We were drawn to this hotel by the reviews of other travelers. It is over rated as a small luxury hotel for the accommodations. For the rates charged you should receive outstanding accommodations and service. What you are paying for is to stay in an 1886 converted mansion. For $500 a night (incl. tax), Mansion Suite, you should not have to ask for turn down service and if you would like slippers you shouldn't have to request them as the note instructs hanging on the robes in the amour. We found the room to be spacious but very dark and a little dirty and dusty. The shower floor was in need of repairs, (see photo), missing grout, and mold. The overhead shower light did not work and their labeled "night light" was out of order. The bathroom molding next to the mirror was dirty. It had not been wiped down in a long time. I even wiped the right side (see photo) to see if I was really seeing the dirt, I was. A note was still lying on the night stand when we arrived for the previous guests indicating maintenance had repaired the shower drain clog.
I wanted to sit and read the paper in the evening in one of the two overstuffed chairs. There was no lamp on the table in between. On further inspection there was no electrical plug for a lamp. Your choice was to sit at the desk or lay in bed. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable in answering our questions for dinner or on activities. They deserve the five star rating.
Breakfast is included with your stay which is served in the Circa 1886 restaurant located across the courtyard. The service was excellent and a very nice breakfast selection. It was the accommodations which were below a 5 star room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston