“Great options!”

Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Lovely, well appointed gourmet shop and cafe. Stations for breakfast/coffee items, deli counter, salad and sushi made-to-order counter and a sandwich/cheese counter. Many premade items available for those that need to grab and go. I ordered a Cheese Toastie which was wonderful. While waiting I investigated the impressive salts offered from around the world...a mini museum for foodies!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a fun, interesting place to go if you're looking for something different for lunch, but be careful not to get overloaded because there is just so much there! I remember being super-overwhelmed the first time I went in and being glad that I was there with people who had been before and knew what they were doing! There's a deli section to buy different salads, pastas, etc., and you pay for those things by the pound. There's a sushi section, a coffee counter, and a sandwich counter. As far as sandwiches go, you place your order, get a yellow ticket, go choose any other drinks or sides you want, and you take your stuff and the yellow ticket to the counter and pay. Then you wait for them to call your name to pick up your freshly made sandwich (maybe you didn't need a play by play, but these types of things tend to stress me out sometimes!). I got their four cheese panini, which is like a grown up grilled cheese, and boy was it rich! They have a drink selection that is huge. They also have candy and other items for sale as well. We had a great lunch; my only regret is that we were not around for happy hour between 4 and 7 because the happy hour food menu looked awesome!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate one breakfast and one dinner here on our trip to Charleston.

Came for breakfast here on a Saturday morning (the George St location). It was just a short walk from our hotel, and we wanted something quick. It's basically a small gourmet market that also sells some prepared food. They also have a location in the market.

We got there once they opened, so it wasn't too busy, but that quickly changed. It was St. Patrick's day weekend, so that could also be why. Noticed a lot of College students coming in.

They no longer carry caviar & bananas (aww) so I had to decide on something else. I finally chose an order of multi grain pancakes with roasted apples and some candied pecans. Hubby chose the fried chicken on a biscuit sans gravy. The kids picked the pecan brioche (pretty much like a pecan sticky bun). Only $2.50!

While we waited for our food, they ate theirs and we picked at it too. These things were good! They were still warm! The nuts were finally chopped, had just the right amount of icing, and were very moist. We also tried the famous sticky buns at Wild Flour Pastry the next day (got the last pecan one--yes!) and they were huge and the dough was excellent. The texture was a bit superior to C&B, but overall I think I liked C&B's better. Perfect balance of flavours, and I actually preferred the chopped pecans.

Our food took quite a while. So much for a quick bite. I would say at least 20 minutes. Could've been because they just opened and were still prepping, but whatever the case that could be improved.

When the pancakes arrived they were very light and fluffy! I was actually surprised because it's hard to find a good multi grain pancake. Toppings were delicious and portion was large. Luckily the kids were still a bit hungry.

Husband's biscuit was good, but obviously dry since he opted out of the gravy. No fault of theirs. The thing was pretty huge though, so come hungry.

We also came for dinner one night after driving to Martha Lou's and discovering it was already closed. We were still pretty full from lunch anyway, so we thought Caviar and Bananas was the perfect answer. They close at 830, so we got there with ½ an hour to spare. Ordered a smoked chicken and seared steak panini, and an order of sushi rolls (can't remember which one). We decided to share all of the above and take them back to the hotel since it was quite late and close to closing anyway.

They took 10% off the sushi (after my husband asked about any discounts since it's the end of day). The sushi was still very good. Tasted great, so I'm sure it'd be even better earlier in the day when it's fresh.

Sandwiches were a good size. Perfect for one, but since we weren't too hungry anyway it was just right. Both were good, but I think I preferred the steak.

All in all a good place to get a cheap-er bite when in Charleston!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'm sure there is some great reason for Caviar and Bananas to have that name, don't care. I can tell you this, its a great cafe with TONS of options. I had an UNREAL pot pie, in which every other turkey pot pie will be measured against. I want it now. The others in my party had sandwiches, salads, numerous deserts, it's just great. I'm bummed my vacation is over and I may never be back. Not a sit down place.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This shop is right in the middle of College of Charleston. It is a high-end deli market type shop with counter service and some tables. It is popular in the morning for pastires and coffee. We stopped in twice. The place was always hopping. The staff is quick and efficient. The pastries look amazing. The coffee is very good. The prices are reasonable.

The only down sides are it can be hard to get a table where you aren't bumped constantly by people in line, and the egg on the breakfast bagel is some horrible precooked mess that you might find at Subway - really surprising and disappointing! On the other hand, the Bagel and Lox was GREAT!

Good for quick stop in - and some really good coffee.