“Amazing all around!”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

No words to describe ! Absolutely second to none. Service was above and beyond. Must try lobster Mac and cheese and cream corn.bread pudding is to die for. Worth every penny. Visited many times by family/ owners. They really treat you like valued customers. Must visit if you are in town. A true gem in this city! We have other restaurants on our list to try but can't see how they can be beat. Wished we lived closer!

1  Thank KDWARD99

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I had researched many great places to have our wedding dinner in Charleston. We decided to try Halls Chophouse. Great reviews and the atmosphere caught our attention. We had made our reservation a week before for a party of only 8. When we arrived the place was very busy. We did not mind this, we knew that this place was highly recommended and popular. The hostess brings us to our table, which was right in the middle of all the traffic coming and going. Figured for a larger party we would be having a table in the back or even in a corner but no, we were sat right in front of the entrance to the tiny room with many small tables around us. Our server Jason comes and greets the table and takes our drink orders. He then comes back with a few drinks on the tray and starts to serve them. While he is serving the drinks, the tray of 2 or 3 drinks falls on my mother-in-law. She is now soaked from head to toe and freezing. She didn't want to make a scene because its our wedding dinner. I believe she had to be one of the managers comes over and tries to push a glass of wine or champaign on the house for her. Which she did not want at all because she does not drink.

Our meal arrives and it was out of this world. Everything was cooked perfectly and the flavors went so well together. The only thing we didn't like was when we ordered our $50+ steak entree in addition to the dish if you want sides with them they would cost you more $.So you are just ordering a steak and nothing else on the plate for $50. If you want your vegetables or mashed potatoes to go along with your steak it is additional $12 each. I know when you go out and order an entree it comes with sides. But no, if you want sides you have to pay more for them. WHY??????

At the end of our meal Jason comes and pushes dessert on us. He then tells us that for the incident with the drinks falling on one of their guest he is willing to comp one dessert! ONE DESSERT????? Not a round of drinks, not our bottle of wine for only $38, not our sides to our steak dinners, but ONE DESSERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for only $11.

For such a highly popular and rated #1 place on trip advisor, they DID NOT handle the situation properly. My husband and I will not be going back. For being in the business for 10 years of fine dinning I know thats not how you treat any of your guest! We are very unhappy with Halls!!! We would like to actually be able to speak to the owners if possible.

15  Thank morganh02
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My friend and I were in Hilton Head taking a break from the rigors of operating a boat off-shore when we met a couple from Charleston, our next stop on our boat trip up the east coast to Baltimore. Charleston was our next stop. They told us we had to try Hall's Chophouse; we were glad we did. Hall's is run by two brothers, Billy and Tommy Hall and their mom. By the time we left we felt like we were long lost relatives as they were so friendly and attentive to us.

We ordered our steaks steaks rare and I mentioned I like my steak charred on the outside. Some would call this combination of char and rare interior "Pittsburged". I used to use this term, but most places can't deliver on this preparation, so I usually don't bother.

Our steaks came out exactly like I like them and it was a masterful example of Pittsburg style. Everything we ordered was of the highest quality and flavor.

When we left they called us a cab back the marina and brother, Billy walked us out and put us in the cab.

Great atmosphere, great food, great service; while on the expensive side, it was well worth the price we paid. I will definitely go back and have already had friends go there and have the same experience.

1  Thank MiamiNavyGator
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hall's made us feel at home. One if the owners actually met us at the door and welcomed us. He then checked on our table during our meal. The food was wonderful. Our server(Shelia) did a great job! Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is an excellent restaurant if you wanna spend a few extra bucks and have a special evening... the pianist is great the barmen are awesome and the general service staff make you feel like you were only in yesterday...