All reviews jefferson suite declaration of independence magnolia room other guests private porch broad street barbados room third floor southern hospitality the main house bed and breakfast off street parking quiche b bs public rooms breakfast was delicious afternoon wine
Reviewed February 28, 2018

We stayed in the Independence Room which was well appointed. The breakfasts were very good and we particularly enjoyed the snack hour with wine and cheese and various other finger food. The house itself is a lesson in history and was very well kept. Innkeepers were quite cordial and accommodating. You could mingle with the other guests or find one of the rooms to have some time to yourself. My favorite was rocking on the porch and taking in the wonderful breezes and architecture all around.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to visit us here at the Governor's House Inn. I'm glad you were able to appreciate the Independence Room and figured out how time on the veranda is one of the special things to do while here. We look forward to you visiting again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2018

My husband and I stayed here on our “babymoon” a couple weeks ago. Overall, it was a really nice B&B. The food (both breakfast and wine hour) was above average but nothing to write home about. But the service was excellent, all of the inn keepers were extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Middleton Suite which is on the second floor (we did here those above us in the morning once but it was horribly disturbing) which was very large and had a private terrace area. The bathroom was huge with tub and shower. The king size bed was beautiful, but the linens/mattress left a lot to be desired for a luxury stay. They provided us with bottled water and we had all the amenities needed for a weekend getaway. Although we really enjoyed our stay and the inn is absolutely beautiful with tons of history and character, I would say it was a little over priced for some of the short comings. One other thing we loved about it was the location. It was a quick 5-10 minute walk to the heart of Charleston. We parked our car in their lot and didn’t need it again until we left after our stay was over.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Bryan S, Manager at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Thank you for your review. I am glad we met some of your expectations and we are always trying to improve. Congratulations on your upcoming baby.

Reviewed February 14, 2018

My husband and I decided to make a trip to Charleston for our anniversary as it fell on
a Saturday this year. I wanted something downtown in the historical district and The
Governor's House Inn seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I was not disappointed!
Beautiful home in a great location! Bryan is such a compliment to this Inn. He made
my husband and I feel very welcome. The breakfast both days we were there were
superb! Also we were upgraded to a suite as construction was taking place near the
room I had booked due to a recent winter storm.Will definitely for another visit!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Thank you for staying with us at the Governor's House Inn. I'm glad you were pleased with your accommodations and with Bryan's special care. We're in our off season, which means we are working extra hard to take care of the weather effects from our recent winter storm. Thank you for understanding and appreciating everything we try to do for all of our guests. We look forward to your next visit to Charleston.

Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our 2 night’s stay here, but beware.... The floors have large cracks in them that can devour jewelry! My ring rolled onto the floor & jst perfectly into a deep crack! It was found only after shining our cell phone light just right. Thank goodness my husband is an old ‘boy scout’/ Marine & was able to fish it out... Deep, 1/4” wide cracks!!
Good breakfast, nice afternoon hors d’oeuvres. Nice ppl. The floor cracks need to be filled - can they???

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2018

Thank you for staying with us here at the Governor's House Inn. I'm sorry you had a ring roll into the crevice of one of our antique floors, but am glad you were able to retrieve it. As we frequently make known to guests we are in Charleston, South Carolina in a home that is 260 years old. This home is a part of America's history as the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence lived here with his family more than 200 years ago. We are not like a newly built Marriott that is carpeted throughout. We are one of two B&B's that have been made available to guests in the South of Broad District and there will likely be no more. With that limitation comes some issues such as dealing with antique flooring. Sometimes that can be frustrating and and for that we apologize.

I'm glad you really enjoyed your 2 night stay. We do our best to make sure guests find our staff ready to do everything possible to make a stay special and memorable. I'm also glad you appreciated our breakfast and afternoon wine hour.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 29, 2018

My husband and I just returned home from a three day trip to Charleston and stayed in the Laurens room at The Governor's House Inn. My sister and brother in law were with us and had a separate room/suite. We were impressed by how welcome the staff made us feel. Bryan and others were very kind and the breakfasts were delicious (not to mention the 5:00 social time where they served us homemade deviled eggs and other treats). The room was beautiful, as was the entire house and we enjoyed visiting with other guests who stayed there. We would definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

We're so glad you enjoyed your time here and felt well served by Bryan and the rest of our staff. They really are very special as they work very hard to make every guest feel right at home. Thank you as well for recognizing the beauty of this amazing residence. There isn't a day that goes by where we aren't working to make it better. I still find it amazing that guests can visit and sleep under the same roof as a signer of the Declaration of Independence. I'm not aware of another home in America where that can occur.

Please come back and see us soon.