“adequate”

Barksdale House Inn
Ranked #11 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed here one night in late October. We stayed in the carriage house in the back. I believe the rooms in the main house are fancier and priced accordingly. We opted for the carriage house as it was a little cheaper. The room was large and we were able to move about without getting in one anothers way. The bathroom was also of a good size. There was a good size parking lot located between the two buildings. This beats having to pay for parking. The buffet breakfast was ample and satisfying. The Inn does lack the personal touch however. While the person who checked us in was friendly, she seemed not to be too well versed on the different local dinner locations. Some of the gals who worked on the cleaning staff and breakfast crew did not seem to be happy in their work. So, I would classify our experience as more of a hotel experience than that of a B&B. All in all we did have a pleasant stay and enjoyed all of what Charleston has to offer.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2010

The photos don't do justice. This is a charmer of a B & B. Was pleasantly surprised at the "niceness" of this place. The courtyard beckoned us to have our picnic lunch there. The "parlor" was a sweet place to share the sherry with old friends and met new ones. Service was very nice. Rooms very clean and comfortable. We had such terrific weather to walk from the B & B to all the places of interest we wanted to see. Such a sweet place. And, meeting "Julia Roberts" was a wonderful surprise......ha ha ha You'll know what I mean if you stay here. Just make sure you can go up three flights of stairs. Other than that, you really should try this delightful place. We'll definitely be back. Save us a room, ok?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Barksdale House in May for a long weekend. The place was quaint, and the staff was very hospitable. Our room was very clean, a nice size, and the bed was very comfortable.

The only complaint I have is that our breakfast did not arrive when we requested. It actually arrived half an hour early... before we were even awake! I thought that was a silly mistake, as there were not many guests staying in the house. I really don't like being woken by strangers.

I definitely recommend staying at the Barksdale House if you're in Charleston and would like to be close to everything downtown.

P.S. - They do have Wifi, but their signal is barely enough to connect to.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I liked the Barksdale House Inn. The rooms were clean, and they offered many rooms at different rates. My much more well-off friends were able to stay in larger room with a whirlpool bath, and my husband and I were able to have a cozy room within our price range.

The service is very hands-off. It had more of a hotel feel with regards to service, asking questions, etc. There was a different person at the front desk every time I went there; it wasn't the same feeling as a normal B&B, but everyone was helpful. They also made great recommendations for Low Country restaurants.

The breakfast was basic pastries, cut fruit, and dry cereal. I asked for butter for my bagel from one of the front desk people in the morning, and I could hear her complaining about me in the kitchen to the housekeeper, claiming that cream cheese should be good enough.

All in all, however, we had a great time, and we loved that B&B was within walking distance to everything we wanted to see.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was a splendid bed and breakfast from the word "go". My first visit to Charleston and I couldn't have lucked out more!!! When I read the website that said that they served you breakfast on a silver tray delivered to your room, well, how perfect is THAT?
I stayed in the carriage house in the back in Room 11. It was a very large room very nicely decorated. The silver tray for breakfast was my favorite.
The location was within walking distance of everything, yet it was on a very quiet, residential street and there was parking right in back - free!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the Barksdale House Inn in Charleston. It was a fine looking B&B & I was quite surprised at how large our room was (no. 11 in the Carriage House, bottom floor). The room was very nice, had great hardwood floors, & large shuttered windows (& none of that lacy chintzy stuff or ghastly floral wallpaper I saw in the pictures of other places). The back porch & courtyard area was very pretty & a great place for breakfast. Note: breakfast is very limited & is most often fruit & pastries & most of that gets gone if you're not up early to beat the other guests to it. They have a private parking lot--a plus in a big city. I would definitely stay here again (I thought $129.00 per night was an excellent rate for such a nice, big room!). The location between King St. & Meeting St. was a major bonus as well. One draw back: if you opt to stay in the carriage house, kiss the wireless good-bye.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bookstoregirl
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My husband and I were very pleased with the Barksdale Inn. It was charming, modern, free parking, great breakfast downstairs, and friendly service. We will definitely recommend this Inn to friends and family and hope to return to stay. The location is perfect and so is the price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple