Due to Hurricane Sandy, we had to change our mini-moon plans from the Outer Banks to Charleston at the last minute. As I was looking through places to stay, the Wentworth Mansion seemed to stand apart for the service and amenities provided by the hotel. We made reservations online and we were able to take advantage of the internet special. One thing to note is that when you make reservations online, you may not stay in the same room for all the nights you booked the hotel for. I thought this was a little strange as many hotels will list which rooms are available for which nights. In our case, the concierge told us upon arrival that we would stay in one room for two night and another room for the last night. Since we came in late, we thought that this would be fine (I will say that in the end, we did stay in the same room for all three nights despite being told otherwise which was a good thing).
The amenities are suberb:
- Great concierge - tries his/her best to meet your needs
- Wonderful jetted whirlpool jacuzzi tub
- Complimentary champagne on our first night (since they knew it was our mini-moon)
- Great breakfast every morning
- Afternoon hors d'oeuvres & wine (hors d'oeuvres are from the accompanying restaurant Circa 1886 which also does the breakfast - they were average in taste and limited wine selection, but it is complimentary)
- Also nightly port, sherry, brandy if you are into that
- Good location, but not in the heart of things (you still have to walk ~4-5 blocks to get into the thick of things)
We stayed in the garden room which has an accompanying sun room which is great for relaxing and reading. I didn't get to see the other rooms, but it does seem a bit on the darker side so I would probably recommend one of the upper level rooms if you like to have more light in the room.
One of my major complaints is that for such a peaceful place, sound really can travel which makes it less peaceful. On our second night, we hard loud voices outside of our room at around 9am. At first, we thought it might have been one of the other guests leaving their room; however, the voices continued for at least 30 minutes. The voices turned out to be the cleaning staff who were talking and cursing right outside of the room. This was a little upsetting since we were coming on our mini-moon to relax and sleep in. Unfortunately, we were unable to sleep any further and ended up starting our day. I did let the concierge know of my complaints on the day that I checked out. Overall, I think that it was a very good place, but I feel like there could have been a better place to get the perfect honeymoon experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston