“Nice Find in Charleston”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #15 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Seattle, Washington
“Nice Find in Charleston”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is a really terrific small hotel right in the prime arts district of Charleston. It is only a block from one of the free bus trolleys that circle the city and easy to walk to many restaurants, galleries and other spots of historic interest.

I stayed on the historic side - 26 Vendue - and it may or may not appeal to everyone. I loved it, but I love historical places/lodging. It definitely has a more worn feel, but the art gallery style is very nice. The room was small but well appointed with a large LCD television. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and a modern vessel style bathroom sink. The provided bathrobes were comfy to slip into after a long soak/bubbles.

The room did not have windows as others have complained about, but that did not bother me, in fact, this probably provided a lot of blockage from the street noise. There was a large skylight directly over the bed. I'd check beforehand and ensure you get a room with a window if this is a requirement.

I ate across the street in the hotel restaurant for breakfast one day over the weekend, and it was excellent. The service at the hotel itself is exemplary and courteous. Parking is paid valet (you don't need a car if staying in downtown for your entire visit) or self-park.

The only issue I had at all is that the noise level between the rooms could be difficult, and I had to resort to ear plugs. I could literally hear the people in the room next to me talking like they were in the same room! When the staff was going up and down and cleaning, it was quite loud. This is definitely something to be aware of if you are a light sleeper like me.

Overall, I would definitely stay again, and it's really a splendid hotel complex.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Dragonia64,
thank you for the very detailed review and feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our service.
We hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Our recent trip to Charleston was a short one but was made a bit more memorable by staying at the Vendue. You will enjoy the Vendue, from the comfortable and classy rooms to the excellent food at the Drawing room and cocktails at the rooftop bar. Convenient to almost everything in old town Charleston, our experience at the Vendue was great. My wife and I were celebrating our 36th anniversary and the staff at the Vendue helped to make our trip special. Their restaurant recommendations were spot on and they made sure each restaurant knew our reason for the trip.

Room Tip: Let them know if you are celebrating something special and they may surprise you with a room upgrade...
2 Thank RockHound1
Dear RockHound1
Thank you for choosing The Vendue for your special occasion. I am glad that you experienced every facet of our Hotel and that you enjoyed it so much.
We look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2014

As much as I hesitated to write this review, for purely selfish reasons, I decided that I needed to share my experience with other travelers who visit the Charleston area. I am a frequent visitor to Charleston due to it's southern charm and cuisine, and have established my favorite 'places' to stay while visiting the town. I have stayed at many luxury hotels in the historic district, and have always gravitated back toward two of my 'faves'. Well, this place has completely changed my mind about the others, and I'm just afraid that it won't be available for me when I decide to return to Charleston.

I had always considered The Vendue "off the beaten path", but I was wrong! This place is convenient to everything, and you don't feel like you've hiked all day to see everything there is to see in Charleston. And, one of the really nice things was the fact that you don't hear all of those annoying traffic noises at night while you are trying to sleep. So, me and a friend booked the King suites which were right beside of each other in the main building. These rooms were incredible! I made a point to stay up late each night so I could just enjoy laying in the bed and watching tv.

From the minute we arrived at the hotel, the staff treated us like they had known us for years. They were friendly, warm, welcoming, and genuinely happy for us to be there. Not as happy as we were, though! After settling in, we made our way up to the rooftop bar. That place was really neat. It consisted of different levels with different seating arrangements so it didn't feel like you were staring at everyone or being stared at while enjoying a cocktail. Great drinks, great views and great food with impeccable service.

We enjoyed room service the following morning, and the french toast was amazing. Again, the staff (our friends) went over and above to make sure everything was perfect.

The following day, after a Sunday of shopping, we decided to return to the hotel around 7pm. I was tired and thought how lovely it would be to get a massage. It was Sunday night. No spas were open. I wandered out into the lobby and asked about the local spas, at which time a young lady provided a card to me of a Licensed Physical Therapist who had dropped off a business card. I asked the staff if it was okay to have a massage therapist come in that evening, and they were happy that they were able to accommodate my requests! Ok, so a luxurious room with complimentary wine on a Sunday evening with a massage therapist (with incredibly reasonable rates) who comes to you! It doesn't get any better than this!!

Unless this place is booked up (which is why I hesitated to write a review), I won't be staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DelPickt
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear DelPickt,
...what a great review! Thank you so much. We certainly put a lot of pride and effort into what we do and seeing it being appreciated this much is fantastic.
We too know we've found a new friend and look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My wife and I decided to take a short getaway to celebrate our anniversary while we were visiting family in South Carolina. I got on-line and started blind on picking a location in Charleston as we heard that this was a wonderful destination. The Vendue was just what we needed and the staff was very attentive. the first night we decided to have dinner at the Vendue and it was top notch. I ordered the Grouper and it was absolutely wonderful! My wife had a specialty salad and gazpacho and it was also fantastic. The locatoin was central to many great places and things to see. We would highly recommend this establishment!

Dear Jerry c,
thank you so much for choosing the Vendue for such a special occasion as your 30th wedding anniversary... we're honored.
We appreciate the time you took to write the review and we look forward to being able to serve you again in the future.

Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed during the moth of July. I'm not sure how long they had been reopened since their remodel. Everything was great. It all started with Mark the Bellman who walked up 5 flights of stairs to retrieve our bags from our car. Check in went smoothly and they had plenty of recommendations for us during our stay. Our room was filled with beautiful furnishings and we had a gorgeous bath with a real walk in shower. Turn down service every night as well as wine and snacks in the afternoon and cookies and milk in the evening. The rooftop bar was great with a good view of the area. The breakfasts that we ate here were the best we had while on vacation. I can't say enough good things about the Vendue. Great stay in a great location.

Room Tip: East Bay rooms are beautiful and full of light.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear Belle044,
thank you so much for choosing The Vendue and for the great review.
We started our reopening phase at the beginning of April and we've been fully operational since the second half of May. Glad to hear you enjoyed the amenities (I know I love those cookies). We hope you'll get a chance to try The Drawing Room for dinner on your next stay.

toronto
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Vendue last week and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our room was gorgeous and spacious. Fortunately, we were given a deal which made our stay a little more affordable.

There is a roof top bar that is worth having a drink at. From the roof top you get a really good view of Charleston.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DebToronto,
glad to hear you took advantage of our summer promotion. Stay tuned for future ones.
We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Charleston.

SC
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Vendue inn not only is in the perfect location to walk to just about everything in downtown Charleston, it is a beautiful hotel and the amenities on site are wonderful. The staff is friendly and welcoming. For the price it is a GREAT value. I have stayed at numerous hotels in the area and I would highly recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: East bag king - very spacious!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Mall0ry2,

thank you for choosing The Vendue and for the great review.
We look forward to your next visit.