“Ideal location for Charleston getaway”
Review of Planters Inn

Planters Inn
Ranked #11 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We recently stayed at the Planters Inn for a short getaway weekend to Charleston. Being new to Charleston, I used a combination of Trip Advisor reviews and recommendations to choose the Planters Inn. We were not disappointed. We had what I'd call a standard room with a king, on the fourth floor. The room was what I'd call average size, with an above average size bathroom. Some of the room furniture did show some wear (scratches on the high-post bed and TV), however that is not unusual to see in a resort enviornment. We loved the small sitting room to the left of the entrance, with complimentary beverages available throughout the day. An oasis in sea of tourism.

The location was superior--we had a view of the market from our room, and were able to walk to everything we wanted to see or do. Please note this isn't always the case for every property--keep proximity to the market, King St and East Bay St in mind when booking.

The value was fine--the Planters Inn was in range for the class of hotel, which was probably about $100 more than the Doubletree that was literally a half block away. However the boutique feel of the Planters Inn made me feel the additional cost was worth it. One thing I'd recommend if you are considering a stay is to check travel websites--we saved $25 a night and got a better deal on the cancellation policy booking through hotels.com.

1  Thank CentralPA04
Write a ReviewReviews (1,918)

Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the Planters Inn and can highly recommend it. Our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast was good but not fantastic. The location is great - one block from King Street and right at the market. The staff was always curtious and helpful.

2  Thank maryjoonthego
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I don't think we could have had a better experience! The room was great and everything we wanted. The service was so wonderful checked in at 6 a.m. and everyone was very helpful. Bertha was amazing. Everything we did she recommended and it was always a wonderful experience. She made our stay so wonderful and had the best personality. We will definitely go back! Thanks for everything Bertha and staff.

Tripp Williamson and Lizzie Holyfield

1  Thank bjwillia3
Reviewed March 10, 2009

My FI and I didn't quite know what to expect with the hotels in Charleston and have grown quite used to more modern hotels, so you can understand why we had some problems finding a hotel in Charleston. We knew that we wanted to stay in the Historic District from research, but since we had never been there before, we didn't know exactly where the best place to stay was. So, we narrowed our search down to the three best hotels according to Trip Advisor in our price range and waited til the last minute to see who had the best deal. And that's how we decided on the Planter's Inn.
Fast forward to when we got there.
First of all, the location of this hotel is perfect. It is within walking distance of everything you could possibly want to do in this cute little town. My FI and I found that Market Street had Straw Market (a type of flea market) which is the street that the hotel is on, King Street with the mall-type shops (it was like a little mini-5th avenue) which was one block away from the hotel, and a lot of the trendy bars and restaurants on East Bay, which was a block in the other direction from King Street.
Also, the room was gorgeous. I was a little worried from the pictures that I'd feel like I was staying in my grandmother's guest bedroom, but it was such a wonderful surprise when we got there. There was a fresh rose in the marble bathroom and a four poster bed that was quite comfortable. They do turn-down service every night and we got fresh towels every morning. When we walked in there was a little note addressed to my FI thanking us for staying with them. I loved all the little touches. My FI was a little freaked out with the Mr. this and Mr. that, but I thought it was a very nice touch.
All in all, we loved our stay and I definitely want to stay here the next time we come.
Our only complaint (which was extremely minor) was that when I was blow drying my hair, I saw about 10 dead spiders under the sink, but they were very small and everything else in the room and bathroom was absolutely spotless.

