“Not good”

Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
South Carolina
“Not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

Room not as described when booked and PAID. First room was too small for a walker to get through without extra effort. We had requested a balcony room and the inhouse agent understood our needs, or so I was given to believe. Wrong. We were changed to another room which did meet our needs, but the weekend was miserable for me because I could see stuff (nuts, etc.) on the carpet that we did not bring with us or were not using, and many members of the staff were either uncaring or not thinking. The manager said the hotel's policy included several things that we were not told while there, or that were not followed by his staff.

There are many marvelous hotels in Charleston, SC. This is not one.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Our stay there
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hwillis
pimanagment, Hotel Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
On behalf of the Planters Inn and staff we are disappointed to read such comments regarding our service. I am pleased we were able to rectify the room assignment with a prompt change to the preferred location and room choice.

We take great pride in offering our guests the best possible experience and from the list of other positive reviews on trip advisor we are confident in our routinely recognized "great" and "friendly service".

For these reasons, we feel strongly that the most recent reviewer was not a true representation of the property, our level of service, or a true Planters Inn experience. If we have fallen short of expectation we sincerely hope the guest has the opportunity to return to the Planters Inn for what we both come to expect; and are proud to offer. As we are convinced the experiences reported are the undoubtedly the "exception" and far from the norm.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

Arlene from New York

My husband and I stayed at the Planters Inn for 2 nights. I can't say enough about this hotel.
We were greeted by Beau ( a very nice and knowlegable young man) who took care of the check in and taking us to our room.
It was done quickly and smooothly. He made a reservation for us at the Peninsula Restaurant which is right in the hotel for that evening.
Our room was beautiful! It was spacious and so very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the room was extremely quiet.

The Peninsula restaurant was awesome-----great service and delicious food. We were greeted by Bridget who was so helpful and sweet. She couldn't do enough for us.
This was a special dining experience.

The location of the Planters Inn is in the center of the historic district. It is in walking distance to great shops, restaurants and attractions. We found the horse and carriage tour to be very interesting and informative.

The morning we checked out our car was immediately brought around and we checked out in no time at all. The staff at the front desk was always helpful and extremely friendly.

We wil definitely stay at the Planters Inn on our next trip to Charleston.

• Liked — the cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — there was nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank breezyarl
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

Excellent hotel, very polite staff, clean room.

• Liked — Location and its quaintness
  • Disliked — no spa or pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NJBrit
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

Yes I know, a little "o c d" for just a weekend getaway... but hey, it was worth it! After going back and forth with the top hotels of this site, I chose the Planters Inn mainly because of the great reviews it already had, also because it was in the Conde Nast Traveler Mag.

We chose the Land and Sea package (fantastic price) It was the best package of all the hotels/inns I researched.

I booked online (very skeptical about things like that) they had everything in order when we arrived at the inn. I should mention we arrived 3 1/2 hours earlier then checkin time....they had no problem getting us into our room early. Great Service.

Very clean, felt right at home. (I am a clean freak) I actually got in the jetted tub, and felt comfortable. (A big no no for me in public bathrooms like that)

The bed, linens, and pillows were fantastic. (We stayed in the kings deluxe)

The only down-side I can think of, was that you could hear a certain amount of noise from the outside. Although taking into consideration we checked in early Fri (thats when it was the most noticable) that may have been why (cleaning and what not)

All in all it was beautiful and relaxing. I would highly recommend Mercado, and Charleston Grill, for a fantasic culinary experience and buba gumps for lunch. Hope your stay (wherever it may be) be as great as ours!

PS. If you want to see a beautiful plantation home Boone Hall Plantation blew me away. (They filmed "The Patriot", as well as "North&South" there...)

• Liked — The comfort
  • Disliked — Small noise factor in room 228
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amithyst12
colo.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

My wife and I stayed there on two different occasions and were treated like we were very special guests. When we checked in, the outside patio table in front of our room seemed sterile and Bo went and got a nice white tablecloth to put on it as well as fresh flowers. He also saw to dinner reservations for that night at a special table we requested. The girls at the front desk were always smiling and anxious to help with our requests. Great hotel and great city. Thank you, and we will be back. Jerry & Connie Wrench Denver

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank toolingat1991
Mt. Pleasant, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

What a wonderful visit to the Planters Inn! With the children visiting grandparents, I decided to surprise my husband with a weekend away from home. We happen to live in the Lowcountry, and have always wanted to be a "tourist in our own town." Although we had visited the Planters Inn years ago before we moved to Charleston, it was obviously before the hotel renovations. I must say that now the hotel is spectacular!

Although I booked our visit through the Planters Inn website and had a very good idea of our room selection, words cannot describe how everything looks first hand. Our accomodations were unbelievable! The room itself and including the amenities were beyond my expecations.

The entire staff from the valet/bellman service, to the Concierge check in staff, to the housekeeping staff were all extremely professional, welcoming, and very friendly throughout our stay. I could go on and on, but take it from me, if you are looking for a wonderful, romantic getaway to downtown Charleston, stay at the Planters Inn. You will not be disappointed. I can assure you that my husband and I will be back!

• Liked — Beautiful rooms, Courteous Staff, Excellent Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a17707
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

Visited to see the COC and my wife and two teenagers were very happy. The hotel is excellent, quite, well kept. Great showers and linen and staff. Dinner at the Pennisula Grill was excellent. Love to visit again, location and stay were first rate.

• Liked — quality
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family