“Fabulous!”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 939 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This restaurant is just out of this world! We were given a recommendation to dine here by the Mercedes Rep from Baker Mercedes when in town for the car club dock party! Absolutely out of this world! The bone in ribeye and shrimp and grits are to good to even describe! You just have to try it! A very great spot to enjoy good music and people watch! The wine was wonderful as well. Pricey but worth every penny!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,747)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you are looking for the best steak and service in Charleston, Halls is it!!! I would recommend reservations especially on the weekend. The steaks are the best you can get and the service is world-class. Downstairs can be a bit loud at times -- bar, piano, TVs, entrance, etc., but upstairs is perfect! The selection of wine is very good. Please understand you will be paying all of the above, so bring your $$$$. It will be worth every cent. There isn't a better steakhouse in Charleston, trust me, tried them all.

2  Thank PRFlyer26
Reviewed June 16, 2013

From start to finish, the food didn't miss a mark. We ended up trying just about everyone of the (several) special items that weren't on the menu. Pork Belly? Check. I've not had a lot of bad pork belly in my life... but this was certainly near the top. For sides we went with the mac and cheese and the special brussel sprouts. The sprouts were like vegetable candy. The only miss on the whole night was the mac... and it was a pretty big miss. Tough to mess that up... and I think in the south it probably borders on felonious. Call me crazy - but mac and cheese should be creamy cheese with a nice bite coated al dente noodles (preferably elbow or a similar "tube" pasta). This version I believe had pepper jack. I know as a society we are fascinated by pepper jack cheese... but it doesn't belong on anything labeled as standard mac and cheese.

The entrees were steak and flounder. The steak was perfectly prepared (better be in a chophouse) and came with some truffle butter. Usually, I prefer my steak naked. But I'll make an exception for truffles. You could suspend truffles in lime jello and it probably would be delicious (don't try it... I'm not sure that's accurate...).

They suggested we try the caramel cake after our meal. I'll second that. If I could ship it home with me weekly, I probably would. The caramel icing probably has a street value.

The reviews you will read pretty much describe the place to a T. Lots of family members running around. Several in suits. Most of them will come to visit you. I feel like complaining about that is a little like complaining about Chick Fil A not being open on Sundays. It is just a fact of life. I do agree it is a bit unique and over-the-top but just consider it jumping into the deep-end of the Southern Charm pool.

1  Thank RedDragonThe
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere, great food, great service, great experience. Best filet of all time. A must to include in your Charleston vacation!

1  Thank Mandy3050
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We live in Charleston & Hall's Chophouse is our favorite - great happy hour crowd with live music.
Perfect mix of amazing cocktails, music, friendly knowledgeable staff & the food is perfectly prepared $ delicious - the steak practically melts in your mouth!. If you go for cocktails & appetizers, try the Prime Steak Martini - it's to die for! Every time we visit Hall's, we are greeted with a smile and feel right at home, can't wait to visit again!