“Tasty treats from south of the border”

Juanita Greenberg's Nacho Royale
Ranked #210 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Enjoyed the drinks and large appetizers, after the bridge run. Those bloody Mary's helped soothe those tired legs.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a place with a fun atmosphere,and decor, that's conducive to heavy duty consumption of alcohol . Having lived in southern CA, and Florida, the overpriced "Mexican" food was inedible.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant by accident - what a lucky find! The fish tacos (with corn tortillas) were the best I've ever had, and the salsa and chips as an appetizer were great too. Good beer list and excellent prices.

1  Thank Buttners
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Ate here with my husband 3 young kids for lunch on a rainy Saturday while visiting downtown Charleston. Location was very convenient for us, parked at the visitor's center. Seating was fun, in a back patio room with plastic walls. (Would be great, I'm sure, in summer as an open air seating area.)

My kids ordered the Nacho Royale...which we figured would be a pile of nachos with toppings. Nope. It's basically a big Mexican pizza. My daughters loved it. It was huge enough that they could have easily shared just one.

Our server was very kind and quick to bring refills, etc. She did me a huge favor and found an outlet across the room to plug my phone charger into. Traveling, I forget how quickly juice runs out when you're taking pictures and using maps, etc. Anyway, I added this just to say, that was cool of her and she didn't have to do that.

The prices were very reasonable -- and next time I'll let my kids share because the portions were more than enough.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We really liked this restaurant, but the entrance and exit seems odd. There is no hostess stand at the front of the restaurant, and it can take a minute for someone to seat you. Meanwhile, the locals that are at the bar area can share your presence, as you're standing amidst them while waiting. The actual seating area is out back in an alleyway, which adds a bit of ambiance with the faux-lanterns and dusty HVAC, but it seemed a little dirty. Granted I'm sure they don't thrive on lunch crowds, as it seems like a good night-spot, but just a bit quirky place.

Now onto the important stuff (the food).
The quesadillas are great, but the mahi needs a different cheese blend. Using the same cheese with a fish-quesadilla and a steak quesadilla is odd. The salsa for the chips was different than the salsa served with the main course, which lead me to believe it was at least semi-fresh. Most dishes we saw come out of the kitchen were served on pizza trays, so plenty of room for a messy eater!