“Enjoyed our late afternoon lunch”
Review of Alluette's - CLOSED

Alluette's
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Meeting St.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My family arrived for a late lunch. This restaurant is "in the cut" and I would not have found it without the help of my niece. We were greeted by the owner and shown to our seats. We looked at the menu and ordered. While waiting we all had a glass of wine. We were not in a hurry so we were able to have conversation with the owner and among ourselves. We did not wait long for our lunch as all of our entrees were not pre-prepared sitting under a hot lamp. They prepared when we ordered. That was a big plus for me. Nothing worse than old food. Since I have a food allergy, Miss Alluette was able to put my mind at ease when it came to the seasonings. The coleslaw was cold as it should be and my fish sandwich and fries were hot. I will say I was surprised the sandwich was made of sandwich thins I find in the grocery store as opposed to an artisan type bread, but the flounder was well seasoned and tasty.
I have noticed some people have complained of the price. I too think the prices are high, but after spending a long weekend in Hilton Head, I think all coastal SC towns charge a great deal for fresh fish. Yes, as a person who eats a lot of fish, Alluette's fish is fresh. The coleslaw was fresh and not soggy where it had been sitting in the refrigerator over night. Our bill (for my mother and me) was $56(without tip). That included both fish sandwich lunches, 2 glasses of Chateau St. Michelle reisling (by the way the price for the wine was inline with other restaurants I order. It runs from $6-8 a glass), 2 gigantic cookies and a large bottle of bottled water. It's more than I usually pay for lunch, but Charleston is a tourist town and one will pay tourist prices.

I would definitely return!

2  Thank gvldiva

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The fresh food here was great, tasty & satisfying. I had Black Grouper served over spinach. Yummm!!! Shared a home made hummus. My daughter had a burger. Everything was great! The atmosphere was very comfortable. All the tables in the restaurant talking to each other and sharing stories. Special night, great food, awesome hostess. Alluette has a special place here. If you're in a hurry don't come here as everything is made to order. Our food came out nice & hot. The veggies were fresh and the fish superb.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Tourists Beware and locals too. This is a gottcha place and as a resident of Charleston I feel for visitors to our city who get sucked in to this "impostor" of a local place. Whereas I can see how some may be "charmed" by the apparent graciousness of the host owners, I can tell you as a local they were heavy into BS in their conversations with the few patrons. In spite of all the hype, the food was marginal at best. And to top it off the value for the offerings was an insult right down to the $1 charge for a glass of water. I guess it was some sort of "designer" water as the owners were heavy into hyping the health benefits of their locally sourced, organic, made to order offerings. The wine at $10/per glass was flat. I immediately could tell the bottle had been uncorked for some time. So for two "sandwiches"(marginal at best), 3 glasses of wine, one slice of cheesecake and let's not forget the 2 glasses of water at $1 each our tab before tip was $76.00. And oh did I mention the service, we were there for almost 2 hours and for the most part there was only one other couple in the place. We love living in this town and eat out often at the many wonderful restaurants. We're not snobs but I cannot go without raising a big red flag on this one. Soo sorry because this place is not representative of the wonderful restaurants and gracious hospitality of this great city.

5  Thank cjab1817
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This place is amazing. The food was delicious and the owners are such marvelous people who will sit and talk you. Atmosphere waz cozy and inviting. Will definitely be returning and telling our friends.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were in Charleston for 6 days and ate at Alluette's twice! The food is obviously prepared with great care and attention. Local/organic. The salmon patty sandwich was divine. The atmosphere is great and the staff is excellent.