“Greatest Birthday Trip Ever”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Ohio
“Greatest Birthday Trip Ever”
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I couldn`t wait to get back home to Ohio to express my great pleasure with my birthday trip this June to Charleston, South Carolina. My daughter chose the location and hotel based on my love of history,and wow, was I not disappointed! What a beautiful city, and what a lovely hotel! Located right in the center of everything historical, plus easy access to all of the restaurants and nightspots.What more could I ask for? Our suite was huge, the beds were wonderful.I hadn`t slept so well in ages. The bath was large with both a walk in shower and a jacuzzi tub, which of course I took advantage of! Our check in was a breeze, with very friendly staff. Parking is available right across the street, and the Library Restaurant offers complementary breakfast. The Rooftop bar was nice, with live music the night we were there, and a heavenly cool breeze. As you can guess ,I loved the decor of the hotel, felt like I was right in the middle of one of my historical novels! Definitely would stay again....entire experience gets an A .Now I can`t wait to come back again.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank MustangSalOhio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
nashville
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I found the General manger (Sue) to be unresponsive to genuine concerns. Her position was always my fault and not the Inn's. The sweet next door to mine was extremely!..I called the front desk on three separate asking management to do something about it. Only after thirty minutes did a young inexperienced front desk manager arrive to do something about it...He was unable to and the noise continued. After another young experienced managers show up within 30 minutes of each other,,,,They were unable to control the situation. We were not offered to be moved to another room. When we asked to be moved we were told tha there were no other room available,,,Also were no apologies

The $400,00 a night sweet was unclean, Carpets were filthy and the bathroom toilet was in disrepair. When I informed the Sue the General she stated that they are planning to have the carpets soon,

Sue was both condescending to us and deliberately uncooperative She was clueless about guest service........STAY AWAY ..DO NOT WASTE YOIUR MONEY!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — management particulary Sue the GM
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank vasili2
sridder, Owner at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
To Trip Advisor:

I am Robert Pritikin, co-owner of Vendue Inn, and have owned and managed hotels as well as the Pritikin Longevity Centers since the mid-seventies. During that time I have been fortunate to make many lifelong friends out of customers. At the Vendue Inn, for example, two-thirds of our guests have stayed with us before or been referred by previous guests. Of the many reviews we receive on Trip Advisor; we are proud that most earn four or five stars--placing Vendue among Charleston’s top 10 hotels out of nearly sixty. Until the recent review by Vasili2, we hadn’t received less than four stars since July of 2008.

In all candor, our positive reviews don’t result from doing everything right; like everyone else we make mistakes. When they are brought to our attention, we do what it takes to satisfy the guest and institute measures to prevent repetition. We care about our guests and want them to have the best stay possible.

Obviously, we did not meet the expectations of Vasili2 and his companion. They were hoping to have a relaxing and quiet stay, certainly a reasonable aspiration, and something most of our guests have come to expect. But, as Vasili2 describes, they complained of noise at approximately 7:30 pm on the first night of their stay. While we don’t allow parties in our rooms, the two young women next door invited other female visitors into their suite. Following investigation and contact by management, the visitors departed.

Vasili2 mentions the “unresponsiveness” of our General Manager, Susie Ridder. We seek and receive responses from a large percentage of our guests. Susie is mentioned more often and more favorably than any other manager in my three decades of experience. On the rare occasions when a guest becomes dissatisfied, she agonizes over the situation, looking for ways she might have obtained a better resolution..

Since the Inn was full, Susie could not offer the Vasili2 party another room. Although she tried her best
to satisfy them, they took their unhappiness to the Inn’s dining and gathering room; telling whoever would listen about how poorly they were being treated. Susie called me for suggestions, as she had never experienced a similar reaction and behavior from guests. She was concerned the Vasili2 party was engaging in the very conduct they had complained about--interfering with the peaceful enjoyment
of other guests.

My advice to Susie was to propose that we refund their stay and book them a room in a neighboring inn, since we seemed unable to do what it took to put a smile on their faces. This was angrily refused. The reviewers felt that we were putting the blame of them and very publicly escalated their unhappiness to other guests. At this point I personally intervened, called them, apologized and again offered to refund their stay and find alternative accommodations. When they refused, I asked what I could do to make things right and they told me to refund their first night. I immediately agreed. They then assured me all was well.

-- Robert Pritikin, co-owner
South Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We recently stayed at The Vendue Inn and it was wonderful. The staff is extremely attentive. We checked into a King Suite which had a beautiful four poster bed that was so plush and comfortable. Ten minutes after we arrived a bottle of champagne was brought to our room. The fireplace and jacuzzi tub were welcome additions to our romantic weekend. We really enjoyed drinks and appetizers at the Rooftop bar located on site. After dinner and an evening stroll, we returned to our room to find the bed turned down, ice bucket filled and bottled water in the room. The next morning a made to order breakfast was served and it was delicious. I highly recommend this charming hotel to anyone who wants to get away and be pampered but still be close to all the beautiful sights in Historic Charleston.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn09SouthCarolina
Ill
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay there ,the people were great if you needed anything you just had to ask.I
The rooms were very clean and it was nice to have a bottle of wine in our plus ,it was nice to have the fireplace trun on and the bed was very comfortable. We would go again.The dining room was really nice.They came and waited on you for your breakfast,it wasn't just juice and coffee.It was great time there.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
phoenix
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary and had the best time. The Roof Top Bar is the best in th City. The rooms were clean and the staff was great, This was our second stay here and we will be going back every year.

Arizona
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Vendue Inn for our Anniversay. It is is most quaint and beautiful place we have been to yet. The staff went above and beyond in every aspect of making us feel comfortable. The rooms were very romantic and beds were extremly comfortable. You can walk almost anywhere in downtown Charleston and is it righ tin the heart of what's happening. I liked best the way the staff and the Inn made me feel, very inviting. This is a place that will always be special to me and my spouse and are sure to visit as often as possible.

Hoopeston, Illinois
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The Vendue Inn makes you feel like you are part of their family. The staff treat you like you are the only people staying at the Inn. They are so gracious and they tend to your every need. The rooms are great and definitly have southern comfort . It is great to go some place like the Vendue Inn and feel like you are coming home.