“The best I've ever had....”
Review of Wentworth Mansion

Wentworth Mansion
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I called directly to the location and spoke with the staff on site (Christian I believe) and he was very courteous and helpful. I called 3 other competitors the same day. I choose Wentworth Mansion because of the staff's professionalism and willingness to accommodate my request as this was my 1st anniversary. I was greeted with smiles and welcomes upon my arrival. Joseph was especially helpful with my bags and worked really hard to make sure we were satisfied. He gave an awesome tour and was very knowledgeable. He made sure we had wine was chilled and candles lite for our special celebration! Breakfast was delish!!!! Shrimp and Grits were the best I'd ever had. The little lady that served our fruit was the sweetest as she told me how to prepare it! The stay was worth every penny and more! I'm now trying to figure out a reason to come back! LOL! shhhh Don't tell my husband!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 20, 2010

We love the Wentworth, the staff there was so warm and welcoming. They accomodated our every need and definitely made it look effortless. Breakfast was always wonderful and I loved their smoked salmon with all the ecoutrements, fantastic! Our room was very quiet and private with a luxurious bathroom. We had dinner at Circa 1886 and cannot say enough good things about the chef and staff there, they really make you feel like a celebrity! Would highly recommend! It's not in the middle of downtown, which was kind of nice since it's not close to all that traffic either.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2010

my boyfriend, who is from Denmark, and i LOVED this enchanting inn! we were both impressed with the integrity of the building and the outstanding service the staff provided. our suite was lush and beautiful. i would have to say the restaurant is what sealed the deal for us though! we had an amazing 4 course dinner and a great bottle of wine! what a treat that we only had to walk a few feet back to our room!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I was taking my Mom to Charleston as a birthday gift for a 3-day weekend. Our 1:10 p.m. connecting flight from Atlanta was canceled without any reason. We scrambled for the next several hours as stand by passengers for a flight to Charleston. I called the Wentworth Mansion hotel to tell them our dilemma and they were understanding and ask us to inform them on our final decision in traveling. My Mom and I finally arrived at the hotel and they greeted us with the most warm and hospitable care. They immediately took us to our room. They had prepped the room and turned down the beds for our arrival knowing that we would be exhausted from the days travel. The room was beautiful, spacious and architecturally designs to preserve its historical period. Our room was able to accommodate up to 4 - 6 people that featured a king size bed and a sofa bed. The sofa bed was very comfortable. I am not a huge fan of sofa beds from past experiences sleeping on a few - lolol! The room for the weekend also included continental breakfast at their restaurant - Circa. The service and meals were delicious. The Concierge was so helpful in helping us decide which day to tour the city and which day to visit the plantations, considering that out time was limited. Their baked goods were home made and the shrimp and grits were amazing. The hotel is approximately a 15-20 minute walk from the main street "King" St. Being New Yorkers we didn't blink about walking. While walking to King St. you get to see historical homes. For the day we chose to walk around the city by taking in the “Classic Carriage” ride. The only drawback in the carriage rides is that the city determines what area and direction each carriage will take at the time of departure. The area that was not covered on the ride will have to be on your own by walking or chancing another carriage ride in another direction. However, the drivers who were conducting the tour were very informative about the history of the city and hilarious. We also walked through the Market where vendors sold their products. We also went to the Slave Museum where slaves were sold at the same site of the museum. We had dinner at Poogan’s Porch. Had the shrimp and grits again – lolol! I had this idea that I would try each restaurant’s shrimp and grits –lolol! The next day (Sunday) we did two plantations – Magnolia and Middleton. Magnolia grounds and landscape is beautiful. We tour the home and found the rooms were not as huge or as big as one may think – it was not Tara. Kind of disappointing, but you got to get a true idea on the living conditions. Now the architectural structure on the outside was absolutely beautiful. One of the tours on Magnolia called “From Slavery to Freedom tour” was excellent. The tour guide was amazing with the history of the Plantation, the lives of the slave and the actual slave quarters. Didn’t know that alligators existed on a plantation because of the rice harvest. We also went to Middleton Plantation, which was okay. I would have rather done Boone Plantation after reading that Boone had more historical information on the slaves than Magnolia. The drawback about Boone is that it is in the opposite direction of Magnolia, Drayton, and Middleton Plantations. We used “Limos for Less Charleston” also known as The Charleston Chauffeur - a little more than the tour bus, but we had a leisure time to visit the plantations. Our driver was great and told us so much about the history of the city. The transportation is great for small intimate parties, Corporate groups or family’s. As for restaurants we did not get a chance to eat at Hominy Grill and Jestine’s Kitchen, which the locals said were restaurants to visit. I was told over and over by the locals that the best time to visit Charleston is in the spring (Easter) and the fall. Charleston is a city full of wonderful restaurants, beautiful architecture dating back as far as the 16th, 17th, 18th century. The people of Charleston are some of the friendliest people I have met in my travels. Enjoy Charleston. I did and will go back for another round of shrimp and grits – lolol! The hotel concierge was very helpful with our weekend in Charleston.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed September 2, 2010

My husband and I had a fabulous stay at the VERY romantic Wentworth Mansion to celebrate our anniversary. The room was beautiful and very spacious. We loved the big bathroom with jacuzzi tub and oversized shower. The staff was very accomadating and extremely helpful. We loved the wine tasting and appetizers in the parlor. Our dinner and breakfast were delicious. We look very forward to our next amazing night at the elegant Wentworth Mansion!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We stayed here 10 years ago and it was the highlight of our trip! Fast forward 10 years (almost to the date...how freaky?) and it is as incredible. This place is probably one of the most wonderful Inns I have ever stayed at or will stay at! There is nothing wrong with this place...EVERYTHING is perfect!!! It is costly, but worth every single penny! Enjoy staying here....I'll be jealous!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We arrived on 7/31 to check in for 2 nights and they never received the reservation from booking.com (tip--NEVER use them). Instead of sending us packing, the wonderful staff called just about everywhere in Charleston and found us a room. We came back the next morning and they offered to watch our things while we checked out the city. We stayed there the 2nd night and had a FABULOUS room with 1st class service! They made excellent recommendations for brunch and dinner and breakfast at the hotel was heavenly. Wonderful people and a hotel that lives up to the hype of being #4 in Charleston--I'd say it's #1 in my book!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple