“Vendue Inn is the total package”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We just stayed at the Vendue Inn for two nights in a King Jr suite, room 301. It was a lovely room with a view of the front street and a peak at the waterfront. The room had a fantastic king size bed, a working gas fireplace, a whirlpool tub and lovely amenities. It is an older hotel with lots of character and is a true southern bell. The Vendue Inn is the place to stay, not only because of the hotel itself but because of the location. It is within easy walking distance to all the best restaurants, shopping and historical carriage tours and is in the heart of the french quarter of beautiful Charleston SC
Now, going back to the Vendue Inn being the total package, along with it being a treasure of a hotel, the staff were really friendly and accomodating. The Hotel Manager, Susie Ridder made us feel like we were family and she just could't do enough to ensure our visit was totally enjoyable. The afteroon Managers get to gether was wonderful, Susie and staff were there serving assorted wines and appetizers, it was very impressive and showed true southern hospitality. The meals were amazing and the Vendue Inn Roof Top Patio offers one of the best views of Charlestons lovely histroric district. We just can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ferg1948

Reviewed February 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Vendue Inn in Charleston in November 2010. It was our first time in the city and we'd really been looking forward to this trip. First of all, our room could have used some work. There were water stains in both the bedroom and the bathroom. Second, the walls inbetween our room (Room 207) and the next were fairly thin. Two out of our three nights at the Vendue, we had to listen to our neighbors having sex. This hotel has a great location near the water and a kind and helpful staff. But if they don't improve the quality of the rooms, I can't imagine they'll get many return guests. After we returned home I received a survey from the Vendue. When I told the management about the issues with the room, they said they would send us a coupon for a free night at the Vendue. That was back at the beginning of December, and I haven't seen a coupon yet.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend blowing off the hustle of an end-of-year holiday and recreating it for yourself and/or for those closest to you-- somewhere else. The turkey at the Vendue Inn was still moist, the gluttony-induced sleeping afterwards was quite restful, and the family dog still felt right at home. While I could certainly see a stay here going either way, for whatever reason, the stars were aligned and we did quite well for ourselves at the Vendue Inn. And while extended family has certainly forgiven and forgotten our absence by now, the wife and I will surely cherish our stay in Charleston for years to come.
[ROOMS-- 3.25 out of 5]
Many Tripadvisor reviewers have mentioned the importance of landing in the main building. Others have remarked that paying the difference for a king is a smart move. Booking off a travel website at a discounted rate, I hoped for the best and scored a free upgrade with little to no strategy at all. With eight legs in the bed, the king was essential. Its plush comfort seemed accented by the fact that I didn't have to grease anyone's palms to get it.
SERVICE-- 3.25 out of 5]
The staff is very young. Apart from the concierge, I saw no one my senior. Everyone was cordial enough, but I did stand in line for change at the front desk for a good while as I watched my car be ticketed outside. We were also told we could sit in one area of the dining room for breakfast and not another, for some silly reason.
[VALUE-- 4.25 out of 5]
The bottom line seems to vary a great deal here. I heard prices quoted over the phone while I was waiting for change to feed the meter that were quadruple the price of what I paid. Supply and demand, I suppose. Made paying that $25 parking ticket that much easier. ELSA, our four-legged daughter, paid $100 for her stay.
[DINING-- 4.25 out of 5]
The culinary component of our stay held its own. The Thanksgiving buffet was memorable. Had the competitive flavors of SNOB, Magnolia, and Fig not crossed our palatal path, it might've been our favorite venue.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jblane
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed two nights and could not have asked for more: the breakfasts, the afternoon receptions, sherry in the room with fireplace (much needed the cold weekend that hit us), location, The Library restaurant, and the most friendly and helpful staff. Also a nice sports bar with live music at times. Assistant Manager Jerry Kerwin was incredibly kind in attending to the afternoon receptions, discussing the history and design of the inn, and helping us in a special situation. Next time in town it's back to the Vendue Inn.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

We traveled with friends of ours to Charleston for the first time. After reading numerous reviews on many websites, we booked rooms at The Vendue Inn. What a great choice! This quaint hotel has the best staff we've ever encountered-always thinking & doing for their guests! And location...unbeatable! Walking distance for most downtown activities.
The only thing we feel we should mention is this...some of the rooms could use a bit of a face-lift & some newer TV's. We were fortunate enough to get rooms next to each other, but both rooms had floors that slanted downward. They were very clean rooms, just not the most up to date. Since weren't in our rooms much, it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2011

The Vendue Inn was amazing! My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and it was the best decision I made! Check in was very smooth and the staff were very effecient and courteous. We stayed in a King Luxury Suite and it was beautiful. No real view to speak of, but we weren't there for the view from our hotel room.... The bed was the most comfortable bed my husband and I have ever slept on, so much so, that I had my husband ring the front desk to find out where we could get one! They had champagne and strawberries waiting for us when we check in also, which was a nice touch. The bathroom left a little to be desired- the window blinds wouldn't go all the way down and there was a building directly across from us that I'm sure could see in. The tub was a little small, even for one person. But, coming from a 340 sq foot NYC studio apartment, those were tiny inconveniences compared to what we deal with on a daily basis.
I had researched all of the 3 & 4 star hotels in downtown Charleston and this was by far the best deal.
Hopefully we will be coming back on our one year anniversary and we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We booked last minute arriving in town early of a conference. We have no problem booking. The person we talked to was very informational and new their stuff!! When we arrived we were greeted right away. Check in was nice and easy. Our Suite was perfect. The first thing I saw when we walked in was the King Bed! I loved how it is so very tall, lots of fluffy pillows, and soft sheets. There was a gas fireplace that I warmed my buns by. hee hee Large room with lots of places to put our stuff. The WiFi worked great! Oh and the very very best thing of all was the hot tub!! And the water was HOT!! Love Love Loved it!! The Amenities were very nice. The breakfast was very good. I had the cheesy grits! yummy.
Our location was great! The Inn has restaurants and there are plenty that you can walk to.
We had a great time!!!! Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business