“Unique shop”
Review of The Brass Pirate - CLOSED

The Brass Pirate
More attraction details
Owner description: A retail shop and adventure store for pirates, historical enthusiasts, junior swashbucklers, and the curious. We offer kids' toys, shirts, hoodies, pirate hats, baseball caps, flags, and much more. Our best seller is the Treasure Hunt; a historical scavenger hunt for information around Charleston that that whole family will love! Treasure Hunt pricing: 1-4 people = $28 + tax 5-6 people = $35 + tax 7 people = $40 + tax 8+ persons = Two kits + tax Additional Treasure Hunt information: Hunts take an estimated 1.5-2.5 hours depending on the group and if the treasure hunters stop for a break, or have smaller children. Treasure Hunt kits are available everyday, all day. We ask that large groups call to make a reservation. Please call for further details.
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My two boys, 6 and 3 LOVE this store. They had so much fun looking around and picking things out. We did the treasure hunt and my 6 year old enjoyed it. Lots of fun and the only pirate store that I know of.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This shop has pretty much anything and everything about pirates. Lots of cool t-shirts, many souvineers ranging from cheap to very expensive, offers a scavenger hunt (we did not have time for that). Located in a small mall across from Bulldog tours in downtown Charleston, with several other shops offering eclectic items plus a pizza place. Definitely a place to stop if you are into pirate stuff or just to browse. The cashier who was working at the time of our visit was very pleasant and helpful. A+ attraction!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Our kids are 16-20 and they really got into this. This walking tour even turned out to be my husband's favorite thing on our 3-day visit to Charleston! Interesting way to see Charleston on foot. I wouldn't substitute this for a real historical walking tour, though, just do one each day. Charleston Footprint is the "normal" walking tour we did and loved it. This is more pirate lore, but it makes for a fun way to get your family to walk around.

1  Thank spasterski
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Whether you're into pirates or not, stop by this shop and try the scavenger hunt. You'll pay a small fee for your group, and in exchange you'll receive a list of clues, map and compass. The clues will lead you to more than 30 interesting sites all over the historic district; it's a great introduction to the city's fascinating history. The whole experience takes a couple of (self-paced) hours, and was fun for both the kids and adults in our group. Upon completion, return to the shop and receive a bag full of great loot. A great value and an absolute blast - don't miss it!

2  Thank tiffykittync
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My family and I (my parents, my brother and me, all adults now — and we still had a great time) were recently in Charleston, and on our first day, we didn't have anything else planned, so we tried the Brass Pirate Treasure Hunt as a way to pass the time and get acquainted with the area. We trekked over to the shop (the other reviews have it right. You go through a hallway that has many other shops; if you see a pizza place when you first walk in, you are in the right place), bought the kit, and were on our way. The kit contained an old-fashioned looking set of instructions, an answer sheet and a compass. You have as much time as you need to complete the answers; we did it in two days because it got too dark to look for clues the first night. The instructions took us on a merry tour around the downtown area and pointed out sites and architecture we definitely wouldn't have seen otherwise. This was a very interesting way to spend the afternoon, and it gives you the freedom to explore the city without a tour guide. A great, original idea. One thing I would have liked, though, is if the instructions had held a little more about the history or significance of each finding. You did learn a lot about Charleston's history, but I thought it could have been better about saying WHY some things were important. All in all, a good experience.

2  Thank phygem