Special occasions call for special plans! My wife and I planned a short stay of 4 days in Charleston for our honeymoon following our wedding in November 2012. The reviews here for the Wentworth Mansion were tempting and we didn't want to stay at just any old place as we began our new life together. So the Wentworth it was. We were not disappointed in any way!
Arrival and check-in - We traveled by car to Charleston and easily found the inn. Parking is on site in a fenced lot with more than enough room. We were met by the bellman and escorted to reception where we were welcomed warmly and shown around the premises. Our room was ready and we settled in without any hassle.
Reception area - The first floor is mostly dedicated to the comfort of the guests with rooms to enjoy the brandy, port and sherry that is always available along with the wine and hors d'oeuvers that are set out every afternoon. It would have been easy to fill up on these treats from Circa 1886 but then you couldn't eat as much at dinner. Some restraint is called for in Charleston!! We enjoyed getting to know some of the other guests who came from all over the US the few days that we were there. There is a desk that serves as check in and provides concierge services in the hall.
Rooms - Our room (#15) was in simply huge with what must have been 20 feet ceilings. There was a gas fireplace that worked flawlessly. The bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I've stayed at in NYC. Whirlpool tub and shower with all of the usual amenities. We were told that it was one of the family bedrooms when the mansion was occupied as a private home.
Dining - This is a real treat. The restaurant that is part of the Inn is Circa 1886 which is a superb establishment in a city loaded with them. However, as a guest of the Inn, you can get breakfast there which is all ordered from the menu. No breakfast buffets with cold scrambled eggs here! at night, you have the privilege of ordering from the dinner menu an appetizer, entree and dessert for $42 as of November 2012. We paid $40 for just an entree at the Charleston Grill.
Staff - Always polite and helpful. All were founts of information about great places to eat and things to do. The service in Circa 1886 was exceptional. Every AM, Miss Betty would come by our table with a basket of sweet rolls. When she noticed my cough, she disappeared into the kitchen and returned with some hot tea for me with lemon to sooth my bronchial passages!!
Little things - We told the staff that this was our honeymoon. That night, a free bottle of champagne was provided in our room. Anytime we went out, we were given a bottle of water to take with us. The tallest part of the Inn is a cupola that you can walk up in for spectacular views of Charleston.
Summary - This was perhaps the best hotel/inn I've ever stayed at and we will be back for our 1st anniversary and hopefully before then. I really want some more of those sweet rolls, Miss Betty
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston