“The Staff is Awesome”

Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“The Staff is Awesome”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We booked a block of rooms for our wedding guests for the weekend of June 22, 2013. Rooms were booked and paid for about 6 months prior. All of our guest rooms were supposed to be as close as possible, on the same floor if possible. A week before the wedding, they sent us a list of which guests were assigned to which rooms and noticed they had some of our party on a different floor. No big deal. We personally requested room 218 (it's an amazing room) and that's the room we were assigned on the list, so we overlooked the fact that the party was broken up on two floors. At check-in however, we were informed that they bumped us from 218 because some other guests needed it. ????? Why weren't the other guests given a different room seeing as we booked THIS one half a year ago? They offered to put us in a different room and then move us to 218 the next day. At that point, what could we do? At check-in, we also discovered that the list they'd sent was even more inaccurate, the party wasn't just on two different floors, they were in three different buildings. My husband and I were in the main building, my 13 year old son in the building up the street on the corner of Vendue and E. Bay (he also had to switch rooms, he was initially on the third floor), and the Best Man (who was actually a woman in this case) was put in the building across the street. They'd done all this shuffling without letting us know, which meant we couldn't inform our guests in advance and they were working off of old room numbers as well when they checked in, causing confusion. It was very disappointing.

Other than that, which I believe was probably a one-time screw up that someone didn't handle very well - I absolutely adore this hotel. We put a lot of care (and money) into choosing a vintage boutique style hotel for our wedding party, to get the "Charleston Experience", and as far as I know, outside of the room situation everyone loved their time there. The valet staff is AMAZING. They work hard, are always pleasant, and I'm pretty sure my Aunt wanted to take one of them home with her, she was prefacing his name with "My" whenever she had to call for her car.

They comped breakfast for all of our guests, even though apparently the policy changed between the time that we booked the block and the wedding weekend. We appreciated them honoring the complimentary breakfast that used to be included with the rooms. My matron of honor had a beautiful suite (in the building on the corner) with a window that overlooked the passers-by on E. Bay. (bathrooms in those suites are gorgeous). I've come to feel like The Vendue is my Charleston home away from home. We'll definitely go back, and we'll definitely book 218. It's ours! ;)

Room Tip: Each room has it's own personality, which is why we have a favorite. Ask for a room that overloo...
1 Thank Carolina Q
jkerwin, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
It was such a pleasure to be part of your wedding weekend and thank you for your understanding with the availability of a requested room. We always strive to honor these special requests but we never guarantee these items due to the unforeseen circumstances that can occur.

We wish you a life of joy together and hope to see you on your first anniversary and each one afterwards.

Jerry Kerwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Indiana
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were fortunate to find the Vendue Inn with its unique buildings and rooms
All the staff from Parking Attendants, Front Desk & Restaurant where there for our every need
They became aware of our likes and idiosyncrasies, thus anticipated many things
The Library Restaurant was a very enjoyable evening for us after our drive to Charleston
Do miss the late afternoon snacks and evening Cookies / Milk
Ideal location to tour Charleston
Definitely would stay here again

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our first trip to Charleston and we lucked out with the Vendue Inn! We reserearched quite a bit before choosing this hotel. Location can't be beat, complimentary wine at 4pm, complimentary cookies at 9:30pm and a tremendous staff. The rooftop is nice, but not terribly exciting. They accomodated our concern about the elevator noise next to our room by upgrading our room (that's service); the rooms can be very differnt and some are much nicer than others; NONE are bad rooms!!! The rooms are very accomodating; you are hopefully there to see the city and not sit in a hotel room. Good coffee, lunch, deserts, brewery, top notch restaurant and an ATM are ALL within 100 yards. King street is well worth the walk!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Vendue Inn twice, and each trip has been wonderful. The employees were very warm and welcoming upon arrival, greeting my wife and I at the curb and greeting us by name. They were prompt, quick to explain the check-in process and considerate of our bags as we were escorted to the room. The hotel rooms are so inviting with antiquated charm and comfort while having updated fixtures. The room services were especially friendly and willing to help at a moment's notice. The concierge service was very helpful, as well. We were shocked to received complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, granted it was our honeymoon. The location is perfect - adjacent to the waterfront while being snuggled along Bay Street and a short distance to King Street. The hotel is perfect and the service was also fantastic. We look forward to sharing more special memories at the Vendue Inn.

Room Tip: Enjoy the manager's complimentary wine and cheese at 4 PM and fresh cookies and milk at 9 PM eve...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe B
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked a Jr Suite for $450 (excluding taxes) and I can tell you that it was worth $200. The room was pretty average / quite standard size. The amenities were zero.. cheap soap, shampoo, body lotion, no Qtips, no cotton, old style wall hairdryer....etc.. You would think that a hotel like this would have slippers. No, I called and complained and they said they only had them for sale.. ARE YOU KIDDING?...for $500/night, I had to buy slippers??. (they eventually got me a pair the next day). No full length mirror, no shade on the window ( only blinds) where I was awake at sunrise. Also, the my lovely Jr Suite was right over the delivery alley!!!!! I do say that the staff was very very nice and it is not their fault that the management wants to rip guests off. The location is great but honestly, I can not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Trish H
jkerwin, Guest Relations Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Once again, as a manager of the Inn I am disappointed to learn that your visit with us did not dovetail with your expectations.

Per our earlier conversations, I am still pleased that you agreed our entire team is fully committed to providing excellent service and an enhanced guest experience.

While we did our best to respond to your multiple concerns while you were here with us, I do very much regret that you believed these efforts were insufficient. I still wish that you had accepted our offer to move to a newly remodeled room to experience the updates that we are currently making to continually improve our historic property.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We appreciate all comments from our guests, critical or laudatory, and use them in hopes to better future guest experiences.

Nicole Turner
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this boutique hotel. We spent 5 nights here and from day one we were made to feel special starting with an unsolicited room upgrade to a superior king suite. It was a beautiful roomy space with the feel of a high end b & b. Down and feather filled pillows, comforter and mattress topper made it tempting just to stay in bed all day! Some of the best service we have ever had at a hotel and we have stayed at many. The warm cookies and milk were a great little treat at the end of the evening.

The concierge called the week prior to our stay to make our restaurant reservations which was a good move as we were there over the 4th of July, a very busy week. Magnolias is a must, the Library restaurant at the hotel was a pleasant surprise with unique and creative blend of flavors but skip the Cypress restaurant- over priced and underwhelming. Check out the roof top deck of the hotel.

As for the location, the hotel can't be beat, just off the water with a beautiful waterfront park and large new pier and tucked around the corner off the main avenue of restaurants and shops. I was worried about the noise but it was not a problem at all and we were on the second floor. bring good walking shoes as the historic downtown is filled with amazing historic homes - beautiful , safe and fun city to walk through.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anne c
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

What can i say, this hotel was amazing from the moment we walked through the door until the moment we left.

We had two rooms, both individually furnished to the up most-quality. Our bed was so plush, there were steps either side so we could climb up into it.

The staff could not do enough to help us or make was feel welcome. I can't wait to stay here again!