“Great B & B”

The Elliott House Inn
Ranked #29 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Our room was beautiful; four poster bed, armoire, nice linens, big bathroom, and clean to perfection. The bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast delivered to your room. They also provide a wine and cheese hour in the early evening. The location is great as well. If you want to eat at Husk, a fantastic restaurant, it's right next door. And to park the car overnight in the garage across the street, only twenty dollars!
If possible, ask for a room away from the street. We were in room 27, right on the street, and it was noisy in the morning. Also, oddly enough, the towels were a bit scratchy.
We would stay at the Elliot House again the next time we visit Charleston.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Elliott House Inn. Room 27 like all the rooms at The Elliott House Inn, it is unique with its own individual characteristics. As you mentioned, we are located centrally between two wonderful restaurants, Husk and 82 Queen. The breakfast is a wonderful amenity, because it will not fill you up, but it will give you the energy you need to explore the “Holy City.” I’m glad that you espoused the idea of returning back to The Elliott House Inn, because we always enjoy seeing familiar faces.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed here for one night while passing through Charleston because I wanted my son to experience a Charleston ghost tour AND I got an incredible Trip Advisor rate of $99 a night! I couldn't believe that found this rate on line the night before we were to arrive but I was unable to book online. I did finally call and secured two rooms for the next night and I was thrilled to be right in the middle of everything on Queen St. After 8 hours of driving I was annoyed that there was no where to park or unload the car so I parked illegally on the street (behind someone else unloading) and went in the office to inquire about this. There were two girls in the office, both checking in another party, and both ignoring me. Neither even looked up to greet me, or offer that they would be with me shortly, just pretended I wasn't there. When I finally was graced with their attention, the 'greeting' was short and almost rude. I asked about unloading and was told I could 'pull in the courtyard' - right. I'm going to get my car into a 12 foot entrance with palm trees on either side right off the street without any assistance with on coming traffic. Sure. So we unloaded on the street - luckily I was with two teenagers who were able to stay with the luggage while I parked in the garage across the street. Our rooms were right in the front, King room on the street and Queen one behind it. The king room was furnished beautifully but I gave it to my boys as I didn't want the street noise. I took the Queen which was furnished nice but very bare in comparison. The bathrooms were be far the best part of the rooms. I assumed that because of the $99 rate these were most likely the worst rooms in the hotel but it was one night. Then there were the bugs - little gnats all over the room. Not just my room but my sons room as well. That evening I went into the office to make them aware that a screen door on the boys room was broken and that there were bugs in the rooms. This information was was met with 'we'll look into it after you leave' which left me feeling like I was a pretty insignificant guest. A spartan breakfast was included in the rate which was nice but only three selections and not much of anything. This is my second visit to Charleston and it is by far one of my favorite spots. Not only is it a beautiful city with lots to see and do but it is also one of the friendliest places I've ever been. Generally the service everywhere is just outstanding - except for Elliot House Inn. Had circumstances been different - a longer stay or a higher rate - I would not have stayed the night in a city where there are so many first class choices. They have potential to be really good but the staff needs friendly lessons and they need to get rid of the bugs!!

Room Tip: We had rooms 10 & 11 which were ground level on the street. Maybe the upper floors where better?
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank PBLorraine

First off, thank you for highlighting how much you enjoyed the beautiful decorations, which are in each of the rooms at the hotel. Each room is a little bit differently decorated, but all are representative of the Bellum-Victorian Period of Charleston History. The rooms may allude to a different time, but as you mentioned the bathrooms are beautiful and recently remodeled and renovated. I’m sorry, that you felt like you needed to unload from the street, because as you mentioned there is a little drive way where one can pull in to unload, which cars and trucks of all sizes have been able to fit, also we do have a bellman on staff that can help with your luggage, so you do not feel like you are left out on the street. Furthermore, I’m truly sorry that you did not feel as if you were greeted appropriately, I know without a doubt that was not the staffs’ intention. As you’ll read in other posts, we pride ourselves on our customer service and attentive details that our guest deserve, I’m sorry we fell short of meeting your expectations. It seems like you enjoyed much of what the city has to offer, and fortunately our location put you right in the middle of everything.

I'm sorry to hear of the gnats/bugs that seemed to occupy your room during your stay. We had an unusually warm winter, which is not common for Charleston. Because of the warmer temperatures, it didn't kill the nesting eggs of the gnats and palmetto bugs. In turn, we've had quite a time with our exterior corridor ground floor rooms experiencing these critters trying to enter the cool dry environment of your room. I'm so sorry for this. Please know that we are on a monthly preventative maintenance contract with our local exterminator to cut down on these types of situations as best as possible.

I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I definitely recommend the Elliott House Inn. It has the historic Charleston bed and breakfast charm, but not too stuffy. Also the staff was amazing! They answered any of our questions, from the best restaurants to the best historic sites to visit. They couldn't of been any nicer and informative. The wine and cheese hour and the complimentary breakfast is also a plus! It is perfectly located- right in the middle of everything charleston. The public parking deck is across the street, and does cost 20 bucks a day, so that is something to plan ahead for.
This is the type of place you will want to stay at, again and again. We loved it, and I'm pretty sure you will too!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Wow! Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay with us. Our location and staff make this property a fantastic choice for lodging in downtown Charleston. I’m so happy to read that you’ll be back to visit – we’d be happy to have you back and welcome you with open arms!!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night. We were originally put in room 10 which was right on the street and smelled like cleaning supplies. We then asked to be moved to another room and the staff was extremely accommodating and placed us in room 26 which was simply beautiful. I would definitely recommend this place to other people and the location is excellent in downtown Charleston. It is also next door to Husk and Poogan's Porch and both restaraunts were also wonderful.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the room that faces the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We appreciate you taking time to comment on your stay with us. It’s my understanding that we placed you in room 10 soon after our housekeeping team had finished servicing your room. I’m sorry the strong cleaning smell caused you to request another room; however I’m quite happy to read how much you enjoyed room 26! We are fortunate to be located on one of the best streets in downtown Charleston for culinary dining. Please come back and visit again soon. Charleston Restaurant Week is approaching soon with some fantastic deals!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed while going to the PGA. We had a king room that was very nice. Nice place to stay.

Our friend had a much smaller room but also like the hotel.

We would definitely recommend. Location is great.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing us as your lodging provider during the PGA tournament! We appreciate the kind words regarding the property. We take pride in our services and accommodations and am pleased to read that we seemed to meet your expectations. Please keep us in mind next time you visit Charleston!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Got a very good online deal this visit for weekday rates.. ($99 for a queen room). We splurged the extra few dollars for the king room which was a real treat. We had a ground level room with our own little terrace out our back door. Room was lovely and very clean, though... you could notice when the neighbors were there, I did not feel it was a bother. The only complaint we had....and we did let them know this needs to be changed is, the neighboring restaurant uses a leaf blower to clean their back patio during breakfast time in the Inn's courtyard. The high pitched noise of the machine each morning drove us back into our room to have peace and quiet. The last day we took our breakfast in our room and ate out on our private terrace and found the noise issue much quieter. The Elliott House is a great place to stay if you like walking around the historic areas and enjoy the many restaurants and shops. Parking gets a bit pricey (a parking garage conveniently located across the street) but then this is in any city where space is limited. It's manageable. Suggestions: The upgrade to King is worth it...you can ask if a room with the terrace is available. Take breakfast in your room IF the 'blower' is in use and look for online discounts. Our last two times gave us very good prices, even better than Days Inn down the street. We will stay there again the next time we visit Charleston.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our upgrade to king. Rooms are small but very nice. We had our own little terrace in ba...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank hiDM
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for your kind words about the Elliott House Inn. I’m glad that you found the property to be convenient to everything that you wanted to see and do. The private balconies or patios that some of the rooms provide, offer an inmate escape from the two wonderful restaurants next door. Also, everyone always has the option of eating inside the beautiful rooms. I’m glad you are looking forward to staying with us again.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at the Elliot House and paid for a king room. We checked in on Saturday afternoon and found that there is no hotel parking, but had to pay $20 per day for the garage across the street. Didn't have to walk far though. The location is great for shopping and It is surrounded with great restaurants. The king room was extremely small but very clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable but we were disappointed when we could clearly hear the room above us ie: footsteps, chairs being pulled out. The morning was very noisy due to leaf blowers and cleaning carts starting at 7am. The "pool" was actually a spa that was filled with leaves, dirt and debris... Not very inviting. Tue "continental breakfast" consisted of three choices of yogurt, cereal, or bagel. They forgot to bring the actual tea but brought the hot water etc. We had a great time in Charlesto, but I feel like we paid way too much for wha we ended up getting at the Eliot House.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

I’m glad that you enjoyed the perfect location of The Elliott House Inn and the cleanliness of your room. Parking is a premium in the city, and we are fortunate to have a covered lot across the street from us, which provides safe and secure parking. Whenever you book at the Elliott House Inn either through a third party or through the front desk, you should receive a confirmation email notifying you that the parking lot across the street is twenty dollars a day. If this information was not conveyed to you prior to arrival, I am deeply sorry. In regards to the constant moving of furniture in the room above you, always feel free to notify the staff, so we may help you resolve the issue. With us having wood floors, it tends carry noise more than your typical hotel room. We’ve taken measures to prevent this as much as possible by installing area rugs throughout all our guest rooms. I’m sorry that you were confused about The Elliott House Inn having a pool, as far as I am aware of every site our rooms are offered on has it listed as a Spa or Jacuzzi. This is the first we’ve heard of guests assuming it was a pool prior to arrival. Any help you could provide us on where you located that information would be helpful as we’d like to get that fixed to not confuse any potential future guests. Many of our guests enjoy our Jacuzzi because of its location in our verdant courtyard, but do to the heavy amounts of rain the Jacuzzi may not have been quite as picturesque as normal, and I’m sorry for this. I do truly hope that you try The Elliott House Inn again, and always remember that our staff is always available to help twenty four hours a day.