“Very good”

Old South Carriage Company
More attraction details
Owner description: There's no better way to see historic Charleston than from the vantage point of an Old South Carriage. Family owned and operated since 1983, Old South Carriage Company offers fully narrated hour-long tours by licensed guides wearing the Confederate uniform with the Red Sash. Come to our English-style stable at 14 Anson Street, just 2 blocks from The City Market and meet our friendly and professional staff. Reservations are not necessary as tours depart every 20 - 30 minutes throughout the day. A ramp leading to a platform makes boarding easy. Old South Carriage Company uses French Percherons and Belgian Draft horses. These sturdy employees vacation at Sugah Cain, the owner's 65-acre plantation on John's Island. For 2-3 months annually, these beautiful horses are free to run in large pastures or leisurely graze under century-old live oaks. Tours operate daily from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 (DST) 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EST). ~Look for the Red Sash~ Our symbol of a quality horse-drawn carriage tour of Charleston, South Carolina.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I just want to thank Heidi! You are awesome Heidi. It was my husband's birthday and Ian at Old Towne Carriage Tour company was rude. granted it was 3:30 on the 27th of December. It was busier than I expected. They looked tired, but Heidi was gracious and got us on the 4:10 tour. I had my husband, my 4 year old, and my 7 year old with me. We were not your most glamorous customers. Dustin was our tour guide, and he did a good job playing the Artful Dodger of Charleston. We really enjoyed it and will be back! Thank you for your Southern Hospitality. I did not rank it 5 only because Dustin got a little cocky at the end. Really, we should not admonish slavery as only a Southern institution? The Union should be prosecuted for war crimes under the Geneva Convention? Overall, he did give a great tour though.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,533)
All reviews
in 152 reviews
"history"
in 796 reviews

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My boyfriend who HATES carriage rides, even loved this tour! Janice our tour guide was entertaining and knowledgeable! We used a groupon so it was very economical.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The carriage tour was a perfect way to start our tour of old Charleston. The guide was knowledgeable, friendly and a local who obviously loved her city. The horses are well cared for and fun for our 7 year old to pet. I have to give the guides/drivers alot of credit.. maneuvering through the city while giving a tour and managing a horse not easy. We saw most of the highlights and came back to the homes/areas we wanted to spend more time. A big foot saver!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you are looking to get an understanding of the City of Charleston, you must take a carriage ride. We took the Old South Carriage and found it incredible. The carriage was well maintained and clean. The guide was very knowledgeable and I liked their uniforms. The trip took over an hour and well worth the money. I also thought that they took very good care of the horses. The guide also made recommendations for other tours which we took advantage of and we were not disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 11, 2012

These are friendly, pleasant folks, and they made our tour a wonderful experience.

I wish I could remember our guide's name - shouldn't have waited so long to write the review - but she did an excellent job of mixing history, architectural detail, and Charleston lore, as well as fascinating information on the horses.

Our horse, Max, was not the fastest horse in the barn, but he was beautiful and dependable, and gave us a smooth and enjoyable ride.

As others have mentioned, the route of the tour is determined by lottery, so you don't know where you'll be going, but I can't imagine that the other routes would be any less enjoyable than the one we took through the area near downtown.

We only had a couple of days there, and this tour left us feeling that we had truly "seen" Charleston.