New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Wentworth Mansion
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was wonderful in every way. The facility is amazing, each room and amenity special. The staff is professional, helpful and always available. Our beautiful, nicely over-sized room was totally comfortable with all modern appointments and the added charm of its unique historical features and a fireplace. The Wentworth added so much to our Charleston experience, I will stay there again whenever I return.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for such a lovely recount of your stay at the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful visit with us here. We appreciate your very kind words about our staff and your notes about our charming property. Thank you for your recommendation. We certainly look forward to hosting you again.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have traveled around the world with my group of friends. We know how to travel together and have high standards for what works for us. We carefully decide where we will stay and where we will eat. The Wentworth Mansion and Circa 1886 delighted and pleased everyone!! It was Southern Hospitality in an exceptional setting with delicious-incredible-well served food... that made us feel truly welcomed and cared for. Thank you for providing us with an environment that allowed us to comfortably relax together and connect with each other!

Room Tip: All 9 rooms were great for our group. In reading comments - I would never wait until I was leaving...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing the Wentworth Mansion as your designated gathering place this year. It was our pleasure to host your group. I am so pleased that you all had such an enjoyable time, both at the inn and our restaurant Circa 1886. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and our service team extended some true Southern hospitality. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to hosting you all again in the future.

Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here on a recent business trip. Very nice rooms and amenities. Staff was pleasant and helpful, aside from the woman who attended the desk during the day. When my friend and I inquired about a cab, she informed us we weren't in NYC anymore and we couldnt just hail one. Which we knew, which was why we were asking. And I live in CT! For the amount of money per night I didn't appreciate her attitude. But every single other person on staff was wonderful and truly hospitable? Overall the hotel overall was really nice.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your Wentworth Mansion experience. I am glad that overall, you enjoyed a positive experience at the inn. We spoke to our concierge about the incident you noted. She sincerely apologizes for the misunderstanding on the availability of cabs in Charleston. Her intent was to inform you that in Charleston, unlike larger cities, cabs must be ordered in advance and cannot be hailed. This can sometimes create a wait period before the cab arrives. We are very sorry for the miscommunication and hope to host your next visit to Charleston.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Wow! Is my understated assessment of our stay. Very comfortable bed and wonderfully relaxing fireplace in our room. Jaccuzzi was total comfort. It is a true architectural gem, celebrating the success of 19th century businessman. Dinner at Circa 1886 was deliciously creative.

Room Tip: Our room on the 4th floor had wonderful views of the totally charming neighborhood. Just outside our...
    • 5 of 5 stars
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for such an outstanding review of the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled that you had such an enjoyable and comfortable stay at the Mansion and enjoyed our unique architectural features. I am glad you were able to visit our restaurant Circa 1886 - I will share your high praise with our team. We look forward to hosting you again.

Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our room, bed, linens & bath were as luxurious and comfortable as any we have ever enjoyed! The staff and service was impeccable. Our complimentary breakfast at Circa 1886 was delicious; we were only disappointed that the restaurant was closed Sunday evening when we arrived.

Room Tip: We travel with our little poodle and the garden room was the most comfortable and easy to deal with...
    • 5 of 5 stars
I appreciate your wonderful review the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled that you had such a memorable stay. Thank you for bringing your dog along for a Charleston getaway as well. I am glad that our Garden Room was a convenient and comfortable place for everyone to relax. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to your return to Charleston.

Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Dirty,Tired, and several very uneven blocks from the shopping and restaurant district. (i know, you can't blame the hotel for its out of the way location) but the dirty and tired..not good...but, it must have been very nice in its day. I think that sums it up. Pass it by, you'll thank me.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank LPK1
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
My staff and myself as owner take all comments very seriously. Your comments upset us and we are very disappointed that you never mentioned any concerns to the staff or management, as we could have investigated and discussed a solution. Your room (#21) is not "dirty and tired" (nor are any other areas of the inn), which is validated by the exemplary review from a guest who just recently stayed in Room 21: "A Treasure" from November 17, 2012. We are always sorry when even one guest is disappointed, but stand by our exceptional facility and staff.

Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This trip was for our 25th Anniversary. I was leaning to a very upscale golf resort in Virginia but my wife doesn't play so the clubs stayed in the garage and we came to Charleston. Tripadvisor had recommended the Wentworth as the second best facility in Charleston, I think that is an error. We would be hard pressed to think of any aspect of our stay that some other facility could do better. The staff was completely knowledgable and professional, services impeccable, room was meticulous and amenities first class. The only area better than the Wentworth was it's restaurant Circa 1886, which will be discussed separately. For a memorable event in Charleston, the Wentworth should receive top priority consideration.

• 5 of 5 stars
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for such an outstanding review of your 25th anniversary at the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled to read such high praise for our team, accommodations and amenities. We constantly strive to exceed our guests' expectations and take great pride in delivering a five star experience. I greatly appreciate your recommendation. We hope anniversary trips to Charleston become a new tradition.