“Wonderful Inn”

Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
ohio
“Wonderful Inn”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I chose the Vendue based solely on the website with no real input from friends. This was just a short, 4-day get-away and I wanted someplace that I thought would be special. We totally loved the Vendue. It is perfectly situated about 200 feet from a beautiful park that overlooks the water. The park has a large pier with benches and swings and is very safe 24/7. The Vendue is also downtown and walking distance to everything. The people inside are what really makes it so special. A week before our arrival the concierge called us to see if there was anything he could do. We asked him to book us some dinner reservations and he selected perfect restaurants for each night at precisely the time we had requested. He confirmed the reservations with an email to me. Coffee and fresh fruit along with hot based muffins were laid out each morning. You could sit down in one of the comfortable rooms with couches and tables or take it back to your room. Every afternoon at 4pm they have a nice wine and cheese break. It allowed us to sit by the fire and just relax for an hour. Any request we made was met with a willingness to help in any way or do what they could to make us comfortable and happy. The rooms were very nice - quite clean and charming. We only saw our one room but it was terrific. We hope to go back again soon. It is very much worth the cost and I would highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ohiotraveler121
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for your review. Your kind comments about the hotel and the staff have been passed along and we are so happy that you found The Vendue to be exactly what you hoped it would be from your research on our website.
We are very lucky to be in such a fantastic location in Charleston and each person on our staff strives to make all of our guests feel relaxed and welcome prior to and during your time spent here. I'm also pleased to know that you enjoyed the amenities we offer to all of our guests each day.
I hope that you'll be back to Charleston! We all look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Carlisle,Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I were traveling up the coast (from Savannah) and had reservations at the now defunct Anchorage Inn. We walked into 26 Vendue Range to find one of the the most gorgeous, friendly and helpful people EVER. She very patiently explained we could park immediately in front of the hotel while we were getting settled and that the owners of the Vendue had purchased and rehabbed the property. After getting settled in we were shown the hotel parking area and I moved the car to that area.
The room was GORGEOUS. Turn down service was the best I've ever experienced and the front desk/concierge was always helpful (no matter who was manning the desk).
Breakfast was across the street and was delicious. Galina was our server and made the meal a delight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Txomin_51
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our property and staff. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Vendue and appreciate that you took the time to remember us from your trip in October. I am also delighted that Galina, your breakfast server, provided you with a level of service that proved noteworthy. Your remarks will be passed along to her and I know that she will be happy to receive your positive feedback.
We certainly hope that you will continue to be our guest during any future trips to Charleston.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We got a Groupon for this hotel so didn't have high expectations, but we were so thrilled when we arrived at Vendue. We stayed in the building across the street from the main location, in a downstairs room, with a giant four poster bed and a fireplace and original brick walls. It does not get more romantic!! The location was perfect, within walking distance of all the best restaurants and bars and the battery. If you do nothing in Charleston but divide your time between luxuriating in your room at Vendue, wandering the nearby streets, and eating at the nearby restaurants, it will be time well spent. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CMTravels229
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your recent stay at The Vendue. We are quite fortunate to be located so centrally to Charleston's historic sites and fantastic restaurants. We all look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have to say I was actually a little disappointed when we arrived at the Inn. First of all it had be bought and changed owners from the time I had booked the reservation and the time we traveled. I think an email at least would have been nice to have known this seeing that the name on the front of the building was changed as well.
One of the disappointments was the fact that there were no fresh flowers anywhere. One of the things that drew me to the inn was the pictures with all the flowers, they were even mentioned in the reviews.
Another reason that I chose the "Anchorage Inn" was they featured a full hot breakfast. Well "The Vendue" does not. It offered coffee, bananas and mini muffins. Not real filling on a cold morning.
We were also looking forward to the wine and sherry hour with hot and cold appetizers. It looked very nice and we like sherry. Now it was some very cheap wine, cheese cubes and pimento cheese spread. Again, very un-appealing.
They did keep the cookies and milk at bedtime. (We didn't partake)
On a POSITVE note: The concierge was amazing. He took care of many of my reservations as part of the surprise weekend I had planned. He had great suggestions and had to change many of them because of a sudden change in weather. He was great.
We loved the location, lots of wonderful restaurants and the waterside park was at the end of the street.
We can't wait to get back to Charleston (in warmer weather) but will probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sewtweet
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations or our standards. The former Anchorage Inn has been acquired by The Vendue and we have started the process of making several positive changes. Our guests' feedback is always appreciated and considered for improvements.
I’m happy to hear that our concierge offered excellent service during your stay. We strive to make each of our guests stay memorable and your positive comments regarding his service will be passed along to him.
I hope that you will reconsider The Vendue for your future trips to Charleston. Please contact me directly to discuss the exciting changes we are currently working on.
Rochester, New York, USA
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I are on our way back from a 5 night, 6 day stay at the Vendue and our stay was beyond exceptional. The Vendue is currently undergoing renovations, so our stay was at the adjacent property that they purchased (the old Anchorage Inn).

