“love the city, love this hotel”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #15 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Saint Louis, Missouri
“love the city, love this hotel”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel is perfectly situated on the river in Charleston. The service is great and the rooms are very comfortable. They have a restaurant/bar located on the top floor of the main building that offers great views of the city. It is within walking distance of just about everywhere. The cookies they put out at night are amazing too! I have nothing bad to say about this place. It is wonderful!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eeka04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Oakland, NJ
Reviewed May 25, 2012

This was my second trip to Charleston and I recommend the city for a short stay 2-3 nights unless you are a history buff then you may want to stay longer. To me the Vendue Inn was the perfect place. The city pretty much closes down at 6:00 except for the chain stores, bars and restaurants. The Vendue being in the French Quarter has the idea location for a great many dinning choices all within a few blocks. My room was immaculate, well appointed, and the staff was helpful, and friendly. You get a B+B feel but not the tired rooms or property that many B+B's have. The Vendue is classy, clean, with all modern appointments, terrific rooms and a wonderful staff. I stayed across the street from the main building in a King room and would recommend the same to anyone. They provide at no charge bikes to ride around the city taking my time I made the loop in about an hour ( the city is very small) I did my ride at 7AM and had no traffic problems.

1 Thank luxie07c
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I visited Charleston last summer and I never had time to write a review on our great experience at the Vendue Inn. While researching our trip to Savannah and getting great information from other travelers I decided to write a quick note.
We were awed by the property which was located in walking distance to great restaurants- ((Inserting PLUG here- Must try HUSK-Amazing authentic low country cuisine, great ambiance! Eat outside if you can)!!
We had limited time in Charleston so we also were able to view the city on bikes provided by the Vendue (awesome perk) and the bell hops were always happy to recommend spots to see and things to do! We especially enjoyed seeing the Victorian style homes and beautiful scenery Charleston has to offer. We were sorry we only stayed one night however the city, the service at the Vendue and the experience left a lasting impression on us. We are from NYC where accommodations and dining experiences are unmatched. However we found amazing service and superior food in this Southern Jewel.
The Vendue also had a great rooftop bar located next door. Great lunch spot and amazing MOJITOS!
Rooms were carefully appointed (in love with the wallpaper and overall layout). Southern hospitality in the afternoon for drinks, and warm chocolate chip cookies and milk served in the lobby at night!

Room Tip: We chose to stay upstairs, the lobby can get rather noisy in the evening although we didn't care...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We just got back from our vacation to Charleston. We chose to stay at the Vendue Inn based on other reviews and the great ammenities included with the reservation. The location is great. It is within walking distance to all the attractions in Charleston. Our room was small but quaint and historic. We were expecting this in historic Charleston anyway. The service at check-in was great. The breakfast was amazing and that alone is definitely worth a stay at the hotel. They also offer a complimentary managers' reception every afternoon with wine and snacks. The have cookies and milk at night time which were also delicious. We self-parked our rental car in the garage that they pointed us to for $14/day. Valet was $18/day. The Rooftop Bar was nice with great views at night. The only negative part to our stay was that they were doing construction for renovations in the wing next to our room. The noise was distracting and kept us from being able to sleep in or take a small nap in the afternoon. We mentioned this to the hotel staff but they just apologized. The concierge was great and helped us to book a private carriage tour around Charleston. Despite the construction, we would stay here again or recommend it to someone else as long as they weren't doing construction anymore.

1 Thank Kristy W
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I'll start with the positives - the location of this hotel cannot be beat. You are walking distance to all kinds of good restaurants and shouting distance from the water. The staff were friendly except for the man who checked us in. We booked our hotel room online through a popular website and he argued with me that breakfast wasn't included for the price we paid. After a brief argument the staff agreed to let us have the breakfast. And was it ever wonderful! their breakfast is delicious - we had peaches and cream french toast one morning and bananas foster french toast the other. The service is good and the quality of the food is excellent. Also, I highly recommend using the complimentary bikes to explore Charleston. They give you a lock to take with you so you can lock up your bikes and go into restaurants or bars. It was a great thing to have! Now for the negatives - the hotel rooms are very small and cramped. Our queen sized bed was too soft and fluffy. Also, the room wasn't very clean and we even found a cockroach in our room! Keep in mind this is a boutique hotel and very old - but the bathroom was dirty and extremely dated. And not even dated with antique furniture - the tub was very small and the shower was poor and had no scald guard. For the money we spent we could have stayed at much better hotels in Charleston that are not in as good of a location. I don't think this hotel is worth what they charge for a Traditional Queen Room like we had.

2 Thank mpc0580
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Wasn't expecting much when I booked a room here for $159/night. Had a bad experience with the guy on the phone, he was supposed to call me back, took two hours, blah blah blah. Ended up using hotels.com, cutting out the employee, and getting the best price available for a traditional queen room, $30/night less than what the employee was quoting me.

End up getting to the room, and what a surprise. Everything screamed of personal touches. Good bath products, nice bathrooms, comfortable beds and pillows, flat screen TV, great AC unit. Comfortable and quaint.

Long story short, my new favorite hotel in Charleston. I'd stay here over the Charleston Place any day of the week.

Room Tip: Use hotels.com. Don't bother asking about AAA discounts...the room rate was $159.00, and when I...
1 Thank Ben P
Tennessee
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This was my second time to the Venue Inn, and it was even more amazing than I remembered! My first trip was in December for a business meeting. It was nice, the food was wonderful, and you can't beat the location! Walking distance to amazing restaurants and close to the water where you can walk down to Battery Park. My recent stay was in April for our anniversary. We stayed in a clean and romantic room and the hospitality was top notch! Mark was extremely helpful during our entire stay. We enjoyed the daily breakfast, but make sure you verify breakfast is included when making your reservation. We overheard others had an issue. The little "extras" the Vendue provides make you feel at home. From afternoon wine offerings, to the use of free bicycles , to milk and cookies at night. Each room of the hotel is unique and the beds are so comfortable, it's like falling into a cloud! I do have to warn you on the cost of parking. We had a rental car and the cost to park was $18 per day. The hotel offers outstanding customer service and we were given excellent restaurant recommendations! There is also a neat rooftop bar that has good drinks and nice views of the city. Overall our stay was amazing at this charming historic inn. If you are seeking a romantic or relaxing stay, I highly recommend the Vendue Inn. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple