“Gracious, casual elegance with the best staff”
Review of Wentworth Mansion

Wentworth Mansion
Ranked #1 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Atlanta, Georgia
“Gracious, casual elegance with the best staff”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from our 5th stay at the Wentworth and it just gets better and never disappoints. The absolute best hotel: lovely rooms, welcoming staff and quiet location within walking distance to everything. A great value considering it includes fresh coffee, pastries newspapers and the best breakfast in town (thank you Miss Betty, Paul, Jennifer et. al.) followed by complimentary tea and lemonade during the day and capped by wine and appetizers from the Wentworth's Circa 1886 Restaurant. Do yourself a favor and make sure to do dine at Circa 1886 where Chef Marc Collins' food and service are sublime providing a perfect ending to a busy day touring Charleston. The ground floor suites are pet friendly and the staff always makes our senior pup feel as special as any guest! If you are looking for an elegant yet understated and relaxing place to pamper yourself then look no further than the Wentworth! It's the best!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are pet friendly.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I am delighted to read about your exceptional experience at the Wentworth Mansion. We are so appreciative of your loyalty to the inn and are thrilled to read that your dog enjoyed a visit to Charleston as well. Thank you for your notes about our restaurant Circa 1886. I am glad you were able to experience both breakfast and dinner there. We look forward to hosting you for a sixth visit- and many more thereafter.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our first stay at Wentworth Mansion, but definitely won't be our last! The massage I had at the spa on friday afternoon was truly the best massage I have ever had. Maureen was my massage therapist. We had breakfast both Saturday and Sunday mornings at the restaurant, and it was so delicious and filling that neither my husband nor I even felt hungry until late in the afternoon. We enjoyed the wine and hors d'oeuvres on Friday and Saturday afternoons, as did the other guests - just one of the many lovely ways they build fabulous service into the experience. The Mansion is gracious and elegant, and the entire place is quiet and restful. The staff was helpful and friendly, our room (#15) was spacious and comfortable, and everything about our stay was exceptional. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I am so pleased to read about your stay at the Wentworth Mansion. Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am thrilled that you were able to experience our on-site spa and enjoyed breakfast at our Circa 1886. I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to seeing you back again.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

All I can say this time is, if you're visiting Charleston, STAY HERE!!! You won't be disappointed. From the grandeur of the room (absolutely loved my fireplace) to the outstanding staff & service (Ben was super when we arrived, grabbing our bags out of the car in the rain & we loved Ms. Betty at breakfast) and everything in between!!! Breakfast every morning at Circa 1886 was superb, delicious, sublime (loved the pancakes with the smokey bacon and rabbit sausage) and all of the staff was just awesome. We went to the gym every day of our stay, a great scenic run to it just a few blocks away. The wine & hor dourves were a great addition, had some lovely Chardonnay with fried green tomatoes!!! Grabbed Gone with the Wind from the dvd library, turned on my fireplace, with a glass of lovely wine and felt like I was in one of those big ole' magnificent houses from the movie. I wouldn't stay anywhere else but at the Wentworth Mansion and I will be back for sure, thank you staff!

• Stayed February 2013
It sounds like you had a lovely time here in Charleston. Thank you for sharing your memories with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate your fantastic recommendation and kind words about our staff. We certainly look forward to hosting future visits and promise to deliver the same exceptional experience.

Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just got home from a wonderful night at the Wentworth Mansion. I have had friends stay here before and they have raved about it so for Valentine's Day I surprised my fiancé with a night there and it was exceptional, best experience for a hotel. It's not even a hotel, it's an experience. We were greeted very warmly in the parking lot by Kenneth who unloaded our hands of our luggage and walked us to the entrance of the Mansion where Stephanie got us checked in. Before we knew it our luggage had left and was on its way up to our room. Kenneth gave us a short tour of the Mansion with a little bit of history and then showed us up to our room. We were in room 21 which is right next to the stairs to the Coppola, which is a do not miss. Our room was amazing to say the least. Huge room, with a jacuzzi tub and fireplace, and the bathroom and shower was equally impressive. We had a bottle of wine and took it up to the Coppola and watched the sunset over Charleston, you must do that if you stay here. When we came back from dinner our room was lit with candles and a bottle of champagne greeted us. The next morning we had breakfast at the restaurant, Circa 1886, the breakfast and service was superb. All in all this place is a splurge for sure, on the pricey side, but even if you only do it for one day of your visit to Charleston I would say DO IT!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a glowing review of the Wentworth Mansion. The team at the Mansion strives to deliver an exceptional experience to each and every guest. I am so pleased to read that this Valentine's Day was so memorable. It is my hope that you visit again soon for another special evening. Thank you for your recommendation.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband & I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Wentworth Mansion. What a wonderful place to stay! Stayed in room #21, absolutely beautiful! Came back to room the first night, there was a bottle of champagne chilling, candles lit & card wishing us a Happy Anniversary! What a nice surprise! Service was outstanding! Thank you Ben & Aly!!

1 Thank Mike P
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is awesome. They go out of there way to make your stay perfect. I worked with the concierge staff for two weeks prior to our stay to make sure everything was perfect for the engagement. They were unbelievably helpful. Circa 1886 attached is spectacular for both dinner and breakfast. Couldn't have asked for a better place to propose. The spa is terrific too. Thanks Wentworth for the amazing service.

Room Tip: Stayed in a Mansion King Suite. It was perfect. The room had a fireplace, dual-nozzle shower and j...
1 Thank NeilSneilorSteve
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Congratulations to you and your fiance! Thank you for sharing these special memories. I am proud to read your notes about our staff here at the Mansion and our restaurant Circa 1886. They never tire of helping our guests with special occasions. We hope you'll return to celebrate many more milestones with us here in Charleston.

Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were visiting Charleston for my wife's birthday, and the Wentworth Mansion was the centerpiece of the entire experience. The superior service provided by the Wentworth's staff started from the moment I made the reservation. On more than one occasion leading up to our trip, I was contacted by the staff to ensure that they could provide any assistance necessary to ensure that we had an excellent vacation. Upon arrival, from the bellhop to the Management to even the cleaning staff (and I can't forget to mention Zach, the driver who helped us get all over town), everyone was incredibly endearing and attentive to our needs. All of them took the time to greet us at every occasion and used our names throughout the weekend, something very simple, yet an art of superior client service that is lost in most businesses. Beyond this, I unfortunately sprained my ankle while on the trip. The staff even took the time to make medical facility recommendations, make recommendations on delivery restaurants since I spent the entire last day of the trip in bed, and they even provided us with a key to a lower level door to make my walk on crutches that more bearable. They sincerely seemed concerned about my injury and made every effort to assist my wife and I with an unfortunate and unexpected part of the trip.

The Mansion itself is absolutely stunning and like a piece of period art. Our room was by far the most beautiful we've ever stayed in. We joked that it was like being Royalty for the weekend as our residence is quite modest by comparison.

We want to thank everyone working at the Wentworth Mansion this weekend. I'm not sure that I will stay anywhere else upon returning to Charleston. The team at the Wentworth Mansion provided us Luxury with Heart. Thanks, the Jordans

Room Tip: I'm not sure that you can go wrong anywhere on the property
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for such an outstanding review. I am so sorry to read about your sprained ankle, but am happy that our staff kept you comfortable- and were still able to enjoy Charleston. Your story is exactly why I, as owner, take such great pride in our staff. They are an incredible team that goes above and beyond to care for their guests. We thank you for staying with us and hope you are back on your feet again. We look forward to future visits.