“A wonderful first stop on our Honeymoon!”

The Elliott House Inn
Ranked #33 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“A wonderful first stop on our Honeymoon!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Elliott House Inn is a wonderful, quaint & quiet hotel. My husband & I loved the central location in Charleston. They are right next door to excellent restaurants and a block away from the restaurant where I had the best breakfast in my life! We were able to park our car in the parking garage across the street and never had to use it until we left. We were able to walk everywhere in Historic Charleston!

They have a lovely courtyard with palmetto trees and beautiful plantings. We enjoyed a glass of wine in the courtyard in the afternoon while waiting for a table at one of the nearby restaurants.

The room we stayed in was on the second floor off the courtyard and was very nice and had a very homey feel, and the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept on! My husband has back troubles, and this is the first mattress we have slept on that we could agree on!

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We wished we could have stayed in Charleston (and at the Elliott House Inn) longer, but if we go back to Charleston, we will definitely be back!

The only drawback was that I wished we had a small fridge to chill our wine and keep snacks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about The Elliott House Inn. I’m so glad that the staff was able help you on your special occasion. The Elliott House is perfect for any type of event, because you are able to relax in our magnificent courtyard. The mattresses are very comfortable and are specially made for the inn, right here in Charleston. Also as you mentioned, the location is perfect for everything from shopping to history. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Very lovely inn right in the heart of historical Charleston! It has that small, intimate feel to it-- really pretty courtyard in the center. The room we had was very nice-- beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The hotel serves a small wine/cheese hour in the evening and also a nice continental breakfast to either your room or in the courtyard. Great location - right next to three good restaurants, and a close walk to all the highlights in historical Charleston. Also, convenient parking directly across the street. Definitely would go back and highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our beautiful inn! With us being located just steps away from some of the best dining in east and a city rich in history, it doesn’t get much better! Come back soon, we’d love to have you.
Clarksville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Elliot House Inn has some good, some not so good and a some less than not so good characteristics.

First the good: Location. It is right next to everything and next door to 3 unbelievably fantastic restaurants. People. The staff were fantastic and always friendly and helpful. The Beds. Wonderful memory foam mattresses.

Second, the not so good. The rooms. Unless you book a suite your room will be small and without character. The rooms are square small boxes with a bathroom tacked into one corner and an unusable balcony facing a parking lot. It is furnished with what looks like reproduction antiques but even then the rooms are unappealing.

Third, the less than not so good. Breakfast. The continental breakfast is your choice of a small day old soggy muffin from Safeway, Honey nut cheerios, a hard boiled egg from a jar or a frozen wheat bagel (now toasted). I am not joking. You are given the choice of sitting on the floor of your room to eat it, or sit in the courtyard while the businesses next door deafen you with the noise of power washers, leaf blowers and delivery trucks. Most of the people when we were there left their breakfast trays untouched and went out to a restaurant for breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose a suite and go out for breakfast.
1 Thank David M
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I appreciate your candid review of our property. While I’m pleased to see that the staff and location met your expectations, I’m saddened to see the rooms and breakfast did not. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the overall guest experience and really appreciate the constructive criticism. While we may not be able to control the size of the rooms, we can certainly look at improvements with the breakfast, which is what we are currently doing. I encourage the author of this review to give us another try. I think you’ll like some of the changes coming down the pike.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful courtyard, flower boxes. Small pool. Property in an excellent location but sandwiched between two restaurants. It gives off a nice New Orleanesque vibe. The downside is that the view out of our window was of the kitchen door of a restaurant next door. A dehumidifier running in the room and two layers of window ensured that noise was not a issue at all. It's just that there was constant traffic morning noon and night so there was no privacy with the shades open. I also hate to report that I stepped on a cockroach in the room. Overall I don't feel like the experience matched the price we paid and I'd certainly stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us. I’m sorry to read your displeasure for the location of your room and view. Unfortunately, with our property being in the heart of downtown and being sandwiched between restaurants, it can make for louder than normal conditions. I’d love to have you back again. Perhaps think of coming during more economical times such as November, December and January, the city can be a bit quieter during those months.
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just got back from stay at Elliott House. I thought it was wonderful. Room was comfortable and breakfast in the courtyard quite romantic. Staff couldn't be nicer. Great location, staff was very knowledgeable of the area and things to do. Some rain there, but the staff had options for us to see. Next day, we took the bikes provided by the hotel to see Charleston the easy way. Walking distance to good restaurantsk. Very pleased with the whole trip.

Room Tip: Bikes were the easiest way to get around to see the whole city.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m so pleased to read that our staff was able to provide you with things to do in the city during the rain! Our location and close proximity to some of the best restaurants in Charleston is especially nice for our guests. Please come see us again soon. We’d love to welcome you back again.
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay. Nice rooms some with outdoor patio off rooms.beautiful court yard .Wine and cheese in the afternoon. Easy paid parking across the street. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. We will stay there next visit to Charleston. Easy walking to all the shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Recommend a second story room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Awesome news to read how much you enjoyed your stay! We’d love to have you back again. Please keep us in mind!!!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is probably the most "mixed" my feelings have been about a hotel after a recent stay. There are a lot of great things going for this property, but some negatives as well. First, the good:

-Great location. Truly in the heart of downtown - walk to everything. Between three excellent restaurants.
-Friendly staff. No complaints here - everyone that we encountered was friendly and helpful.
-Charming courtyard, with lots of flowers, outdoor seating and large hot tub. In fact, that hot tub is one of the unique features of this hotel that, combined with the location, would make this a good choice for a cold-weather visit.
- Clean. Enough said.

Not so good:
-Noise. The downside to being on the street, between two restaurants and with exterior corridors is the inevitable noise. Now, when I had the AC running, that helped block the sound, but without the AC you could really hear every sound from both restaurants.
-View. Ok, so I'm not going to stay in a hotel for a view, but this one is one of the worst I've had in Charleston since it looked at the restaurant's wall and trash and parking lot. Not pretty and not private at all.
-Humidity/air. I work in a residential building myself, so I know the issue with having AC running when outdoor air keeps getting in and out (especially under the door, which wasn't sealed at all). The air feels damp in the room.
-Value. This is what it comes down to. Now, we came at one of the busiest weekends in Charleston, so there were no deals to be had anywhere (and many places were booked). In the end, I was happy to get anything at all. But, that said, when comparing this property to the others we've stayed at in downtown Charleston, it doesn't match up in value due to the items listed above, plus the smaller room, dated bathroom, and limited, store-bought breakfast offerings.

My final assessment is that due to the location, staff, and hot tub, I would return, but only if the price was right when compared to other properties downtown.

1 Thank noahandallison
I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. I’m especially pleased to read how much the staff, location and cleanliness met your expectations. We try really hard to please everyone of our guests here and from reading this; it seems we were able to do so.

Regarding the location, view and value - you are correct; Charleston real estate is at a premium. It has forced many businesses to be quite close to one another. This impacts the noise and “views” that you may have expected, I’m really very sorry.

Come visit us again in the near future. Your business is very much appreciated!