“Romantic Weekend Place!”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My fiancée and I really enjoyed our stay at the Vendue Inn. I'll start with the location. It's perfect! Once you get checked in, it's easy to leave your car and walk to restaurants, bars, and other sightseeing spots. The staff were all friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The rooms were what you expect at an historic hotel property. That being said, they were clean and well maintained. The furnishings were tasteful and solid. The managers reception around 5pm in the lobby was a nice touch, too. When I return to Charleston, I'm certain I will book the Vendue Inn!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for choosing The Vendue for your romantic weekend getaway! We appreciate your kind comments about our staff. They certainly strive to make sure each of our guests enjoy their stay. We're also pleased to know that our property met your expectations and our manager's reception was an added touch. We look forward to the next time you stay at The Vendue.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Between the time we booked our tip and our visit the Anchorage Inn was bought by the Vendue Inn, which is directly across the street. Our booking came with free breakfast. Not sure if the new owners are doing that. In any event, this was a great hotel set in an old warehouse. It is a block from the pier and within walking distance of everything. Take advantage of the rooftop bar across the street in nice weather.

Room Tip: You might want a room on the 2nd floor as you can hear people walking around. Also note the room win...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My daughter decided to surprise us at the last minute and drive down from her college in Virginia. The Vendue folks gave us a complimentary upgrade to a much larger room with two beds, a fireplace and complimentary sherry! Wow! My daughter was prepared to sleep on the floor, but instead said "I never want to leave!" Great location, super nice people, complimentary coffee, wine and cheese, and desert. My gosh, you can't go wrong. And, if you need a haircut, ask Robbie if his lovely fiancé Katelynn can fit you in (both my husband and daughter needed haircuts and Katelynn did a great job on both of them). Can't say enough good things about our stay. We live on the other side of the country, but plan to return to the Vendue Inn.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

As a manager of The Vendue, I wanted to personally thank you for letting us know that your most recent stay went the way that it should and that we were able to comfortably accommodate you and your daughter.

I was particularly pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hospitality of the staff and that we succeeded in treating you like family and anticipating your needs. I am also delighted that Robbie, our concierge, provided you with a level of service that proved noteworthy. Your kudos will be passed along to him and I know that he will be happy to receive your positive feedback.

We are always pleased when guests return to The Vendue and I do hope that you will continue to consider us as your home in Charleston. All of us look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked at the Vendue Inn for two nights and ended up extending my stay to four nights. My room was super quiet, elegantly appointed, and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The staff was amazing, bending over backwards to make my stay enjoyable. And did I mention the wonderful included full hot breakfast of your choice? The next time you're in Charleston, SC make a date to stay at the Vendue Inn - you won 't want to leave !

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank zetabetsy
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My daughter flew into Charleston, Oct.16, 2013. Using tripadvisor I checked out hotels, wanting
one in the historic district, centrally located. The Vendue, according to management is about
to close for renovations. It certainly is not a day too soon. I hasten to say the staff was very
warm and did what they could to make our stay better. My daughters room, upon arriving,
smelled of mildew and horse and whatever. It faced the street 2nd story level. She was
moved to another room, much smaller, tv did not work. Repairs were attemped, not success-
ful. This hotel charges premium rates and touts itself as a historic luxury hotel. Be warned
it is certainly old, but it lacks so many things that make a stay memorable. Dinning is ok.
Not special. No refrigerators in room , no snacks, etc. Now, they have wine in lobby in early
evening. Wine is ok, cheese and dips are usually good and milk and cookies in lobby in late
evening. But they cannot handle crowd, not enough room,no place to sit etc. After a long
and tiring walk all over Charleston, you get to your room and relax, who wants to go down
to the lobby and eat cookies and milk. You can bring it to your room, but then you must
dress or never undress . The cookies are ok, not earthshaking. I say all this to say, there
are other hotels much more atune to customer comfort and probably not over $300 A NIGHT.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dotsi
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear that our staff offered excellent service during your stay. However, I am certainly disappointed about the issues you experienced with the guest room and the amenities we offer. We strive to make each of our guests stay memorable including our special touches like the milk and cookies. Your experience falls short of our standards and we would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please contact us directly so that we can discuss specifics of your stay to ensure that this kind of experience isn't shared by future guests.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here in August 2013, it was a very nice experience. The hotel is quite old but our room had been renovated. As many reviewers have pointed out it is not your typical cookie-cutter five-star hotel. If you have a problem with winding hallways, a slow elevator and rooms that have a layout that accommodate the architecture versus the architecture accommodating a big square room this might not be the spot for you. Then again, if you have a problem with old world architecture, Charleston's probably not the spot for you either.

The wine and cheese reception was exceedingly pleasant – again, if you're expecting to have a five-star sommelier a serve you $200 a bottle wine you are probably overreaching a bit. If you're looking for an opportunity to sit down, relax and have a drinkable glass of wine with some good cheese you're in the right spot.

The hotel's staff is pleasant, accommodating and exceedingly helpful. I cannot find anything to complain about.

Room Tip: Apparently, some have been renovated and some have not - better ask.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David A
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading more reviews, I feel a little better about my honest opinion of the Vendue Inn. I was thinking... Am I the only one having a bad experience???... It seems that some other customers felt the exact same way I did...

The Good:
All staff I encountered were extremely nice.
The bed was very comfortable.
The location is great.

The Bad:
I paid for a fireplace king room, I was "upgraded" to a junior suite (room 254 for reference) upon my arrival. This room was actually in the hotel across the street and it wasn't what I would consider an upgrade of any kind. Our room had no windows except for a skylight that had the sun right over the bed in the morning. I couldn't tell if our hotel room was clean because there was hardly any light. They did not honor our complimentary breakfast, that we were offered when we booked the hotel room. This hotel has recently been sold... so I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

The Ugly:
The bathroom was severely outdated. Our shower door wouldn't even close. It was just dark and dank room... and the fireplace was connected to the bathroom so you could see from the bedroom into the bathroom. The fireplace made a loud hissing noise the whole time it was turned on, which ended up being about one minute because I couldn't stand the noise.

In the end, maybe I should have asked them to change my room for one of the rooms they say they've "updated"...

Room Tip: Just because it's a suite doesn't mean you'll get a window....
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple