We stayed at the Vendue Inn for a weekend in September. Our experience at the Vendue was different from any other hotel stay we had previously. It was more intimate with the Bed and Breakfast feel, even though it's a hotel. I'll summarize the pros and cons below, but the overall notion of this review is that you can't go wrong with this Hotel.
Small touches make this hotel a pleasure
- Notes are left on the bed each evening with the upcoming weather and trivia.
- Homemade cookies and milk served in the lobby at 9pm nightly.
- Wine and fruit/cheese reception at 4pm daily.
- Homemade breakfast made to order (included with room rate)
- Very attentive housekeeping and staff made our stay fantastic. Everyone was so nice and was always willing to help in any way they could.
- The hotel has bikes you can take out for a stroll along the waterfront. Just ask the front desk.
Location, Location, Location!
You are one-half block from the pier and ocean front park. Go the other direction and you're two blocks from the Market. We were able to walk to dinner one night at the twenty or so nice restaurants that are within a three block radius of the hotel. We ate lunch one day at the rooftop bar and restaurant on top of the Vendue. Nice views of the city and harbor.
Some would classify a "pet-friendly" hotel a "Pro" since they can take their pets with them. But when you leave your beloved pooch to attend dinner and it barks and howls, it makes life for other patrons not so grand. This inn is very old, down to the creaking floor and thin walls. We could hear a dog barking that had to be five rooms down the hall! We're used to that sort of thing since we have a dog at home, so it didn't bother us. The only reason I make mention of it here is for that poor person who stayed next door to them that had to suffer.
The Vendue does not have their own parking lot. They point you in the direction of a parking lot a half block away. Well, since it is very close to the Market, and in the heart of downtown, arriving late on a Friday night for check-in results in a full parking garage. Luckily I remembered an additional parking garage just a block south of the hotel. We parked our car there for the entire weekend and the cost was only $20. But the Vendue does not validate parking, nor do parking garages give a discount if you stayed at the Vendue.
Overall our trip was the best trip by far we've had to Charleston. That was due, in a large part, to the stay at the Vendue. I highly recommend the hotel!
Oh, and one last note... You can spring for the King size bed for an extra $10. We did not take advantage and ended up in a very small room (which we were fine with). But for $10 extra you get a king, and a larger room! (we found this out by viewing the fire-escape layout of the building and discovering the "you are here" dot was in the smallest room on the floor)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently named #4 Best Small City Hotel in the U.S. by Travel + Leisure 2015. Charleston's Art Hotel, The Vendue, is located in the city's historic French Quarter just steps from world-renowned galleries and boutiques. The hotel features 2-3 rotating exhibits per year, allowing guests to explore and discover art from around the globe. Innovative cuisine, enticing art displays and panoramic rooftop views collectively inspire guests at every turn ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vendue Hotel Charleston
- Vendue Inn Charleston Sc