“Excellent, excellent, excellent!”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We have just returned from a four-night stay at the Vendue, long enough to "know" the property. The entire staff, including the excellent manager and her assistant were extremely friendly and helpful - could not do enough for us. This attitude permeates the entire staff from the desk people to the servers. The breakfasts were just what we wanted with plenty of choice, hot and tasty. Whoever ownes this property is also to be commended as it is easy to get behind on repairs and maintenance - but not here. The property is kept in pristine condition.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed November 16, 2009

We were in Charleston for a wedding over the weekend and we had the best stay possible at the Vendue. The service was above and beyond and everyone around the inn was very helpful throughout our stay! The bellhop's were great to work with and would always greet us whenever we approached the door and ALWAYS asked if we needed anything or any ideas of where to head out to around town.

Our room had a great feel and bed was UNBELIEVABLY COMFORTABLE! Each night we were asked if we would like our bed turned down and we were also offered water each night. The maid staff keep our room very clean and neat throughout our stay and they even went as far as to put coins in dishes, straighten the bathroom counter, and even put my wife's jewelery in a dish in the bathroom. Not thrown in a dish but laid out neatly on the counter in the bathroom.

We have been to Charleston several times and I must say this was the BEST bed and breakfast that we have ever stayed at during our visits! We will definitely be staying at the Vendue Inn again!

Cheers
M & K

Reviewed November 14, 2009

Liked this place very much. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. The breakfast (included) was surprisingly good, and the wine & cheese in the afternoon was a nice touch. Within easy walking distance of most of the main sights and plenty of excellent restaurants nearby. The only ruffle was with our room. At first, we were placed in the auxiliary building across the street, up on the second floor. The room had no window -- only a skylight over the bed. Also, there is only one stairway to the second floor, so in the event of a fire, you'd better pray it doesn't involve the stairway. Staff was very gracious is moving us to another room in the main building the next day. That room was comparatively small -- adequate, but small -- but there were only two chairs in the room and, let's just say that if the CIA can't get anything out of Al Qaeda prisoners by waterboarding them, they might have them sit in one of these chairs for a half hour or so. That ought to do it. All in all though, would I go back again? Definitely!

Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Vendue Inn as part of our first anniversary trip. We ignored a waiter's warning to "check out the rooftop bar, but don't stay there." Even though my husband was assured that we had a very nice, quiet room on the 2nd floor, our room was right next to the elevator which (while quiet on the hallway) is extremely loud. I was unable to sleep, and politely mentioned this to the staff at checkout. I was told that the walls are thin, but that a manager would be calling me to follow up. The staff member seemed annoyed that I brought it up, and I got the distinct impression that I shouldn't have bothered him with it. Management did not follow up with me in any form. I should have moved rooms the night before, but didn't want to bother anyone.

Otherwise, the Inn is in need of a renovation - starting with the bathrooms. The decor looks old. Other than the staff member that dismissed me about the noise, the staff was excellent.

1  Thank RoxyAnna
Reviewed November 7, 2009

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in...it exceeded our expectations! We stayed in a king room with a working fireplace, hardwood floors, and beautifully decorated with antiques, and the price was very reasonable. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They offer a complimentary full hot breakfast in their restaurant every morning for hotel guests- it was amazing, as well as complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon, and cookies and milk in the lobby in the evening. The location of the hotel is also fantastic- it's the best you'll get...east bay street and market street have tons of restaurants and shops. It's safe to walk around at night on these streets- in fact there are tons of other tourists walking until at least midnight! Enjoy your stay, I think you'll be just as impressed.

1  Thank Traveler640
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My husband and I decided last minute to go to Charleston for the weekend. We called a few of some of the hotels we were familiar in. We got a very competitive rate and a great room. We stayed in a junior suite. Big room and big bathroom! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and not just your pastries and coffee that others offer. Loved the free use of the bikes and the milk and cookies offered at night. (but get there early, they disappear fast!) Great inn with different room options!

Reviewed October 31, 2009

This is the first time I ever felt compelled to spend time writing and submitting a review on a hotel. It was also the first time my husband and/or I have visited Charleston, SC.

The Vendue Inn is a great inn/hotel - from its General Manager, Suzie, and her gracious staff...to the wonderfully appointed guest rooms (we stayed in a King Jr. Fireplace) and welcoming reception/common areas. We believe some of the things that set it apart from other hotels we've stayed are the: availability of complimentary bikes (riding one alongside my husband all around Charleston may have been, to my surprise, my favorite part of our mini-vacation - on our last morning, we watched dolphins swimming just a few yards away); heavenly bed (we just got back from our trip last evening and we've already begun researching how we can duplicate it at home); made-to-order breakfast (included in the room charge was very nice and hard to believe given its quality and portion); manager's reception; and location, location, location (we never used our car during our stay and got to experience EVERYTHING on our to-do list from the Waterfront; to the Battery; to Market and King Streets (shopping was soooo much fun); to the Comedy Club; to a walking tour of Charleston's "darkside" (fun and interesting); to several - too many to choose from actually - exceptional restaurants).

We absolutely loooved the Vendue and, without hesitation, will tell our friends and family who plan to head to Charleston, SC that unless they want an exclusive "beach vacation" (when you'd probably prefer to stay on the beach), they should strongly consider (and ultimately choose) the Vendue Inn. When we go back to Charleston (can't wait), it'll be the Vendue Inn for us (and, hopefully, the same room) without hesitation.

1  Thank RDGPhillips