“You can imagine that you are staying in Downton Abbey”
Review of Wentworth Mansion

Wentworth Mansion
Ranked #1 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Special occasions call for special plans! My wife and I planned a short stay of 4 days in Charleston for our honeymoon following our wedding in November 2012. The reviews here for the Wentworth Mansion were tempting and we didn't want to stay at just any old place as we began our new life together. So the Wentworth it was. We were not disappointed in any way!

Arrival and check-in - We traveled by car to Charleston and easily found the inn. Parking is on site in a fenced lot with more than enough room. We were met by the bellman and escorted to reception where we were welcomed warmly and shown around the premises. Our room was ready and we settled in without any hassle.

Reception area - The first floor is mostly dedicated to the comfort of the guests with rooms to enjoy the brandy, port and sherry that is always available along with the wine and hors d'oeuvers that are set out every afternoon. It would have been easy to fill up on these treats from Circa 1886 but then you couldn't eat as much at dinner. Some restraint is called for in Charleston!! We enjoyed getting to know some of the other guests who came from all over the US the few days that we were there. There is a desk that serves as check in and provides concierge services in the hall.

Rooms - Our room (#15) was in simply huge with what must have been 20 feet ceilings. There was a gas fireplace that worked flawlessly. The bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I've stayed at in NYC. Whirlpool tub and shower with all of the usual amenities. We were told that it was one of the family bedrooms when the mansion was occupied as a private home.

Dining - This is a real treat. The restaurant that is part of the Inn is Circa 1886 which is a superb establishment in a city loaded with them. However, as a guest of the Inn, you can get breakfast there which is all ordered from the menu. No breakfast buffets with cold scrambled eggs here! at night, you have the privilege of ordering from the dinner menu an appetizer, entree and dessert for $42 as of November 2012. We paid $40 for just an entree at the Charleston Grill.

Staff - Always polite and helpful. All were founts of information about great places to eat and things to do. The service in Circa 1886 was exceptional. Every AM, Miss Betty would come by our table with a basket of sweet rolls. When she noticed my cough, she disappeared into the kitchen and returned with some hot tea for me with lemon to sooth my bronchial passages!!

Little things - We told the staff that this was our honeymoon. That night, a free bottle of champagne was provided in our room. Anytime we went out, we were given a bottle of water to take with us. The tallest part of the Inn is a cupola that you can walk up in for spectacular views of Charleston.

Summary - This was perhaps the best hotel/inn I've ever stayed at and we will be back for our 1st anniversary and hopefully before then. I really want some more of those sweet rolls, Miss Betty

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TigerDoc1975
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Wow, what a fantastic review. Thank you for taking the time to share these memories with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you decided to spend such a special occasion here. We hope that you'll return to celebrate anniversaries and other landmark events with us at the Wentworth Mansion. Miss Betty will be sure to save some sweet rolls.

There are newer reviews for Wentworth Mansion

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Wentworth Mansion has completely stolen my heart. My mom and I took a mother/daughter trip to Charleston and our trip would not have been as absolutely perfect if it were not for this gem of a hotel and their absolute amazing staff. Not only is the Mansion breathtakingly beautiful, but the staff went above and beyond to make our whole Charleston experience one that we will treasure forever and have us returning ASAP. I was so sad to leave, I booked a trip to stay at the Wentworth Mansion again next month with my husband. A few highlights of the hotel included the complimentary, amazingly delicious croissants, cinnamon rolls and sticky buns we would have with our coffee and paper first thing in the morning. We would then walk over to the restaurant for our complimentary gourmet breakfast where we were greeted with fresh fruit, more pastries, and some of the best breakfast foods I have ever had. Rice flour pancakes, anyone? Steel cut oats, frittatas, etc and if you are lucky, fried green tomato eggs benedict. Cocktail hour is from 5-6, where we enjoyed complimentary iced tea and lemonade or wine and hor d'oeuvres and socialized with other guests and staff or sat quietly by the fireplace reading books about Charleston we had picked up that day. The staff's recommendations on where to go, what to see, and where to eat where all spot on. Each room is beautiful, one of the managers let me see each category of rooms that was available at the time, and each one is perfect for anyone and what they are looking for in a room. This hotel is truly spectacular. The decor and history and atmosphere is incredibly sublime, cozy, and you are made to feel right at home. Not to mention the spa at the hotel was magnificent. My mom had a fantastic facial and I had a detoxifying body wrap that left us both renewed, restored, and relaxed. I have stayed in many hotels all over the country, and the Wentworth Mansion is, by far, my favorite. It will always hold a special place in my heart. If you have any doubt over where to stay in Charleston, look no further. Every want or need will be met.

Room Tip: If it is available, splurge on Suite 9! However, every other room is absolute perfection.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for a glowing and thorough review of your mother-daughter visit to the Wentworth Mansion. What an honor to be part of such a special memory. It sounds like you two had a fantastic time here in Charleston. Thank you again for such a wonderful recommendation the inn, our spa and Circa 1886. We are thrilled that you'll be back again soon to share the experience with your husband.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend getaway to Charleston and were delighted with our decision to stay at the Wentworth Mansion. The room was enormous and well-appointed. However, the staff was really what set the hotel apart from others that we have stayed at in our travels. Stephanie (concierge) was incredibly helpful in suggesting an additional restaurant based on reservations that we had already made prior to arriving in Charleston and even helped us facilitate a last-minute visit to the Middleton plantation prior to our afternoon departure. We also enjoyed the lovely demeanor of the staff in the restaurant when we visited for breakfast. Wentworth Mansion was a real treat!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am thrilled to read your notes about our staff and will be sure to pass along your kind words. We hope to see you back in Charleston again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from our 5th stay at the Wentworth and it just gets better and never disappoints. The absolute best hotel: lovely rooms, welcoming staff and quiet location within walking distance to everything. A great value considering it includes fresh coffee, pastries newspapers and the best breakfast in town (thank you Miss Betty, Paul, Jennifer et. al.) followed by complimentary tea and lemonade during the day and capped by wine and appetizers from the Wentworth's Circa 1886 Restaurant. Do yourself a favor and make sure to do dine at Circa 1886 where Chef Marc Collins' food and service are sublime providing a perfect ending to a busy day touring Charleston. The ground floor suites are pet friendly and the staff always makes our senior pup feel as special as any guest! If you are looking for an elegant yet understated and relaxing place to pamper yourself then look no further than the Wentworth! It's the best!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are pet friendly.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to read about your exceptional experience at the Wentworth Mansion. We are so appreciative of your loyalty to the inn and are thrilled to read that your dog enjoyed a visit to Charleston as well. Thank you for your notes about our restaurant Circa 1886. I am glad you were able to experience both breakfast and dinner there. We look forward to hosting you for a sixth visit- and many more thereafter.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our first stay at Wentworth Mansion, but definitely won't be our last! The massage I had at the spa on friday afternoon was truly the best massage I have ever had. Maureen was my massage therapist. We had breakfast both Saturday and Sunday mornings at the restaurant, and it was so delicious and filling that neither my husband nor I even felt hungry until late in the afternoon. We enjoyed the wine and hors d'oeuvres on Friday and Saturday afternoons, as did the other guests - just one of the many lovely ways they build fabulous service into the experience. The Mansion is gracious and elegant, and the entire place is quiet and restful. The staff was helpful and friendly, our room (#15) was spacious and comfortable, and everything about our stay was exceptional. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

I am so pleased to read about your stay at the Wentworth Mansion. Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am thrilled that you were able to experience our on-site spa and enjoyed breakfast at our Circa 1886. I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to seeing you back again.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

All I can say this time is, if you're visiting Charleston, STAY HERE!!! You won't be disappointed. From the grandeur of the room (absolutely loved my fireplace) to the outstanding staff & service (Ben was super when we arrived, grabbing our bags out of the car in the rain & we loved Ms. Betty at breakfast) and everything in between!!! Breakfast every morning at Circa 1886 was superb, delicious, sublime (loved the pancakes with the smokey bacon and rabbit sausage) and all of the staff was just awesome. We went to the gym every day of our stay, a great scenic run to it just a few blocks away. The wine & hor dourves were a great addition, had some lovely Chardonnay with fried green tomatoes!!! Grabbed Gone with the Wind from the dvd library, turned on my fireplace, with a glass of lovely wine and felt like I was in one of those big ole' magnificent houses from the movie. I wouldn't stay anywhere else but at the Wentworth Mansion and I will be back for sure, thank you staff!

• Stayed: February 2013

It sounds like you had a lovely time here in Charleston. Thank you for sharing your memories with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate your fantastic recommendation and kind words about our staff. We certainly look forward to hosting future visits and promise to deliver the same exceptional experience.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just got home from a wonderful night at the Wentworth Mansion. I have had friends stay here before and they have raved about it so for Valentine's Day I surprised my fiancé with a night there and it was exceptional, best experience for a hotel. It's not even a hotel, it's an experience. We were greeted very warmly in the parking lot by Kenneth who unloaded our hands of our luggage and walked us to the entrance of the Mansion where Stephanie got us checked in. Before we knew it our luggage had left and was on its way up to our room. Kenneth gave us a short tour of the Mansion with a little bit of history and then showed us up to our room. We were in room 21 which is right next to the stairs to the Coppola, which is a do not miss. Our room was amazing to say the least. Huge room, with a jacuzzi tub and fireplace, and the bathroom and shower was equally impressive. We had a bottle of wine and took it up to the Coppola and watched the sunset over Charleston, you must do that if you stay here. When we came back from dinner our room was lit with candles and a bottle of champagne greeted us. The next morning we had breakfast at the restaurant, Circa 1886, the breakfast and service was superb. All in all this place is a splurge for sure, on the pricey side, but even if you only do it for one day of your visit to Charleston I would say DO IT!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a glowing review of the Wentworth Mansion. The team at the Mansion strives to deliver an exceptional experience to each and every guest. I am so pleased to read that this Valentine's Day was so memorable. It is my hope that you visit again soon for another special evening. Thank you for your recommendation.