“Absolutely Perfect!!”

Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
orlando
“Absolutely Perfect!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Plantes Inn, in a Kings Deluxe room that was so beautiful and very spacious. It capture the Charleston charm I wanted with a king four poster bed with a canopy. It was very clean, it had beautiful decor and a nice sitting area with a window that overlooked the courtyard which so relaxing and beautiful. If you stay at the planters inn, you have to stay in one of the rooms with the courtyard. My boyfriend and I sat in the courtyard and drank wine one night for an hour and then just walked right into our room. The favorite thing about the room was the whirlpool tub in the bathroom. So romantic and so big! I loved it. The rest of the hotel was beautifully decorated as well and luxerious too.
The service at the hotel was wonderful, one of the best attributes. Bo and Jeffrey were wonderful attendants and we never had one problem. Whenever we needed anything is was delievered to our room very promptly.
The location of Planters Inn is definately something to brag about. We never had to drive anywhere as we were in the center of it all, right next to a ton of resturants and the market. When staying in charleston, location is important because it is hard to drive anywhere so you want to be able to walk. I walked around Charleston and saw where the other hotels were located, and Planters Inn definately has the best location!
We also had dinner at the Pensuila Grill. It was very romantic and one of the best meals my boyfriend has ever had, and the wine was the best I have ever tasted. It was expensive, but worth everypenny. Our waitor was very attentive, knowledgeable and nice. He was the one that recommended the amazing wine!
I can't rave enough about this hotel. This was by far the best hotel my boyfriend and I have stayed at. I was very weary about staying here because of some of the reviews but it exceded by expecations by far! Some people complain about the noise in Charleston but I never heard a thing in the room! I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and I plan on it! To sum it up, ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank emichele22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2005

We stayed here for three days in February. The location is fantastic -- right across the old market place and within walking distance of everything in the historic district. The inn has a wonderful atmosphere. It's historic and charming without feeling creepy, the way some older hotels can sometimes feel. There's a lovely sitting room, where you can read or browse through a collection of menus from Charleston's restaurants (very useful.)

We stayed in a King's Deluxe room. Ours had a sitting area, but others feature a whirlpool bath or fireplace. The room faced the courtyard, so it was a little less noisy than those that face the street. The restaurant (Peninsula Grill) is excellent. We had a wonderful dinner there on Valentine's Day. We also had a couple of breakfasts there. It was too cold to eat outside, but on a warm day, the courtyard looked like a very pleasant place to have breakfast.

I would have given this inn a 5, but there were a few things that make me hesitate. First, the internal soundproofing leaves something to be desired. I could clearly hear the plumbing next door, as well as the (muffled) conversation of the room's occupants. I expected to hear street noise; this is a city, after all. But I didn't expect to have to listen to plumbing noises, too.

Second, although our room was large, there was only one window, so the amount of natural light in the room was inadequate. Even on a sunny day, we had to leave the lights on. The bathroom, although perfectly adequate, was not luxurious by today's standards.

Third, the inn claims to provide cocktails and iced tea in the sitting room in the afternoon. But no one came in while we were there to offer us any refreshments. There was some iced tea (I think) on the table, so I suppose you're meant to help yourself. But that was a far cry from what I was expecting. Overall, the service was okay, but nothing to write home about.

And the inn is expensive. We paid $325 a night during February, which is the slow season. The inn also charged $1.50 for every call I made, including ones on my calling card. (I hate that! Not so much for the cost, but because it makes you feel like you're being nickel and dimed to death.) Breakfast is not included; you have to pay $10 for a continental breakfast, and more for a cooked one, plus tax and tip, of course. Thank goodness we didn't have a car, as you apparently also have to pay for valet parking.

We enjoyed this hotel a lot, and we're glad we stayed here. But be prepared for some noise, and don't expect to have a lot of things thrown in for free!

10 Thank SkyeTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2004

I have nothing but the highest praise for this quaint establishment, probably often overlooked by those who opt for the Charleston Place across the street. The place was recently refurbished and it shows. Also carries an old world, Southern charm, but with little touches that make a huge difference… Like the orange-spiced sweet tea and fresh apples served in the parlor every day, all day…Or the elaborate menu collection of the local restaurants which you can casually flip through as you sip your sweet tea… Or the personalized envelope on your bed when you first enter your room, inside which you’ll find a note from the manager wishing you a pleasant stay…And that if there is anything they could do to make your stay better, to let them know. The first room they gave us was literally next to the reception area, facing the very busy meeting street. Very beautiful room, but a bit concerned after having read numerous warnings about the potential noise level.

• Stayed August 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2004

Just returned from a weekend here. Lovely, quiet room. Only sound at all was a garbage truck on the street one morning. Would definitely return.

2 Thank ADuhrer
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2004

This is was our tenth trip to Charleston(obviously we love it) and a new guest at the Planter's Inn. Everyone was very accomodating, the room was beautiful and large. The only thing we would prefer is having a wine and cheese reception in the afternoon, and some type of breakfast included. The latter two items seem to be the norm in Charleston Inns and are the only thing that would keep us from returning again.

4 Thank gardenercc