“DAMN FINE”

Ranked #4 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“DAMN FINE”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The rooms are exceptional, John Rutledge signed the declaration of independence and George Washington visited. It is the only home of a signer where you can stay over night. The breakfast is great, you can take in your room, courtyard or ballroom. ambience is excellent. Complimentary sherry, port and brandy so you can't go wrong there. LOL
Staff are extremely polite and attentive. The back has a beautiful garden. The home itself is large, tall ceilings. Just a great place to stay. We stayed Monday, Tuesday and Wed and room rate was quite a bit lower than the weekends, Worth the savings. It is great. Nothing negative.

Room Tip: We stayed in main house mini suite. Mid week good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing such an outstanding review of the John Rutledge House Inn. I appreciate your wonderful notes about our staff, accommodations and unique amenities. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the historic element of the inn. We take great pride in our past and will celebrate the home's 250th "birthday" in 2013. I hope you return to enjoy some of the festivities we have planned.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am a SC native that lived/worked in Charleston for about 2 years, and recently returned on business and stayed at the John Rutledge. There is a lot of history tied to this place and there are lots of materials available on that and all the other countless historical things to do and see in town. The property is beautiful. I checked in and was greeted by the concierge (I really wish I could remember her name, she was so friendly and professional-Charisse maybe?), who made sure that I understood where to park, how to access my room, and literally everything else one would need to know to have a great stay. Parking is close to the hotel but you have to drive around the block to access by car, which can be a bit of a pain during rush hour traffic. The parking lot is gravel so getting my bags into the hotel was rather interesting...BUT the concierge DID offer to send a bellman to assist me...I was just too stubborn to take her up on her offer. I certainly took her up on this offer as I was checking out. When I called downstairs to ask that the bellman come help me with my bags...Maurice arrived literally immediately. He was cheerful and polite. So I suggest you accept assistance with your bags as you are coming and leaving. The room was clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable I'd ever slept in-I need to know what kind of mattress or mattress cover they use!

There is a complimentary happy hour where chocolate-covered strawberries, hummus (I think that's what it was), lovely little mini-sandwiches, and drinks like port and sherry were served. I took advantage of that, and while I was relaxing in the parlor where this all was, the innkeeper was kind enough to come up, introduce herself to me, and ask if there was anything else I needed. We chatted for a while and I told her I certainly plan to return. She made a point to find me and make sure I was content.

The hotel offers complimentary breakfast as well-and this is by NO means some continental breakfast. This is your grandmother's breakfast. I was able to choose between eggs and bacon and shrimp and grits. I chose the shrimp and grits and grapefruit juice. I had some other choices of additional things to add but chose not to. The menu was awesome. I was also able to choose the time frame (30 minute intervals) I wanted my food delivered and even WHERE I wanted my food delivered (in my room, in the parlor, or out in the courtyard). I chose to have my breakfast delivered in my room and Maurice brought it right on time.

The shower was comfortable. Nice television in the room. My room was in the Cooper carriage house. You might also want to request assistance with your bags if your room happens to be upstairs-which mine was. There is a mini fridge in the room and complimentary bottled water-no $7 per bottle like some of the other "fancy" hotels at which I've stayed.

I left for dinner with a friend before sundown, and when I returned the bed had been turned down and candies were left on the pillows, and the shades had been pulled. Excellence!

I really hated to leave this place. The only reason I did not stay longer was because there were no vacancies for the following night. This place really has a southern feel to it. I consider Charleston to be one of my homes, and I even felt like I'd taken a step back in time and was having a unique and awesome experience. I was really impressed. Can't stop talking about my stay. I was treated well and it was well worth the price.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Cooper carriage house and didn't hear a peep from anyone.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GypsySoulSC
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Sounds like you enjoyed a true experience in Southern hospitality here at the John Rutledge House Inn! Thank you for sharing such a thorough review of your stay. The historic element of the inn is truly unique to Charleston: we'll be celebrating our 250th birthday in 2013. That will be a perfect time for you to enjoy an extended stay. I enjoyed reading about your interactions with our staff and your high marks on our afternoon tea and breakfast service. Thank you again for your recommendation. We look forward to seeing you again. (Also, to answer your question about our beds, we have Tempur-Pedic mattresses.)

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the John Rutledge House Inn on our wedding night, and we were very disappointed. We planned to take pictures at the inn on our wedding day and received a voicemail the day before that we had to push back our photos for another couple that "were paying to take pictures there." We checked in late in the evening, and the check-in person thought it was funny to say that we lost our reservation because it was so late. The room was very disappointing. We have stayed at several inns and have usually been impressed with how well they are maintained. Our room had very beat up furniture and had water spots on the ceiling. The decorations were very dated and looked like they were from the early nineties. We paid a significant amount of money to stay at this inn for our wedding night and could not have been more disappointed.

4 Thank Jacqueline B
Jacqueline: My most sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction during your recent stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. There was certainly an error in our scheduling for your wedding photos, as we had made a double booking. I know that our Innkeeper called to notify you of the issue and called again to apologize for the incident. I too am sorry to read that you were not pleased with you room, but appreciate your feedback as we are constantly working to update the inn.

We are all so very sorry that you had an upsetting experience on your wedding night. I hope that you give the Inn another chance when choosing to spend a night downtown.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My entire team enjoyed our stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. From the moment we walked up the beautiful stairs and through the grand door, we experienced nothing but charm and hospitality. We were greeted with a welcoming smile by Kerri who helped with our arrival and room arrangements. The rooms are all so unique and each offer something a little different. The veranda off the ballroom was a favoriate place to enjoy afternoon tea while watching folks pass by on Broad Street. Breakfast was also delicious and prepared as requested and delivered ontime. Everyone on Staff was so accomodating and helpful.

Also, loved the location. It is located in the perfect "walkable" spot to enjoy all that historic Charleston has to offer.

If you are looking for a charming and inviting place to stay while in Charleston, I highly recommend the John Rutledge House Inn. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ana s
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Our team sincerely enjoyed hosting your group at the John Rutledge House Inn. Thank you for so many kind words about our staff. We all appreciate this wonderful review of your team's experience here and are glad y'all enjoyed the inn's fun and unique features. The timing of your visit could not have been better: fall is one of the best times to walk around Charleston and take everything in. We look forward to hosting your group again and appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

A friend of ours had suggested that if we ever return to Charleston we need to stay at John Rutledge House Inn. She was absolutely right! The entire staff were great. We stayed in one of the carriage houses. The room was spacious. The service was great. We loved having the option to have our breakfast in the courtyard every morning! The location was convenient. Once we parked the car, we rarely used it. Everything is within walking distance. We would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such an outstanding review of the John Rutledge House Inn. I'm thrilled that your overall experience was "incredible" and you enjoyed the space our carriage house accommodations offer. Early fall is a perfect time to enjoy breakfast service in our courtyard and explore downtown by foot. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to hosting you again.

Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and i stayed two nights this past weekend at the John Rutledge House Inn. Our room was in the carriage house, first floor. Lovely room, good room service at breakfast, but the noise from upstairs at 2:30 a.m. was not so good. They need some soundproofing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for spending your weekend in Charleston with us. The carriage house accommodations behind our main house are a nice, secluded place to stay. I'm glad to read that you had a very enjoyable stay and took advantage of our in-room breakfast service. Our apologies that you were awakened by noise one evening. We hope to host your next trip to town.

nyc
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Coming into the Charleston area for a family reunion one day early and wanted to be in town for the art galleries for a day before. This was a great choice. Had a fun welcome from Elizabeth who could not have nicer. The entire staff is warm, welcoming, helpful an accommodating. The Inn is fabulous and our rooms were very comfortable. We had rooms in one of the carriage houses in the back which did have any view but were very quiet. Breakfast was also wonderful. We are looking forward to our next stay here.

Room Tip: The carriage house rooms are very quiet if that's what you want. The rooms in the Inn are speci...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
We're thrilled that you decided to start your trip to Charleston early at the John Rutledge House Inn. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for noting the unique character of the carriage house accommodations. Our location is excellent for enjoying the art galleries on Broad Street, so I'm glad that agree - the John Rutledge House Inn is a "great choice." We look forward to hosting you on future trips to Charleston. Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor