“Superb Rooms & Service”

Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Asheville, NC
“Superb Rooms & Service”
Reviewed December 7, 2008

I have just returned from a weekend in Charleston at the Planters Inn. I could not have been more impressed with this oasis of calm and comfort in the middle of the bustling historic section of town. Spacious and comfortable bedroom / living room and good-sized bathroom as well. Their staff was incredible -- polite, professional, and courteous. Valet always brought our car around quickly. Concierge gave spot-on recommendations for lunch and breakfast spots. And when I had to leave the hotel at 4:30 AM on Saturday, they had fresh coffee ready for me. We will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank lpmartin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed here for one night while on a girl's getaway weekend to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. Upon arrival the bell person unloaded our car and arranged valet, while having us check-in. Once check-in was complete he took us up to our room and got all of our luggage unloaded and set up and familiarized us with the room and the inn in general. The room and bathroom were both very wonderfully sized and nicely appointed. The bed and bedding were very comfortable. The bathing linens were plush and bright white (lovely!). The lobby and lounge/living area downstairs were beautifully cozy and very delightful. There was iced tea and lemonade available during the day and coffee and hot tea in the morning and evening. The Inn was very accomodating when we asked for an extra late check-out -- one of us fell sick with the flu and needed some extra time to rest before leaving Charleston. The location is great, very close to shopping in the Slave's Market and the shopping strip with all the upscale boutiques and Sak's Fifth Avenue. The best sweet shop for pralines in just a few doors down, River Street Sweets, don't miss this!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Self Parking
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaryBethOnTheGo-Go
Louisiana
Reviewed November 19, 2008

I am what you call a hotel snob or you could call me an obsessive compulsive aficionado of hotels. Basically I am very, very picky and I only stay in 4-5 star hotels. When my wife and I were planning our trip to Charleston, we looked at the reviews and the location of the Planters Inn, and decided to give it a shot. We got in about 10:30 at night and checked in right away. The lobby of the hotel is small but beautiful. Heart of Pine floors and 18th century portraits of southern politicians and planters dot the avocado colored walls. Next to the lobby, there is a lounge area with some couches and chairs and a table with some refreshments. Very cozy. While I was checking us in, the person checking us in said there was hot tea in the lounge area if we wanted some. My wife went to make the tea and cold water came out of the silver spigot. I guess I could understand the hot water turning cold at 2:30 in the morning because nobody is up. But at 10:30 or 11:00 or even midnight, you would expect hot water for tea if they have it set out for anybody. Our room was nice. I would not say it looked exactly like the room from their website. The room in the website had a fireplace. We did not have a fireplace. There was king size, four poster bed and a bench at the end of the bed. Also, there was a writing desk and a chair with an ottoman. It was a decent room, nothing spectacular. In a hotel such as the Planters Inn, you would expect flat screen televisions. Our tv was circa 1985. Also, the bathroom was mediocre at best. It was a nice size with decent looking fixtures. However, the shower was a tiny bathtub with a curtain. Also the toilet was strange. I think it was smaller than most other toilets. The bed was comfortable, but not incredibly comfortable. The air conditioner was too loud. I love room service. Everybody loves room service. When I woke up the first morning, the first thing I grabbed was the room service menu. I looked it over and noticed that you could only order some continental breakfast items and some coffee. That really ticked me off. So my wife and I went downstairs to the restaurant in the hotel for breakfast which supposedly is one of the best restaurants in Charleston. It was very good. Later on in the day after exploring Charleston, I went over to the sitting area to grab some hot coffee. Guess what, it was cold. I went over to the other spigot for some hot water. Guess what, it was empty. That same Saturday morning, I asked the front desk if I could have a paper. She said yes, but I had to pay for it. And she said it in a kind of rude tone, which made me a little angry inside. Here's the main problem: The Planters Inn charged me $369 a night. A hotel like this should charge no more than maybe $120 a night, because it is a 2 star hotel charging what a 4-5 star hotel charges. If you are planning on staying there and getting Four Seasons treatment, that aint going to happen. More like 2 Seasons treatment.

• Liked — lobby
  • Disliked — a number of things
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank usopenman
pimanagment, Hotel Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2008
We would like to thank Usopenman for taking the time to address concerns and for providing feedback on areas we can improve on at The Planters Inn. In response, we have taken action to ensure the hot beverage service in our parlor , while served in insulated urns, is up to our exacting standards at all times. Usopenman is correct that we need to check for appropriate temperatures even late at night.
Each of our guest rooms and suites offers furnishings of the highest caliber. Our beds are all handmade by Baker Furniture from their Historic Charleston Collection, and the overall ambience and size of our rooms lends a residential feel to each of our accommodations. All of our oversized, Italian marble bathrooms offer either a full size tub and shower combination or a glass shower and a separate oversized soaking tub. While each guest room is unique, they all have in common the superb attention to detail and the same excellence of design that has placed them easily among the most desirable accommodations in Charleston.
We strive to offer an unparalleled, world-class experience that is inextricably linked with our city’s finest traditions. Our location at the heart of the city’s beautiful Historic District is second to none. Our dining room at Peninsula Grill is nationally recognized as one of the city’s premier restaurants. While our service staff is highly trained, despite our best efforts, there will be the occasional instance where improvement is needed. We are appreciative of this feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to address these areas and to further improve the overall experience of our guests.
South Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Room not as described when booked and PAID. First room was too small for a walker to get through without extra effort. We had requested a balcony room and the inhouse agent understood our needs, or so I was given to believe. Wrong. We were changed to another room which did meet our needs, but the weekend was miserable for me because I could see stuff (nuts, etc.) on the carpet that we did not bring with us or were not using, and many members of the staff were either uncaring or not thinking. The manager said the hotel's policy included several things that we were not told while there, or that were not followed by his staff.

There are many marvelous hotels in Charleston, SC. This is not one.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Our stay there
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hwillis
pimanagment, Hotel Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
On behalf of the Planters Inn and staff we are disappointed to read such comments regarding our service. I am pleased we were able to rectify the room assignment with a prompt change to the preferred location and room choice.

We take great pride in offering our guests the best possible experience and from the list of other positive reviews on trip advisor we are confident in our routinely recognized "great" and "friendly service".

For these reasons, we feel strongly that the most recent reviewer was not a true representation of the property, our level of service, or a true Planters Inn experience. If we have fallen short of expectation we sincerely hope the guest has the opportunity to return to the Planters Inn for what we both come to expect; and are proud to offer. As we are convinced the experiences reported are the undoubtedly the "exception" and far from the norm.
new york
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Arlene from New York

My husband and I stayed at the Planters Inn for 2 nights. I can't say enough about this hotel.
We were greeted by Beau ( a very nice and knowlegable young man) who took care of the check in and taking us to our room.
It was done quickly and smooothly. He made a reservation for us at the Peninsula Restaurant which is right in the hotel for that evening.
Our room was beautiful! It was spacious and so very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the room was extremely quiet.

The Peninsula restaurant was awesome-----great service and delicious food. We were greeted by Bridget who was so helpful and sweet. She couldn't do enough for us.
This was a special dining experience.

The location of the Planters Inn is in the center of the historic district. It is in walking distance to great shops, restaurants and attractions. We found the horse and carriage tour to be very interesting and informative.

The morning we checked out our car was immediately brought around and we checked out in no time at all. The staff at the front desk was always helpful and extremely friendly.

We wil definitely stay at the Planters Inn on our next trip to Charleston.

• Liked — the cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — there was nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank breezyarl
New Jersey
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Excellent hotel, very polite staff, clean room.

• Liked — Location and its quaintness
  • Disliked — no spa or pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NJBrit
North Carolina
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Yes I know, a little "o c d" for just a weekend getaway... but hey, it was worth it! After going back and forth with the top hotels of this site, I chose the Planters Inn mainly because of the great reviews it already had, also because it was in the Conde Nast Traveler Mag.

We chose the Land and Sea package (fantastic price) It was the best package of all the hotels/inns I researched.

I booked online (very skeptical about things like that) they had everything in order when we arrived at the inn. I should mention we arrived 3 1/2 hours earlier then checkin time....they had no problem getting us into our room early. Great Service.

Very clean, felt right at home. (I am a clean freak) I actually got in the jetted tub, and felt comfortable. (A big no no for me in public bathrooms like that)

The bed, linens, and pillows were fantastic. (We stayed in the kings deluxe)

The only down-side I can think of, was that you could hear a certain amount of noise from the outside. Although taking into consideration we checked in early Fri (thats when it was the most noticable) that may have been why (cleaning and what not)

All in all it was beautiful and relaxing. I would highly recommend Mercado, and Charleston Grill, for a fantasic culinary experience and buba gumps for lunch. Hope your stay (wherever it may be) be as great as ours!

PS. If you want to see a beautiful plantation home Boone Hall Plantation blew me away. (They filmed "The Patriot", as well as "North&South" there...)

• Liked — The comfort
  • Disliked — Small noise factor in room 228
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled as a couple