“sherry and great location”
Review of Lodge Alley Inn

Lodge Alley Inn
Ranked #41 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
saint augustine , fla
Reviewed July 11, 2005

My wife and I stayed July 1 thru 8 2005 and we had a great visit to Charleston .We were welcomed by a very friendly staff that really helped us all week long. First ,I must say that the timeshare sales people were all over not just in the hotel but in the streets pushing this property. They were only trying to make a living and were not the aggressive types some of us are accustomed to. We had a studio room facing the courtyard with a queen bed , living room, med. size bath, sm refrig and microwave. If you have never been to this beautiful and historic city you will be pleasantly surprised ! We have gone to New Orleans for years and promised to each other never to return after last years visit ( truely a dirty and dangerous place to visit ). If restaurants , sightseeing ,and history interest you then this hotel will fit your needs as it is in the center of it all. The hotel has valet service and a great restaurant called the High Cotton on the property with a jazz bar also daily in the study at 4 pm sharp until 5 pm the hotel serves fresh cookies and sherry which we both got hooked on .It gave us a chance to meet other guests and exchange stories. In closing, as the great general said in the Phillipines " I shall return "---

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 18, 2005

My family just returned from a week stay at LAI. Admittedly, I was very anxious after having read some ugly reviews. Our room was beautiful and spacious. Yes the street view afforded us some unwanted noise at bar/pub "closin' time". But you're in the middle of the city - a plus in my book! everything was within walking distance - the market, the shops, the water... Treat yourself and spend a week at the LAI.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank zwischen
Reviewed June 5, 2005

I went to the Lodge Alley Inn for Memorial day weekend so lodging was scarse. After reading the reviews I nearly canceled my trip but I was glad I did not. Every review that I read carries some truth. It is a timeshare property so there are salespeople selling from early in the morning until late at night in the cortyard. If you let them know you are not interested, they will leave you alone. It is extremely important to get an inside/courtyard room as the outside rooms on the street would be very loud. The valet service is slow unless you call ahead and tip well. We did both and my car was ready and waiting every time I needed it. Our room was great. It was a loft and we really enjoyed it. When you reserve your room just make sure you avoid all of the negatives and request all the positives.

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank LanierBoatSales
Reviewed May 3, 2005

I love the fact that this hotel is right in the middle of things. We were within easy walking distance of almost everything that we wanted to see. In the evening, we'd walk 2 blocks down to the Waterfront Park, catch the breeze off the water and watch the dolphins.

The rooms were very spacious. Nothing like being "squoze" into your normal hotel room. We had a loft bedroom and the kids slept on the sleeper sofa downstairs. There were lovely high vaulting ceilings, full dining room table, living room where the kids could watch movies in the evening on the VCR provided. My partner could put his computer in the corner of the room and work without taking over the only desk space (like a normal hotel.)

The hotel was also near the bus lines so we could take that down to the Aquarium and Fort Sumpter tours. We put our car in the valet parking and didn't have to get it back out again for our week long stay.

It's a shame they don't serve some kind of complimentary breakfast, but that's about the worst I can say about the place.

• Stayed: June 2004
4  Thank JewelGatherer
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed April 11, 2005

In March a group of us girls decided to stay in Charleston for a weekend we would not want to forget. We thought a bachelorette party is something you want to have fond memories of. We were surprised when the beginning of the weekend started out with our rooms being changed from 2 together to 2 on different floors no where near each other. As the weekend continued, we ended up spending our entire Saturday night in the hospital with 4 of our girls getting Carbon Monoxide poisoning from the hotel room. We were not and still are not mad that this freak accident happend but the way we were treated was inexcuseable. The security guard, front desk, and maitenience staff were all very rude and condescending to us with bad attitudes and accusations as if we had done it to ourselves. It took almost 3 hours to get our cars out of valet parking, across the street, so that we could go to the hospital. About 1:30 in the morning, the doctor finally came to confirm that it was Carbon Monoxide poisoning while also receommending us never to go back to that hotel and if we needed an attourney to let him know. It has now been 1 month since the accident/horrible weekend and we still have yet to be contacted by the hotel or Bluegreen Vacation Rentals for hospital bills to be compensated. I would never stay at that hotel again including never staying at any Bluegreen vacation rental places again. The staff was rude and they have not been responsible for things that happened at their vacation hotels.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
columbia, SC
Reviewed April 10, 2005

I recently stayed at the LAI on March 11, 2005 for a bachelorette weekend. What we thought would be a wonderful weekend turned out to be a HORRIBLE one and one we will never forget!! There were 12 of us...young, responsible women in Charleston planning to have a fun-filled weekend. Well, to make a long story short, four of us ended up at the hospital with Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Yes, this incident was very unusual, but I was appalled at how the STAFF members treated us. They completely dismissed us and had the audacity to imply that what had happened was caused by something we had done!!! The staff members treated us like children! Luckily, the paramedics were prompt and were able to treat everyone as needed. I would hate to think what would have happened if we had gone to sleep for the night!

Needless to say, none of the four of us have been contacted by or spoken with anyone from the Lodge Alley Inn. It's as if this incident never happened and they aren't the least bit concerned! Surprise, surprise!

One more comment...You would think that in such a pricey hotel, there would be carbon monoxided detectors installed in every room!!! Well, that's definitely not the case. So, please think twice before spending any time at the Lodge Alley Inn.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed April 8, 2005

I recently stayed at the Lodge Alley Inn for a bachelorettle party weekend. We thought we were in for a fun-filled weekend, but boy were we wrong. First the hotel messed up our reservations and our party was split into two seperate rooms, not even next to each other. Saturday night four of our girls ended up sick with Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Freak accident, yes, but what really upset us was the way we were treated by the hotel staff. Everyone (security guard, front desk personnel, maintanence) were all very rude to us. They treated us like we were over-reacting and then even tried to tell us that we must have brought something with us to make the girls sick. Boy were they kissing our behinds when we returned from the hospital with a confirmed Carbon Monoxide diagnosis! They have refunded our hotel expenses, but none of the girls who went to the hospital have been able to speak with someone at the hotel about them paying the medical bills (which they offered to do). It was a memorable weekend but not with good memories. I will never stay at the Lodge Alley Inn again!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member