“Best Steakhouse in Charleston”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Steakhouse in Charleston”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

A Charleston institution for sure, Halls is by far a one of a kind steakhouse experience. The ambience was eclectic steakhouse right down to the wood panel walls and deep leather booths. The staff is gracious and welcoming, to the point where you feel like family.
The menu is straight forward and simple - steak. And great steak it is. One of the best you will ever have. The food is served ala carte and the sides are generous and can feed a table of 4.
Everything about this restaurant is perfect. Don't forget to get a handful of jellybeans when you leave. They are shipped in from a family business in Salt Lake City and they are just as unique and delicious as this restaurant itself.

Summerville, South Carolina
“Great Brunch in Halls upstairs room”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It was my birthday and I chose to spend it with Halls at their great Chophouse restaurant on King St. One of the specials of the day was the Bison Eggs Bennedict and this was the next great choice I made. The meat was so tender, it didn't feel like I was eating meat. I was given three sauces to try. One for the fantastic scallop potatoes that came with the meal, one for the bison bennedict and the steak sauce just to try. I enjoyed a Bloody Mary and a popover beforehand. My friend's meals were very good also (ribs and filet mignon eggs bennedict). The hospitality, decor, service and value was unmatched by any restaurant that I have been to making this restaurant a five + rating.

• Visited December 2012
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Vibrant, lively, carnivore heaven (N-midtown)”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Went to celebrate a birthday (NOT mine) in September 2012.

Putting aside the fact that there was a BIG Game on TV that night, competing manfully with the piano player (bashing away downstairs) and a raucous crowd, and an ingratiatingly sycophantic Management Greeting, we thoroughly enjoyed our Dinner.

Food - very good. Steaks all round.

Wine - very good.

Service - very good.

LOUD & VERY NOISY.

Great for a crowd or Party - NOT for an intimate Dinner though

Visited June 2012
Marshfield
“A meal - and service - fit for a King !”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had one of the best dinners ever at Halls Chophouse last night. How many restaurants have you ever been to where the owner is at the door welcoming you to his restaurant as if he were welcoming an old friend to his home? This is what Billy Hall does - and it's obvious he does it all the time, and with honest sincerity. No sooner had we sat down at our table, when Mrs. Hall came over to welcome us. We kept wondering if they thought we were some sort of celebrities ... We started with the Bison tartar (nothing short of amazing), followed by bone in filets both done to absolute perfection - and the au gratin potatoes - perfection. The wine selection was perfect and complemented the meal. The service was outstanding - always there when needed, helpful when asked a question, but never in your face or hovering over you. PERFECT SERVICE. But the pièce de résistance was the warm bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Yea - it was an over-the-top meal, but we were celebrating New Year's Eve (a day early) and my wife's birthday - so thank God for AMEX !

• Visited December 2012
“Perfectly yummy!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I was shocked as we entered to be greeted separately by both owners. Impressive! As we were seated probably 3 more employees greeted us and wished us happy New Year. My husband and I both enjoyed a cup of perfect she crab soup. My petite filet and my husbands filet were both cooked to perfection, however I have had more flavorful steaks. We shared the lobster Mac and cheese which was very tasty, but I have had lighter more tender noodles which accent the flavor better. We also shared the chocolate cake which was very tasty.