“I Read Several Reviews & I Must Comment:”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I have stayed with Vendue Inn many many times...I am a repeat that will continue to stay with this Inn.
I am there to see Charleston and not take pictures of a scratch on my canopy bed in the main house. Facelift? This is an old Inn with charm, history and in the historic district. The staff are wonderful and go over and beyond. They all care, you see it and feel it. The suites in the Main House are lovely. I adore the quiet rooms across the cobble stone street ...they all tell their own story. Room 350 has a fireplace. Cozy! Great hot coffee in the morning with the Post & Courier plus a great breakfast! Sweet tea & lemon aid all afternoon, wine and cheese at 4:00 or so.... .all included! The lobby flowers are a welcoming treat!
Spend your time learning about our Holy City and not on your knees with your camera set on close up to find a piece of dust on the floor. Good grief... Terry O.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank ShieldsSailor
Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We saw the rating for the Vendue inn on tripadvisor and then reviewed the Vendue Inn's website. The pictures of the rooms online looked beautiful and spacious so we booked. When we arrived the staff told us we wouldn't be staying in the main building, but rather the building across the street. The building across the street looks nothing like the Vendue inn and was in poor condition. The room we stayed in was like a closet-- small and cramped.

1  Thank RN2010
Reviewed August 25, 2009

My family has been there twice this year and the staff is very friendly, breakfast and happy hour are great 9included with the room), a wonderful location. The rooms can be a bit outdated but they are very clean.
They have several bikes for your enjoyment and thr price is very reasonable for a family because it includes the breakfast, happy hour and bilkes!
If you enjoy staying at smaller hotels, this is a great one to go to .

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I stayed at the Venue Inn while on a quick business trip on August 20.
The Inn is in a terrific location and I would say it's a good value for the money.
My room was 317. Decorated in lavender, grey hues.
With two windows, it was light and bright.
Comfortable bed.
The furniture could use some sprucing up, or replacing, it was a bit tired looking with quick a few scuffs and nicks.
The bathroom, also in need of an overhaul, but it was clean.
However, after reading another review, I did learn they are planning renovations.
The highlight was breakfast. I had mine in the charming front room that faces out onto the street. Food was good, friendly, fast service.
I was very impressed with the staff. They were friendly, helpful, and always available.
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to enjoy the wine and cheese hour, but would have liked to.
I would recommend it to a friend (and in fact have already), with the suggestion that they ask a lot of questions about the room. Each one, I noticed as I peeked in several on my way out, is decorated in a different color scheme.
I will definitely consider staying here again, hopefully next time on vacation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Our arrival was greeted by a very nice gentleman, Ed I believe was his name. Once we got into our room, things went south. The room had a water stained ceiling, dirty rug, outdated tube TV, scratched bed, outdated shower, and needed a facelift all around. Our room was not cleaned after the first night, and trying to get clean bath towels was like pulling teeth. A call at 6pm to notify front desk staff of our situation was a failure. The turndown service was extremely rude when asked for more towels as well, stating "that's not my job, talk to the front desk". We could hear chairs rustling from the rooftop bar above, and conversation could be clearly heard from the hall and TV's from adjoining rooms. We were disgusted and left after the second night. The management and ownership took great concern only AFTER we returned home. It's a shame the single handed, half-asleep college student attending the desk at checkout didn't have the same concern. I think management and ownership are more worried about bad reviews on Tripadvisor than guests stays and quality of their hotel.

3  Thank UStraveler080
sridder, Owner at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2009

I am Robert Pritikin, one of the owners of the Vendue Inn and have been in the hospitality business since the 1970s. Goodwill is what we are all about and well over half of our guests have been with us before or are referred to us by other guests. I personally respond individually to each and every comment, whether they are good or bad, and follow up on every issue. This is how I have conducted my business for many, many years; certainly long before the advent of on-line review sites. I always regret when a customer has a less than great experience with us; when we are wrong or fail to deliver as we should, we do our best to make things right for the guest. We also analyze each issue and do all we can to make certain any mistake we make is not repeated.

Regrettably we made mistakes with this guest but what is more unfortunate is that the guest did not receive the sort of service that we are known to deliver. The guest is correct that her guestroom was not cleaned nor were the towels replenished for a day. In fairness, however, the guest placed a “do not disturb” sign on our door. Under such circumstances, it is our policy to honor the guest’s request for privacy.

Where we did come up short with this guest was on service issues regarding responsiveness and politeness. The responses this guest received were not at the level that we are committed to deliver and, as such, were just not acceptable; there have been adjustments made with certain staff members. I personally apologized to the guest for experiencing less than the hospitality that we are known for and had our manager contact her by phone and refund her money, all before this tripadvisor review.

We do understand the importance of a quite restful stay. Certainly, there is a great deal of activity that goes on around our location. While activity brings a certain energy and vibrancy, it can also bring some noise. We have put a lot of effort into trying to eliminate noise disturbances at the Vendue Inn and have been very successful. This last year alone we addressed the two major issues at the source of previous noise complaints. The first was street noise that has been virtually eliminated by replacing every exterior window in the Inn with new sound deadening laminated glass windows. The second was noise from the Rooftop Bar that has been addressed with a new sound system (that eliminates vibration) coupled with a decision to significantly reduce hours during which music may be played.

Certainly, this guest has highlighted some areas that we need to further examine and improve—and that is precisely what we will do.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

What a wonderful time we had staying at the Vendue Inn. Staff was great, lots of little extras make this place worth every dime. Would definately stay here again.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

My wife and I traveled to Charleston for a few days of R&R and stayed at the Vendue Inn one night, sold mainly by the pretty pictures we had seen on the Inn's web site. Our overall impression of the Vendue is of a grand Charleston Inn that is perhaps past its prime, despite the best efforts of its staff to ensure a quality stay.
THE GOOD: The Vendue Inn is centrally located, just minutes from the hustle and bustle of the market streets and vendors' shops and mere steps away from a superb waterfront park. The Inn has a popular rooftop bar, from which you can get a great view of Charleston at night. The staff at the Vendue is attentive, helpful and effusively polite (I still can't get used to having porters open doors for me!) The rooms are spacious and clean and the breakfast is served piping hot, with lots of coffee refills.
THE BAD: My wife and I stayed in a "Deluxe King Suite", in which the main feature, it seems, was an uneven floor. You could literally roll a marble down from one end of the room to the other. I suppose this comes from operating in a heritage building. In addition, the rugs in the room were frayed at the edges, the TV sat forlornly in an oversized cast-off wall unit, the mattress was far too soft and the parking a bit bothersome (just a short jog to a poorly-lit public carpark).
THE TRULY UGLY: The bathtub in our room had a three-foot long chip at the bottom with an equally big stain, which precluded any idea of us actually taking a bath. Even a Super 8 motel would never allow such a blight. We thought about asking for a room change, but the Inn was full-up that night, so we simply made-do.
THE SURPRISE: So the next day, we lodged a complaint with hotel management. The clerk on duty listened carefully, noted the complaint, and told us we'd be hearing from someone soon. We then left the Vendue Inn, fairly certain that little or no action would be taken. But within a week, the manager sent us an e-mail, in which she personally apologized for the inconvenience and offered us a sizeable discount on our stay (and not simply a voucher on our "next visit", as so often happens). She also explained that the Vendue is slated for renovations soon and the room we were assigned to given top priority. This reply greatly satisfied us.

Would we return to the Vendue Inn? Based on the strength of the Inn's location and outstanding service: yes (but only AFTER renovations are completed!)

1  Thank CaptainFinicky