When we arrived, Jake greeted us at the door and grabbed our bags for us. He offered to bring them up to the room and offered some immediate suggestions for where we can grab a quick bite. Jake was extremely pleasant and remembered our names throughout the rest of our stay and constantly offered his assistance.

Next, we checked in and met our concierge, Robbie. Robbie was very knowledgeable about the history of the hotel, current events in Charleston, recommended restaurants based on our tastes, and made our stay exceptionally pleasant. Robbie served the wine and cheese each night and made nice conversation. We decided to rent a car on our last day. We ran into some issues booking through a particular rental agency, but Robbie came up with a solution that saved us time, money and headache! Robbie was an extremely valuable asset to the Vendue.

We also dealt with Nikki and Alex at the front desk, and both were accommodating in helping us book a spa appointment and restaurant reservations. I didn't have much more interaction with them, but they greeted us by name and continued to make the experience memorable.

The only problem we had during our stay was the WiFi access. It was very spotty and slow. I believe this is probably because we weren't staying at their original hotel, so maybe the router was very far away. Although this wasn't a major problem for us it may be for others. You may want to be aware.

I would recommend this to every traveler looking for a pleasant, warm, welcoming accommodations who want to experience true southern hospitality. The inn is located in a PRIME area of downtown Charleston... within walking distance to the Battery, plenty of restaurants and bars, and short distance to the King St. shopping distance.

Thanks again, Vendue!

Joel and Maryjo

Room Tip: If you are traveling to the Inn before they complete their renovations, be sure to ask if your room...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
As a manager of The Vendue, I appreciate your kind words about your recent stay. It seems that our staff helped to make you stay enjoyable and memorable.
It is especially rewarding to all of us here at The Vendue when our staff is mentioned by name and your complimentary comments will be passed on to each of them. Thank you for your patronage and I hope that you will consider The Vendue as your home away from home each time you're in Charleston.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Upon arriving at The Vendue we were very disappointed the main building, restaurant and famous bar were closed because they had been gutted for remodel. We wish we would have known ahead of time. We had arrived a little before checking and our first room was very old and not what we had expected from viewing the website. Turns out the hotel had just bought the building about one month prior to have rooms during two renovation. Although awkward, I asked if there were any other rooms and the staff was so nice about it!!they put us in a lovely room with an exposed brick wall and all the trimmings you see in the pictures on the website. If you are visiting before April 2014, be sure to ask for a room in their oldest building. It's the small building across the street from the main property, you don't want to be in the property they purchased in October/November 2013 if you want a room like what you see online. Our room was tiny but beautiful and exactly what I had hoped for!

Although the beginning was awkward, our stay was amazing. The staff wasp sweet and helpful. Robbie the concierge was very nice and accommodating. All the staff went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful stay!

Our only side note is that the bed in our room was VERY soft, feather top and only feather pillows. If you have a bad back or need a firmer bed, you will need to ask for special accommodations upon booking and I'm sure the staff would be very gracious about your needs.

The hotel is very nicely located to lots of major attractions, great restaurants and other fun things to do. If you stay, turn left on East Bay and walk down Broad Street, a gem that shouldn't be ignored.

Room Tip: Make sure your room won't be in the building they purchased in the fall of 2013. The rooms are n...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Vendue and appreciate your kind words about the staff. I apologize that you weren't properly informed about our renovation project that is currently taking place.
I am also delighted that Robbie, our concierge, provided you with a level of service that proved noteworthy. Your kudos will be passed along to him and I know that they will be happy to receive your positive feedback. We strive to make all of our guests comfortable and can certainly make arrangements to accommodate your needs in advance of your stay. We all look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.
Augusta, GA
Reviewed December 26, 2013

From the outside (and the lobby), The Vendue makes guests feel as if they've stepped into a very exclusive club with very high-end amenities. It wasn't until 24 hours into the stay that I began seeing faults. The building is very old (and beautiful), but this means the hotel has to deal with old-building problems. The room fixtures are beautiful, but there were some stains on the ceiling and the ceiling itself was cracked around the outlet for the water sprinkler. The water pressure in the shower was abysmal, and the room itself was very small. The bed is very, very comfortable, and our room looked out into the atrium, which was serving as the lobby during renovations. Although her friendliness was appreciated by guests checking in, the receptionist was a little too enthusiastic for guests whose rooms looked out over the cavernous atrium trying to sleep in. I would stay here again, but I would hope for some aesthetic improvements to reflect the rate charged by the establishment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Red2014
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that there were several aspects of your stay that were positive and that you recognize our staff as being friendly and upbeat. I do sincerely apologize that your desire for quiet enjoyment was interrupted for that reason, though, and I will review this with our staff. I would also like to be able to address some of the other issues that you encountered during your stay so that we can correct them. Please contact me directly to discuss some of the details of your visit. I hope that you will consider our property for your future trips to Charleston.