“Poor Service from Reservation Staff”
Review of Fulton Lane Inn

Fulton Lane Inn
Ranked #25 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I was trying to book an extended weekend at the Fulton Lane Inn. I called Monday to enquire; the staff took my name and number and said they would call me back.

Fast forward to Thursday: no call-back yet, so I called again. To their credit, they did recall that I had called. I reiterated what we were interested in (combining two different packages for a single stay), explained that I understood there might be some logistical challenges and asked how they might be able to work with me to make it all work.

I was told that in order to book the packages I was interested in I would have to change rooms midway through our stay. I replied that wasn't particularly conducive to a relaxing getaway; her reply was (much more politely), "take it or leave it."

I wasn't looking for a "deal"; for instance, they could have offered to upgrade one of the packages for a surcharge. The decision would have then been mine as to value. My complaint is regarding the apparent indifference.

The reservation staff showed minimal interest in my custom and appeared to be totally unwilling to work with me on a special request. This attitude may (or may not) be evident in other areas of the hotel. However, my first impression was so poor that I'm going to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2010

My wife and I spent three nights (April 13-15) at the Inn while touring Charleston. We found it to be a quaint, comfortable place. The "Delux King Rm" was not plush (furniture getting just a little worn), but it was comfortable and picturesque. There was no view as it looked out at the side of another building. This didn't really matter as we were out walking around beautiful Charleston during the day. There was plenty of room for breakfast at the round in-room table. Breakfast was not flashy, but fine for continental. It was on time both mornings. The bathroom was a pleasant surprise as it was much larger than I expected in such an old, restored building. It had a large vanity in addition to a separate shower and large jacuzzi tub. The sherry in the Inn lobby and late afternoon wine/snacks at the neighboring sister hotel were both nice touches. All of the ladies at the desk were pleasant and helpful. Jennifer did an especially good job with concierge services. Her suggestions for things to do, places to see, and appropriate restaurants were right on the mark. She quickly made reservations for Fleet Landing, 82 Queen, and The Charleston Grill at the Charleston Place Hotel. All great choices.
The entrance to Fulton Lane Inn is in an attractive passage way just off King Street. It was within easy walking distance to all of the sightseeing points in Charleston.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on a girls weekend. We had three rooms near each other on the third floor. We all agreed that this hotel was the perfect choice for the weekend and would definitely return. The rooms had all the amenities that we needed - small refrigerator was nice, bathroom had a lot of counter space, the beds were comfortable, lots of light from several large windows, a small table and chairs and a nice sized armoire. The breakfast had plenty of options and was delivered each day in the time frame requested. The staff helped us with reservations, all of which worked out perfectly and they offered good recommendations. The wine and cheese hour was nice, too. One of the very best things about this hotel is the location - it is very centrally located and within easy walking distance of great shopping, restaurants and nightlife. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chagirl
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fulton House inn for 4 nights on vacation. We had a king fireplace room that was beautiful. It had a pretty canopy bed and lots of windows. Bed was comfortable and room was clean and pretty. I agree with another review that the parking spaces were very tight. Breakfast was delivered to your room each morning. Ours was always on time. You could pick a pastry or continental option. The pastry option was not enough for my husband. It consisted of two small pastries. But the continental was perfect for me. Every person we dealt with at the Inn was very friendly and extremely helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed at Fulton Lane Inn (RM 322) for our anniversary. Having the separate living room was nice because we put our baby to bed & watched television without disturbing him. The bathroom was in the hallway so that made it easy too. I thought the rooms were a good size, everything was clean, staff was friendly & the bed was comfortable. The living room had no windows so that was weird but there was a fireplace & a sink area with fridge. Breakfast was simple but filling (& free)...good coffee. We did a package that included entry to a plantation of our choice, a carriage ride through town, & entry to an historical home. All this for only about $30 extra so it was a great deal! Best part was the location...Starbucks just down the street & the market also very close by. My only complaints would be the parking spaces in back were TINY!! It was like cramming into spaces meant for teeny tiny cars (we have a minivan). Other than that, I was pretty impressed, given the price. We have stayed at Battery Carriage House, the Renaissance (I love this hotel too), John Rutledge House & Planters Inn. This was one of the better choices we've made so I would definitely recommend Fulton.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank delos55
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Stayed here for one night with my partner to visit the historic sights in Charleston. The location is very good and there is complimentary parking behind the hotel. Compared to B&Bs in Charleston, the rates at Fulton Lane Inn are more affordable but the tradeoff is a stay which feels more like a budget hotel than a B&B. The rooms are basic and a little old and musty. Breakfast is continental only with yogurt, cereal, fruit, or pastries only with coffee and juice. There is no dining room so the food has to be ordered on a card the night before and it is delivered to the room. My parents had their food show up 40 mins late and they ended up running to the hotel next door to have a quick breakfast as we needed to checkout and get on the road. I think for the money there are probably better options and I would not like to stay here again.

Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed at the Fulton Lane Inn for our 10 year anniversary. It was our first time visiting Charleston and so we made reservations based on Trip Advisor reviews. This one was a great choice! The Inn is tucked away on a quaint alley off King Street. It is litterally one block from the market, but you would never know this because we never heard any street noise at all. We stayed in the King Petite Suite on the 3rd floor. The room was very nice with plenty of space. It had a fireplace and jetted tub which was very relaxing after walking around beautiful Charleston all day. The only minor negative is that the bathroom, while plenty big enough, was outdated and the mini-fridge, which barely worked, was in the bathroom. The staff were great, especially Jennifer and Susu.

Unfortunately we did not have such a good experience with the breakfast. It was what you would expect for a continental breakfast, but it was delivered to your room after you ordered it the night before. Very slim pickings: bagel, croissant, cereal, etc. The 2nd day our breakfast came late, the 3rd day it never arrived before we left, and the 4th day it was late again. The staff apologized on the 3rd day when we told them what happened, but it was still late the next day.

The only other thing that was disappointing was that although we told them we were there for our 10 year anniversary, they never offered to do anything special for us. It's not that all hotels should, but it just would have been a nice touch.

We would also highly recommend the Palmetto Carriage Tour. The quality of your tour depends on which driver and which route you get, but ours was wonderful. If you can, ask to be the first to sign up for a particular time slot. That way you get to sit up front where you can hear the driver and you have extra leg room. For restaurants, we LOVED Jim 'N Nick's BBQ on King Street for lunch, as well as Pizzeria Di Giovanni in the Rainbow Shops. The Noisy Oyster had very fresh flounder and shrimp. And the Sweetwater Cafe (right next to the hotel parking lot) is an amazing "hole in the wall" cafe with great food!

We will definitely stay at the Fulton Lane again when we return to Charleston! We highly recommend visiting in the Spring--the flowers are gorgeous, the crowds are smaller, and the temperature is amazing.