“We had a good time at the aquarium”

South Carolina Aquarium
and up
Sunset Cruise on the Charleston Harbor
Ranked #29 of 241 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun, wonder and education come together at the South Carolina Aquarium. An intimate family-fun adventure, see a rare albino American alligator; get hands-on at the Touch Tank, marvel at the sharks in the Great Ocean Tank, come face-to-face with rays in the Stingray Encounter, or take a behind-the-scenes tour of the Sea Turtle Hospital. Don’t miss our interactive dive shows and animal programs offered daily!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Bristol, NH
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“We had a good time at the aquarium”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was in SC visiting my sister and her children. I brought them here for something fun to do. We had a good time. The 4 year old had a blast in the areas for younger children. The 11 and 14 year old loved the hands on activities. There is a lot to do and you can expect to spend hours there playing and exploring everything. We really enjoyed the 4D movies. I bought the family membership. It was less expensive then purchasing individual passes for each of us. Now we can go back as much as we want for a year. I love the view from the outer walkways overlooking the water.

Saint Joseph, Missouri
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Enjoyed Aquarium & Turtle Hospital Tour”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My family enjoyed visiting the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston last month. Our 2 year old enjoyed the Madagascar Exhibit the most - the play/slide area is a nice area for the toddlers to play. The other exhibits are nice but not very impressive - just average! Our 10 year old daughter loved the Turtle Hospital tour. There is an additional price for this and must be accompanied by an adult - reservations recommended. We called a week in advance & made our reservation. My husband joined her on the tour & he was very impressed too with the amount of information they learned and also the number of turtles that were in the hospital. For older kids, we definitely recommend the turtle hospital tour. The aquarium is great for younger kids and our 10 year old enjoyed it too but she was a little disappointed. We ate at the Aquarium's cafe for lunch while we were there - not much seating & limited selection but the sandwiches were very good! We thought the aquarium tickets were a little overpriced but still enjoyed our visit! Aquarium is located adjacent to Fort Sumter Visitor's Center.

Summerville, South Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fun for all ages!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I went with a friend this time, but I previously had taken my Grandson and daughter-in-love.
They change major exhibits which is nice and makes it new but yet familiar every time. There is plenty of hands on activities and exhibits for children and adults. There are some smashed penny machines for smashed penny enthusiasts.
There is a patio overlooking the ocean and an outdoor enclosure with birds and aquatic life. The laughing gull is located in this area and easily identifiable by his call. The have a cafe with frozen coffee drinks and a rather large gift shop. This is a fun and educational couple of hours. If you have kids in tow this could be a 2-3 hour outing possibly more if your child just loves aquariums. Its smaller than a lot of aquariums I have seen but its better than a lot I have seen!

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun aquarium but expensive”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I liked the aquarium and how it focuses on South Carolina aquatic environments including birds and reptiles. It is a bit expensive for what you get, so plan on taking your time and enjoying everything they offer. My finance and I only went for an hour, so we skipped on the activities.

The customer service is great; everyone is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

If you like learning about South Carolina’s aquatic environment or have kids in grade or middle school, I highly recommend the aquarium. Like I said, it is a bit expensive, so plan on taking your time and enjoying everything they offer.

If you live locally, purchase the year membership, which we did. The membership allows unlimited visits over a year, which makes the price more reasonable. My fiance and I look forward to going back.

Reston, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great for families”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

While we were not traveling with children, the aquarium did an excellent job in programming for the younger audience. Staff kept the children engaged while allowing for adults to enjoy the exhibits too.

Visited March 2012