All reviews jefferson suite declaration of independence magnolia room other guests private porch broad street barbados room breakfast and afternoon tea third floor southern hospitality the main house bed and breakfast off street parking quiche b bs public rooms breakfast was delicious
Reviewed February 18, 2018

My husband and I stayed here on our “babymoon” a couple weeks ago. Overall, it was a really nice B&B. The food (both breakfast and wine hour) was above average but nothing to write home about. But the service was excellent, all of the inn keepers were extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Middleton Suite which is on the second floor (we did here those above us in the morning once but it was horribly disturbing) which was very large and had a private terrace area. The bathroom was huge with tub and shower. The king size bed was beautiful, but the linens/mattress left a lot to be desired for a luxury stay. They provided us with bottled water and we had all the amenities needed for a weekend getaway. Although we really enjoyed our stay and the inn is absolutely beautiful with tons of history and character, I would say it was a little over priced for some of the short comings. One other thing we loved about it was the location. It was a quick 5-10 minute walk to the heart of Charleston. We parked our car in their lot and didn’t need it again until we left after our stay was over.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Bryan S, Manager at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Thank you for your review. I am glad we met some of your expectations and we are always trying to improve. Congratulations on your upcoming baby.

Reviewed February 14, 2018

My husband and I decided to make a trip to Charleston for our anniversary as it fell on
a Saturday this year. I wanted something downtown in the historical district and The
Governor's House Inn seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I was not disappointed!
Beautiful home in a great location! Bryan is such a compliment to this Inn. He made
my husband and I feel very welcome. The breakfast both days we were there were
superb! Also we were upgraded to a suite as construction was taking place near the
room I had booked due to a recent winter storm.Will definitely for another visit!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Thank you for staying with us at the Governor's House Inn. I'm glad you were pleased with your accommodations and with Bryan's special care. We're in our off season, which means we are working extra hard to take care of the weather effects from our recent winter storm. Thank you for understanding and appreciating everything we try to do for all of our guests. We look forward to your next visit to Charleston.

Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our 2 night’s stay here, but beware.... The floors have large cracks in them that can devour jewelry! My ring rolled onto the floor & jst perfectly into a deep crack! It was found only after shining our cell phone light just right. Thank goodness my husband is an old ‘boy scout’/ Marine & was able to fish it out... Deep, 1/4” wide cracks!!
Good breakfast, nice afternoon hors d’oeuvres. Nice ppl. The floor cracks need to be filled - can they???

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2018

Thank you for staying with us here at the Governor's House Inn. I'm sorry you had a ring roll into the crevice of one of our antique floors, but am glad you were able to retrieve it. As we frequently make known to guests we are in Charleston, South Carolina in a home that is 260 years old. This home is a part of America's history as the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence lived here with his family more than 200 years ago. We are not like a newly built Marriott that is carpeted throughout. We are one of two B&B's that have been made available to guests in the South of Broad District and there will likely be no more. With that limitation comes some issues such as dealing with antique flooring. Sometimes that can be frustrating and and for that we apologize.

I'm glad you really enjoyed your 2 night stay. We do our best to make sure guests find our staff ready to do everything possible to make a stay special and memorable. I'm also glad you appreciated our breakfast and afternoon wine hour.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 29, 2018

My husband and I just returned home from a three day trip to Charleston and stayed in the Laurens room at The Governor's House Inn. My sister and brother in law were with us and had a separate room/suite. We were impressed by how welcome the staff made us feel. Bryan and others were very kind and the breakfasts were delicious (not to mention the 5:00 social time where they served us homemade deviled eggs and other treats). The room was beautiful, as was the entire house and we enjoyed visiting with other guests who stayed there. We would definitely stay there again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

We're so glad you enjoyed your time here and felt well served by Bryan and the rest of our staff. They really are very special as they work very hard to make every guest feel right at home. Thank you as well for recognizing the beauty of this amazing residence. There isn't a day that goes by where we aren't working to make it better. I still find it amazing that guests can visit and sleep under the same roof as a signer of the Declaration of Independence. I'm not aware of another home in America where that can occur.

Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2018

We stayed here three years ago and enjoyed it very much! Our stay last night was a big disappointment. Although the room we were given on the first floor was comfortable, it was not the room we had requested. We were told the pipes had burst and damaged the room that was so beautiful on the second floor. There definitely was evidence of damage to the ceiling in the dining room. Our biggest issue was the breakfast we had! The quiche was okay, but lukewarm. The “fresh fruit” had gone bad and should have been thrown out! The bacon and coffee saved the meal! There were no pastries offered at all! I read the other reviews and thought we must have stayed at the wrong place! The one thing we remembered 3 years ago was the wonderful breakfast. We were the only guests there, but, unfortunately, we did not feel like guests! The house felt tired, in need of loving care and ownership. More attention needs to be given to making ALL guests feel welcome, whether the inn is full, or you are the only ones there! I would have given this a lower rating but we do think the house has redeeming qualities as a great location.

3  Thank MMV2018
TravelingGuy1977, Owner at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2018

We are so sorry you were less than pleased with your stay. We admit we had problems with the recent 5 inches of snow and deep freeze we experienced here in Charleston. While the house was beautiful with the snow (as may be seen on the Facebook postings) we suffered terribly from the experience. We woke up to a broken outdoor copper water pipe, which caused water to flow everywhere around us. We even experienced water coming into the house from the dining room ceiling. We immediately had to turn off water to the entire house with plumbers immediately being called in to repair pipes, update various lines and replace plumbing. Adding to the headache was the breakdown of the HVAC in one of our upstairs suites. We had to close the room for a week while heating and air workers completely overhauled the system with new equipment. No doubt you were in that room, which likely caused your frustration.We realize how not receiving what you anticipated can cause a trip to go downhill quickly. We simply could not allow you to stay in an unheated room in a 260 year old antique home with nighttime temperatures at or below freezing. We wish the room was in the proper shape to allow you to experience the trip as you had anticipated.

Please know that we are constantly updating this home and everything about it. In the last two years we have repainted nearly the entire exterior of the home, overhauled 7 of the 11 rooms, replaced HVAC units in 4 rooms and reupholstered more furniture than anyone could ever imagine. As I have previously explained to others - you can't go to the gym and expect immediate results. The results come with hard work and we are definitely working hard at the Governor's House Inn.

I'm sorry you were so unhappy with your breakfast. I cannot tell from your review if you mentioned your displeasure to whoever was serving breakfast that day as it should and would have immediately been remedied. In the meantime I will look into the matter to see what went wrong and how this can be fixed going forward. Thank you for writing.