“great location and price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kings Courtyard Inn

Kings Courtyard Inn
Ranked #32 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Atlanta, Georgia
“great location and price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

great staff, and pretty good rooms- we had one overlooking king street with a gas fireplace and big windows. nice bed and bathroom. park the car in the back- daily rate, and walk to everything. room service, and wine and cheese in the afternoon.

Room Tip: overlooking king street. some rooms have fireplaces
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BILLandDD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This spot is great to allow you to walk all over historic Charleston, whether for dining, shopping, catching a carriage ride or whatever. We had a king room on the first floor, four-poster bed, nice reproduction mahogany furniture. Some noise as we were right by the back door, but nothing too disturbing. Bathroom was small and simple, but clean and comfortable. The desk staff is very helpful with ideas of places to eat and things to do. We opted to have the continental breakfasts delivered to our room. My husband was happy with his cereal, fruit, juice, tea and breads. I added eggs for a very reasonable additional charge. The happy hour from 5-6 with free wine, cheese and crackers was not well attended in off season, but was very nice. The first night we met another couple there and wound up having dinner with them later. The free sherry in the evenings is a lovely extra touch to help you wind down after a day of sightseeing! Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Unless you enjoy the sound of running water, try to get a room that doesn't have windows into th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I thank you for such a wonderful review of your stay at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am thrilled that you had such an enjoyable time and took advantage of our location and complimentary extras like breakfast, wine and cheese. We hope your new year is off to a great start and hope to host you again soon.

SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed over the weekend. Very nice hotel. We had a king room on the first floor. Nice room (typical 1st floor noise).

The location is great, only about a block from the intersection of Market Street and Meeting Street and the front door opens onto King Street.

The other couple with us had made a mistake on booking, but the front desk quickly resolved the issue.

They offer breakfast and an afternoon wine gathering. We didn't make it to either (had other plans). Maybe next time we'll check them out.

We'll definitely consider this hotel again when staying in Charleston.

Room Tip: There can be late night street noise and early morning guest noise with a room on the first floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

LOVED this hotel! My friend and I had a double room, it was spacious, clean, nicely furnished, and had a working fireplace.(!) A really charming room. Our friends had a king room, it was just as nice as ours. We enjoyed the wine and cheese hour, and the complimentary breakfast. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Not just polite, but actually very friendly. The location is perfect. I'm only sorry the weather was bad, we would have spent time in the lovely courtyard. I would definitely recommend Kings Courtyard, and will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debra
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review about your stay at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am thrilled to read that our accommodations suited both you and your traveling companion so well. I'm sorry to hear that the weather was not in your favor, but am glad that you had a wonderful trip nonetheless. Thank you for your kind note about our staff. They are a wonderful team that I am very proud of. We look forward to hosting you again.

Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our family spent Thanksgiving in Charleston this year and stayed at the Kings Courtyard. It suited our needs perfectly. The rooms were a nice size, especially for an historic hotel, and beautifully appointed with reproduction furniture in keeping with Charleston's ambiance. The location could not be beat, right in the middle of the historic district. I had been concerned about noise, but the hotel is recessed between Kings and Meeting Street and was blissfully quiet. We enjoyed the complimentary wine and cheese and the evening sherry, as well as the free continental breakfast. Hot items are available, at an extra but fair charge. The concierge staff was extremely helpful, making multiple calls to secure us a spot on a walking tour. It was a bit chilly for us to enjoy the courtyards, but we did appreciate their ambiance and sound of the fountains whenever we passed through. We will definitely be back the next time we are in Charleston.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms on the courtyard don't get a lot of sunlight. Do not be afraid to take a r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NCNummi3
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for such an outstanding review. I am thrilled that your family enjoyed such a memorable Thanksgiving here at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that our accommodations suited the group so well. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our complimentary extras and enjoyed our central location. We hope to see you all back in Charleston soon. Thank you for the recommendation.

Holly Springs, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the cozy charm this property exhibited. I went with friends for a "girls weekend" and we shared a 2 bedroom suite that was perfect for our needs. The complementary breakfast was a nice touch and the outdoor courtyards were great for the afternoon wine and light appetizer reception. It is centrally located and the staff was very helpful and pleasant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your recommendation of the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that our hotel served as an excellent destination for your girls' weekend trip. Our guests find that suites provide a comfortable and convenient space for group travel. We appreciate your wonderful review and certainly look forward to hosting you again. We hope that a girls weekend here at the Inn will become a new tradition in years to come.

Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Over Thanksgiving, my husband, dog and I drove to Florida to visit family. It was our first trip with the dog and our first experience with "dog friendly" hotels. Our experience ran the gamut from welcoming to tolerant. The Kings Courtyard Inn is tolerant.
The hotel's location is great -- right in the center of the action. There is a parking lot adjacent to the hotel.
When I called to make the reservation and to check that they did indeed welcome dogs, I spoke with a woman named Lisa -- she was lovely and based on my conversation with her, we were excited for our stay.
I would say that's where our positive experience ended. Some of it based on our timing and some of it based on staff and the room.
Upon checking in, I felt less than welcomed, I felt like an imposition. The gentleman at the front desk allowed another woman to jump in front of me with a question while I waited to check in. He seemed annoyed by both me and our dog. When I spoke with Lisa she indicated there would be a list of dog friendly restaurants waiting for us -- there wasn't. After some pressing, the gentleman came up with a couple of suggestions one was Bubba Gumps.
Our room was 402 -- it was off the courtyard, worn and dark -- the windows faced an alley. I understand that it's what you get when you travel with a dog. The head board was loose, the in-room fridge dirty and unstable -- like the one I had in college. I wanted to open the window, but neither had a screen. When your window is street level and opens to an alley, you want SOME protection.
They offer a little social hour from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. -- we missed it, they were serving their last guests as we walked in about 6:15 p.m and even though the wine and the glasses were out -- it was too late.
There is no restaurant or room service -- we got carry out at Toast a little restaurant around the corner. They were very nice and the food was good -- we ate in our room.
We left early the next morning. There was coffee in the lobby, which was nice, but the guy at the front desk barely noticed us at check out.
It was too expensive for the experience. Maybe other rooms are nicer, maybe other guests feel more welcome, but if you're traveling with a pet -- I would not consider this an option. Based on our experience, I would not return, even without a pet.

Room Tip: The rooms off the courtyard are dark and the windows open to an alley.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank kaj2600
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed our downtown location. We take each TripAdvisor comment very seriously, so I am sorry to read about your negative experiences. I can assure you that we treat all guests with the same care and respect- whether they are traveling with or without a pet. Although we do not have a restaurant on site, we do have a breakfast room and also offer room service during morning hours. I’m sorry that you were not aware of this complimentary service. We appreciate your feedback and have spoken to the gentleman mentioned in your comment. We constantly strive to improve our guest experience and value your review.