“Sweeeeet!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, SC
“Sweeeeet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I had only stayed at the Vendue once before, but as I walked up to check in, Jerry greeted me by name and took care of me, even though his scheduled work day had already ended.

The room was beautiful with a bed to die for and a working fireplace. On a 30 degree night, it was nicer than I can describe! I went out for a long walk and found a great beer store two blocks away on Exchange. I regretted that I didn't accept the Vendue's offer to bring me ice, but bought the beer anyway. As part of the turn down service, the Vendue filled the ice bucket. Ice without asking? Are you kidding me? My next great discovery was the menu at the rooftop bar.restaurant. They have NFL Package, but I didn't feel like going out, even to the roof. The Rooftop menu was available for room service. The food was great and better than anything I would expect for room service. The only "problem" was the speed with which they brought the order. I barely had time to wash up. Fast and courteous would be an understatement. Speaking of food, breakfast comes with the room. This is not a continental breakfast, but a fancy breakfast from a chef who obviously cares about what he/she is doing. I had a Spanish Omelet with a terrific red sauce, juice, coffee and the works, the type of breakfast for which you could drop $40.00 if they were charging separately like other hotels do. It made me want to try The Library (restaurant) at the hotel, which I hope to do some other time.

If you are a runner/walker, this hotel may be the greatest starting point in Charleston for either. It clearly is the greatest place to end your run/walk after you cool down and stretch at the Waterfront Park located 200 feet from the Vendue. It is convenient to the best restaurants in Charleston, as well as shopping and King Street. Having said all that about the location, room and the food, like most great hotels, their people make the difference!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank sf24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

We stayed at the Vendue Inn in December for our anniversary and we were in a junior suite with a fireplace, king size bed, jacuzzi tub and our room was perfect. I tend to be a neat freak and found our room very clean. A few spots in the carpet but that was all that I seen. We enjoyed the wine and cookies with milk. We never had an issue with noise and all the rooms around us were full. We did not try the lemon favored water in the lobby but I did enjoy the hot chocolate during the day. The Inn is close to everything, water front, shops and tons of restaurants. We wanted to try the restaurant but it is closed on Sundays so we ate at High Cotton which we both enjoyed.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

We had a short 1-night stay at the Vendue Inn, followed by a few nights at another downtown hotel. While we loved Charleston, the Vendue Inn did not quite measure up to our expectations.

There were a number of positive features to the hotel---the staff was very helpful and polite, its in a great location, and the extras---such as wine reception, breakfast, cookies---are very nice. The hotel is quite attractive from the outside. Our main disappontment was the room. We stayed in a "standard queen." This room was across the street from the reception area, up one flight of stairs (no elevator), and faced out onto an unattractive area with a small electric generator or substation. As a result, we kept the curtains closed at all times (which we generally don't do as I love natural sunlight). The room was painted a dark gray, and had dark wood beams on the ceiling. As a result, the room had a dark and dismal feel to us, even though the sun was shining brightly in Charleston. I also felt that nothing at the hotel (carpets, drapes, upholstery) felt very clean and fresh. I am not very noise-sensitive, but this is one hotel where you could hear every word spoken in the hallway outside our room.

If we had been in a different room I'm sure we would have had a better experience. The standard queen was the lowest room category (apart from the interior view rooms), but it was not inexpensive.I did not feel the hotel was a good value.

We did enjoy a fun afternoon at the rooftop restaurant, which I would recommend.

1 Thank iowaguy
Clearwater, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

11/14/10 - Loved the Vendue! It's within walking distance to all the major historic sites and restaurants. This was our honeymoon and the staff went above and beyond our expectations. The only issue we had, and being a historic inn there's nothing to be done about it, was the noise in the hallways with walking on the hardwood floors and doors slamming. The only other issue I had was that the shower was too small for two people. The Vendue offers a full scale complimentary breakfast, an evening guest reception with cheese crackers and wine, and nightly homemade cookies in the lobby area. The vendue surrounds itself with the aroma of oranges from the bath soaps to the flavored ice water at the coffee and hot chocolate bar. There are two restaurants, The Library is more upscale but closed on Sundays. The Rooftop is more casual with sandwiches but beware of the wind blowing the dumpster smell up. Both restaurants can only be accessed from their outside entrances.

Miami, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

After reviewing many hotels in Charleston, we chose the Vendue Inn & Suites. The hotel is very classy. It has a lot of old-world charm, elegant artwork and decorative accesories. The Suites are across the street from the Inn, which has a couple of restaurants and has the concierge desks. We stayed in the Queen Deluxe Suite. They had coffee available during the morning (though you could add the Southern Breakfast for extra...delicious w/ generous portions). In the afternoon, they had cider, sweet tea and hors devours. At night, they had cookies with other beverages...all free! Guests can also use the hotel's cruiser bicycles to get around town, also free. The hotel also boasts a roof top restaurant, with a live band, where hotel guest are VIPs. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.
My only complaints are that the houskeeping staff sort of "half-cleaned" the room on both occasions. I wasn't even sure that they had been there. Also, the plumbing is a little loud. We kept hearing the toilets above us flushing and our own toilet was running all night. Also, they charged for parking $14 to self-park, $16 to valet.

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Stayed here for three nights. Here are my plusses and minuses:

Plusses:
* Friendly staff
* Very comforatable bed
* Great location

Minuses:
* Very noisy - floors squeeked, could here people above and next to room, could hear elevator
* Dirty room - found toothpaste on mirror, dirty cracked sink (see photo), coffee stains on window sill, toilet was not clean, etc.
* Expensive - the room was not worth the price.

Overall, good experience but one could do better for the price.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

We had a wonderful 3 night stay in Charleston at the Vendue Inn. After reading others reviews I requested that we stay in the main building rather than the annex when reserving. Before our trip I received an e-mail and a phone message from the concierge asking if there was anything we needed arranged before we got there. Upon arrival, they said to put us in the main building they would upgrade us to a Junior Suite (from a Fireplace King). From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and treated like family. We were just in time for the nightly wine and cheese reception, which was substantial with appetizers as well as lots of different cheeses, etc. The concierge was always available and ready to help out, and gave us some good recommendations. Our room was gorgeous, the bed super comfortable, and having the sherry on the mantle was a nice touch too. The jetted tub was great too. The breakfasts were delicious. You order off a menu with a good variety and every day there was a daily special as well. We ate there all 3 mornings and thought the food was great. The cheese grits were to die for!! The location was perfect, with an easy walk to the waterfront, lots of great restaurants, and most of the attractions. We did have cocktails an Happy Hour up at the Rooftop Bar and that was a fun experience with a great view. The food was better than average bar food. We didn't get a chance to use the bicycles, maybe next time. What impressed me the most is that every person that worked there seemed to really enjoy and take pride in their job and giving good, genuine, customer service. We stayed at 5 different hotels on a 2 week trip and this was definitely the best. We are hoping to return to Charleston and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple