“Great location, top notch staff, GREAT beds”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 13, 2009

Vendue Inn is in the heart of the action of the French Q of Charleston. It is a historic place so honestly don't expect perfect walls and floors. (I thought the old hardwood floors with soft rugs absolutely authentic!) But this place is perfectly clean, charming, well serviced, and very comfortable. We had a deluxe king room, with a separate sitting area, modern bathroom, canopy bed that was just dreamy to sleep on. Again, it is a historic building so walls can be a bit thin. But we didn't hear noise after 9pm, which we felt was a wonderful compromise. Breakfast was fulfilling and warmly served. The staff was very accommodating and had great recommendations for things to do and places to go. The free bikes are a great touch which we thoroughly enjoyed. This place made us feel very welcome and we loved it.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed February 26, 2009

Nice room, but we didn't get the free WiFi that was advertised. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Near the waterpark. You can walk to everything. So much to see, no matter how many times I visit Charleston...I always find something new to see.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Vendue Inn was an absolutely superb experience from beginning to end. From the moment we walked in the door the staff was friendly, helpful and full of information. The service was beyond A+. Once we checked into our lovely room complete with fireplace and complementary port wine on the mantle we went back to the lobby for a complementary wine and hors de houvres in the afternoon. The location cannot be beat. It is in the middle of the historic district right by Waterfront Park and within walking distance of the Battery and horse drawn carriage tours. If this isn't enough, the bedding is beyond fabulous, complete with customized Serta mattresses and down mattress covers and pillows which provided us with one of the best nights sleep we can remember in a long time. In the morning we were treated to a wonderful selection of breakfast options in an elegant dining room included with the price of the room. The rooftop bar gives you panoramic views of all of Charlston as well as the waterfront. This hotel is full of southern charm, hospitality, and one of a kind luxurious surroundings. Quaint, intimate, lovely!!!! A+++++++ !!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelQueen2002
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My boyfriend and I were at the Vendue Inn this past weekend. This was our first time staying there and we had a perfect time. The staff, especially housekeeping, were so friendly and helpful. We came in around 11pm Saturday night and they had already put up the milk and cookies but one of the staff was sweet enough to get us some cookies, which by the way were the best cookies I had ever tasted!

In all honesty the room was not quite as nice as I had expected but the bed was unbelievably comfortable. The location of Vendue Inn can't be beat and the rooftop bar is amazing. Beautiful views and great staff. We really enjoyed Matt and Shawn, our bartenders. They were very professional but also great fun!
We will definitely stay at Vendue Inn again!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mcfromsc
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I want to start by saying I love the Vendue Inn. I have spent many of my Anniversary's here and have always loved it. I think I gave it 4 stars out of memories than anything else. First off, the employees are wonderful and very helpful. The service was great. The main complaint I had is that the inn is getting really run down. Our room was one that we had stayed in before and this time, the carpet was all stained and the bedskirt was stained. The furniture looked like it came from a fire sale. For the money you pay I would expect a little more. The housekeeping is not very good, my carpet was not vacuumed when we arrived and wasn't the entire stay. One day I left when the cleaning lady walked in and forgot my cellphone. In the short time it took me to get up the elevator she had already left my room...kind of makes you wonder. All in all, the stay was wonderful and I hate to have to stay somewhere else when visiting next year, as the Vendue is sentimental to me. I hope they make some much needed upgrades and upgrade thier housekeeping as well.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cesully
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I knew the location was going to be good but was a bit concerned about comments about the noise from the rooftop bar. Our room was on the second floor near the elevator. Although we did here some bumps from the elevator, we never heard noise from the bar, probably because the live music ends at 9pm, about the time we finished our dinner and wanted to listen to the live music. The bellmen, clerks, servers and room maids were all very hospitable. When we made a request of the bellman that our feathered pillows and comforter be replaced due to our allergies, he handled the request. Breakfast, ordered from a menu and served in a small private dining room, was adequate. We attended one of the evening manager’s receptions in the same dining room. The cheese, appetizers and wine were all ample but thought it would have been more fun if it was held in the adjoining library lobby where the guests would have been forced to stand and mingle, instead of sit and ignore. I was impressed that the general manager had time to chat with us during our last breakfast. When I returned home, I received an email questionnaire from the inn’s owner. After filling it out, I received a reply responding to my comments. This too is very impressive.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JohnGalt2
Reviewed November 3, 2008

we stayed here for 2 nights in october.we had a king deluxe room the room was nice but for the price not very spacious.we did not have to pay for the stay it was a thank you for my husband from his company so we are not complaining.the toiletries we're very nice and the breakfast and afternoon wine and our'derves we're very nice.the location was excellent right in front of battery park.the first night of our stay there was a deluge of rain all night the water was over the curbs so that kind of hampered our first evening.we heard they got 7 inches of rain in that one day.
all in all we enjoyed our stay here but we would not pay that much ourselves so this may be our only stay.his company also paid for us to eat at roberts which was a very close walk from the inn and was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank UNCMOM2011