“Double booking=S.O.L.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
A Bed and Breakfast at 4 Unity Alley
Ranked #29 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Lawrence
“Double booking=S.O.L.”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked (or so I thought) a reservation with these guys several weeks ago and had already planned a lot of my trip during peak, spring season. Only to find out 3 weeks after booking, and 2-weeks before my trip that they double booked and we did not in fact have a room.
I thought there may have been some confusion when I was asked for an confirmation and it was never sent. Then they had some confusion as to what was going on and left a voicemail for me to call them back. I did and they were confused as to why I was calling, in response to your voicemail telling me to call is why. Again I asked for an email confirmation and nothing. I should note that I asked for an email confirmation because they mentioned not paying taxes if you pay with cash (I'm sure this is highly illegal and the Charleston CVB will be interested to hear about this shady business practice).
After all of that they sent me a 3 sentance email saying, "sorry we double booked and don't have a room for you." No offer to help or assist in anyway as I'm left scrambling to find accommodations downtown and might be staying across the river because these guys screwed me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kueric09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was a great choice. I am glad we stayed. Normally we are hotel visitors, but in Charleston all the chain hotels are pretty far North and would be a long walk to the center of the district (even if they say historic district). If you have never been to Charleston, I would recommend staying between Market Street and Broad Street (my 1st choice) or South of Broad in the beautiful residential area (my 2nd choice) - can't go wrong with either, however. Unity Alley was great. It is very a quiet alley but only a half block from Bay Street restaurants. I think there was only 4 rooms, all on 2nd floor and requires stairs. The rooms open to a balcony that overlooks the commons area and outdoor courtyard. You enter the B&B walking through the unique garage and then into the courtyard and finally into the living area. Breakfast was great. No problems at all with the hosts or the accommodations.....while in Charleston can I recommend the Trot and Walk (we went with Palmetto booked in advance). I didn't realize (most don't) that Charleston restricts the number of carriages out and as such all of the carriage rides are limited to one of 3 zones. The drivers don't know what zone they will be going to until the city randomly gives them a number after you are on board. The point is, the walking portion then allows the driver to walk you to the other 2 zones and describe historical points.. Thus, be sure to do the trot and walk. We also really enjoyed walking South of Broad to see the beautiful homes. Also take a stroll through college of Charleston - it is beautiful. Stopped at Barnes & Noble by the college and bought high quality College of Charleston shirts, etc. for our kids. Much better than the tourist stuff elsewhere. You must try desert at Kaminsky's on market street.

Room Tip: I think two rooms have king beds and the other two have queen.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 21JackJ
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here in September and really enjoyed our experience. First of all, you absolutely can not beat the location. Steps from so many great restaurants and just a short walk to Rainbow Row and the waterfront. We parked our car in their private garage and didn't move it until we left!

The room we stayed in (above the kitchen area) was great. Quiet and spacious. Everything was very clean. The artwork in the common areas is wonderful and there is a very cute little terrace in the middle of the building that is a great place to have a cup of their wonderful coffee in the morning! The breakfast was tasty and enjoyable. They even made breakfast early for us the day that we left since we had to get to the airport.

The one thing I would mention is that the owner/manager is pretty hands-off. Don't expect to sit and chat or get a tour of the area. They check you in and are cordial and nice, but not overly interactive. This was fine for us as we really just wanted to enjoy our getaway with each other. And, yes, you have to call when you get there as they will need to let you in. We had to wait an hour before someone could get us into our room (this was before the stated check-in, so it was our own fault) but we just went over to the Rooftop and had drinks so it was fine. :)

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sara K
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2013

What a wonderful, peaceful, private B+B in a great city! Perfect location. You do not need to go to any art galleries in town; the place is filled with many objects d'art that could be found in any major museum in the world. Thank you all for your hospitality. If i could give it 6 stars, i would. I hope to return one day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mirtoguy
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

This place is so cool, tucked away in an alley right in the thick of the restraunt district of downtown historic Charleston. When you drive up, you will be ushered into a private, locked garage where your car can stay and still give you easy access. The house is very nice, the owner is an artist who works with wood and his pieces are all over. We stayed above the garage, the only complaint I have is that the walls seem thin. I could hear the guy next to us, and the alley is a little noisy due to the restaurant next door. Honestly though, with the location, room size/amenities, and the price, you can't beat it. The breakfast was great and the people were sweet. What more can you ask for?!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This bed and breakfast is not only located right in Charleston's downtown. This means than once you arrive, you can forget all about your car and walk to Charleston's main attractions, bars and restaurants. But more impressively, this bed and breakfast is also an old typical Charleston house, and the decoration is gorgeous. The rooms are very spacious, and almost look like a suite.
Finally, although it's a bit expensive (225 dollars a night), it'sstill much cheaper than other options, thus making it a very good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank mariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My daughter thought we were staying in a castle. From the gorgeous architecture and garden to the beautiful breakfast table and all of the amazing pieces of art and detail in between, we loved our stay here. It's well worth the price -location is key and service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family