1  Thank atlbride09
Reviewed February 28, 2009

This is an ok hotel, in a wonderful location, if you're interested in Charleston historic sites and in the better restaurants. However, for the 5 star rating and reputation, it is a disappointment. Our room was quite small, did not have a refrigerator or a coffee maker, which we have come to expect in better hotels. The room itself was furnished with faux antiques which were so big that there was very little floor space in which to walk. The television was far too small for the room ( even though the room itself was quite small) and was hard to watch without a bed post being in the way! My wife and I were here for two nights (Feb 25 and 26) and found it to be less than advertised. The bellmen and front desk staff (with the exception of the night auditor) were outstanding. They were friendly without becoming intrusive and remembered our name, etc. However, there is a general lack of attention to detail and problems are not corrected promptly (our toilet would not stop running after a flush unless we removed the top and manually pushed the "flapper" into place). We had to report this twice before it was fixed. Our finding of lack of attention to detail would not be disturbing at the Holiday Inn Express but in a hotel like this, it is disturbing. These are small things like shower curtains that do not really fit the enclosure, cold coffee in the guest area at 7AM (when the night auditor essentially told me that he was going off and the new shift would rectify the problem), running out of newspapers in the morning and responding to the inquiry with "sorry 'bout that". All things that in a less expensive establishment would be tolerable, perhaps.
The continental breakfast which was included in our room package was about what might be expected in a far less costly setting. Served in the beautiful dining room of the Peninsula Grill, it should be an embarrassment to the management. Both mornings, we had to request butter for our bread, as it is apparently not a normal component of the buffet. The fruit appeared to be poor quality, and so forth. The servers were quite nice and polite but appeared to be functionally disorganized.
If you still intend to stay here (and I note that most of the other reviews are all superlative, be sure and ask about getting a room which is not going to have the garbage truck and street sweeper noise serenading you at 5 AM, as we did, on both mornings. The noise is horrendous and ruined two good nights' sleep for us.

The Peninsula Grill, on the other hand, is excellent. The food is superb and the service is even better. I just cannot say enough about their food or wait staff. Some of the finest I've ever encountered. There is one glaring error in judgement by management and that is the establishment of the highest corkage I have ever encountered. My wife and are wine collectors and enjoy taking our own wines to fine restaurants. If restaurants do not wish to allow this, they should simply state that it is not their policy to allow corkage. Otherwise, the corkage should be reasonable. $40.00/bottle is not reasonable.
Aside from that , the Peninsula Grill is a very fine restaurant.

1  Thank DickGreenville_SC
Planters_Inn, Hotel Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2009

I would like to personally extend my apologies for the less than perfect experience you had at our property. I appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback on areas we can improve on at The Planter’s Inn. It allows us the opportunity to address these issues and to further improve the overall experience of our guests. In response, we have taken immediate action to ensure that such mishaps will not happen again.

Each of our guest rooms and suites offers furnishings of the highest caliber. Our beds are all handmade by Baker Furniture from their Historic Charleston Collection, and the overall ambience and size of our rooms lends a residential feel to each of our accommodations. All of our oversized, Italian marble bathrooms offer either a full size tub and shower combination or a glass shower and a separate oversized soaking tub. While each guest room is unique, they all have in common the superb attention to detail and the same excellence of design that has placed them easily among the most desirable accommodations in Charleston. We strive to offer an unparalleled and different experience that is inextricably linked with our city’s finest traditions.

I encourage all of our guests to voice their concerns during their stay directly to our management team. I am confident that we would have been able to make your stay unforgettable.

Bradley Dickerson Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 24, 2009

We just spent two days here and we loved it. We had the deluxe king room, the room was very nice, everything was immaculate. The staff here could not have been nicer or more helpful. The hotel is very conveniently located. Not to mention the food at The Plantation restaurant at the hotel was our favorite meal of the trip!

1  Thank LilGeneral
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I took advantage of the "Bear Market" deals that this excellent hotel offered through February. Check-in was seamless and easy. The hotel was beautiful, the room was spacious, well-appointed, and spotless, and the location could not have been more convenient. We were within easy walking distance to shopping and fine dining. The hotel's greatest asset is the extremely friendly and helpful staff. Many of the staff called us by name during our stay, which made us feel important - eventhough we are just run of the mill deal-seeking travelers. Great service and attention to detail are things that many hotels lack these days, but not the Planters Inn. Historic Charleston is a great city to visit and the hotel only added to the charm and sophistication. An excellent and enjoyable experience and we highly recommend this hotel to other travelers, it was a real treat.

2  Thank BaseNc