“Trattoria Lucca usually serves excellent food, but their Charleston Restaurant week did not live up to its reputation.”
Review of Trattoria Lucca

Trattoria Lucca
Ranked #45 of 946 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Of the three courses (for $40) only one was successful. The starter of N.C. Calico scallops, with garnish was superb, but the Wahoo, a local fish, was overwhelmed by too much Napa cabbage, and the pork cheek was disappointing. Best to order from their regular menu.
Be warned--the decibel level is high and climbs as the restaurant fills.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our party of three dined at Trattoria Lucca this evening for the first time. Our table was ready for us at 8 PM and the staff was friendly and attentive. The dining room had a nice warm feel to it, reminding us of some the the places we have eaten at in The Village on trips to New York. Our server and his assistants were terrific and the food was very imaginative and delicious. Having said that, there were several negatives that I have to mention. 1: The noise in the restaurant was absolutely mind numbing. After a long day at work, we all were looking forward to our evening out. But...it was as if every table was screaming to be heard above the others, and patrons were literally talking at the top of their voices to their tablemates. I'm not talking about a little elevated ambient noise, but actual shouting conversations. It was so loud that for 90 minutes I could barely hear anything being said by my 2 dinner guests sitting across from me at our table. I know it is a neighborhood restaurant and people were having a good time. No problem with that, but the noise level was sooo loud as to detract from the entire evening's dining experience. It is unfortunate that I could hardly wait to get outside into the quiet night as I would have liked to have enjoyed a nice cup of coffee after our dinner. 2: Because it is Restaurant Week, their four courses for forty dollars was in play. While my guests wanted to try four courses option, I wanted to try some items off of the regular menu. However, we were told by our server that it was all or nothing - either everyone had to order the four course special menu, or everyone would have to order off of the regular dinner menu. So instead of being able to sample some of the other intriquing items on the menu, we all had to order the same four course meal. 3: Was looking forward to a nice robust red wine but just by the glass as my guests are white wine drinkers. I was surprised to find only four red wines avalable by the glass, none of which fit the bill. No super Tuscans or similar, which would have been a nice complement to my meal. Again, I hate to be too critical as this really is a great place. But for as much as we enjoyed the food, the noise would keep me from returning for another dinner with friends, especially if we were looking forward to an evening of good conversation in addition to an excellent meal.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I visited Trattoria Lucca on a busy Friday evening, and was extremely pleased with the restaurant. Our server was extremely helpful, the ambiance was fantastic for a couples' date night, and the food was absolutely delicious. It's not difficult to find great seafood in Charleston, but the dish I had was extremely creative and I would highly recommend their fish of the day.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

romantic atmosphere in amber-glow dining room. the owner is the chef- need i say more? solid service, inventive dishes, good portions, excellent service, lots of regulars from the neighborhood. always eat here when in town.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The street location is not great. But once inside, this delightful restaurant will make you forget everything.

Start with the Warm Cauliflower Sformatino to remove the winter chill from your mind. They also have some wonderful salami with fennel seeds that are terrific.

The fish dishes vary with what is available - but they're all perfectly cooked with delightful sauces and sides. The homemade pasta is as good as it gets.

Desserts are terrific - with lots of coffee options.

Restaurant is pricey - not for children - but definitely worth the cost for a wonderful dinner.

1  Thank Barry G