“Pleasantly Surprised- Great for the $$$$!”

Barksdale House Inn
Ranked #10 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Pleasantly Surprised- Great for the $$$$!”
Reviewed July 18, 2005

My boyfriend and I just returned from a trip to South Carolina, spending one night in Charleston. It was the weekend of the Cooper Bridge opening, so I couldn't believe we got a room at the Barksdale for $80. I was skeptical, to say the least, after reading some reviews and comparing our price to the other hotels in the area. Sarah, who greeted us at the hotel, couldn't have been more professional or accomodating. She even let my boyfriend do his laundry in their machines for no charge! Our room (#8)was perfectly clean, charming, and well-furninshed. We enjoyed the complimentary sherry and iced tea on their patio, too! Upon leaving, I absent-mindedly left my jewelry in the room, and the maid chased after us with it it make sure I got it back. The breakfast was simple and continental, but who cares when there are so many great places to eat lunch and dinner in the city? This place is a great value- I highly reccomend it. (PS- we left our rental car in their lot free of charge. I don't know if this is their regualr policy, but in Charleston, this is a coup.)

2 Thank FrankieDoggie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Reviewed May 9, 2005

We stayed this past weekend. The location is great. It's 5 miles(approx) from Mt. Pleasant.Steps from Meeting St. That's the good part. We were never engaged in any conversation with the innkeepers on arrival, during our stay or departing. No Southern hospitality here folks.When you spend that much money on a B&B you want the experience of the South and it's history. We were disappointed .11 years I waited to take a vacation without my children and I wish I would have stayed right in town and went to Carowinds.At least in this part of the South , we know how to be hospitable!

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2005

We recently stayed at the Barksdale for two evenings. The Inn is in a good location and is in walking distance of most of the historic areas . We felt the breakfast was good and liked the option of having it in our room or on the back porch. The women who served breakfast were very nice but I can't say the same for the college girls that tended the check-in desk. When we first arrived we were not even greeted; she continued looking at her magazine until we announced our arrival. The same thing happened at check-out. No "thank you" or goodbye. They definitely need to have some more experienced people attending the front desk. The room was okay--the carpet had spotty stains on it and the bathroom fixtures were very old and rusty. The plank floors had wide spaces that needed a little vacuuming. There were no tissue or toiletries in the bathroom. The College of Charleston has a center across the street and we were able to hear loud talking into the wee hours of the morning. Overall, the inn was just o.k. There are much better b&b's available in Charleston.

1 Thank mommy22boys
Reviewed April 17, 2005

I read the recent cockroach review a few days before leaving for my trip to Charleston. Given that I prefer my accommodations to be insect-free, I would have changed my reservation to another inn had it not been so last minute. But my husband and I ended up spending three nights at Barksdale House and overall we had a nice stay.

We checked into Room 3 on the 2nd floor and I immediately did a roach inspection. The room did smell like pesticide, but I got used to the smell and forgot about it within sixty seconds and didn't see any bugs. The room was clean, although the bathroom walls and door needed a good scrubbing. The room and hotel are very nicely decorated with bold paint colors and antique furniture. There are old wood floors throughout, which are beautiful but also quite noisy and in need of repair in several places. I have stayed in many other inns with hundred-year-old wood floors that look perfect due to better upkeep. The firm mattress made my back happy, although the bedframe was unbelievably noisy.

As others have reported, breakfasts are tasty but quite small. Just don't plan on making it until lunch without eating. The option to have it delivered to your room is nice.

In general the accommodations were pleasant, but the details were surprisingly disappointing for such a highly recommended inn at this price range. Lighting in the bathroom was poor. The hardware (doorknobs, faucet, towel bars, etc.) dated from the 1970/80s, detracting from the historic atmosphere. No Kleenex were provided. I'm sure they would have given me a box had I asked, but should a person have to ask for tissues?! The towels were less than luxurious, and not enough were provided. Daily housekeeping consisted of replacing these towels and making the bed -- no vacuuming, not even new shampoo to replace the empty bottle in the shower. Although they may seem insignificant, details like these can make the difference between feeling pampered and being constantly reminded that you're far from the comforts of home.

Outside the room, the inn was great, with a cute back porch area with fountain for breakfast when the weather is warmer. The location was outstanding, just a half block from the shopping on King Street and a fifteen minute walk from the historic houses (with nice commercial architecture along the route, too).

Unfortunately my roach fears were realized on our last night, when I spotted a 2-inch critter in the sink. I spoke with the manager, Patti, the next morning and she was apologetic and polite. She explained that the inn has regular extermination services, as do all establishments in the area, and that despite one's best efforts cockroaches (or "palmetto bugs") do inevitably appear. It's not because the inn is dirty or run-down. As my husband and I drove around the state we saw more billboards for pest control than I've seen collectively in the rest of my life! Clearly this is just a part of life in this area.

So for those of you who are nervous about staying at Barksdale House because of bugs, your decision is not whether to stay at this inn, but whether to change your travel plans -- because apparently this is part of traveling to Charleston. If you can handle the possibility of seeing a roach in your room, Barksdale House is a fine option for accommodations. Don't expect to be pampered in the details, but you can look forward to a pleasant stay in a great part of Charleston.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ardmore, PA
Reviewed April 11, 2005

Just returned from a "Sisters' Weekend" in Charleston. We stayed at the Barksdale House and just loved it. Our room, #6, was huge by B&B standards and lovely. We peeked into some of the other rooms and they were just as beautiful. The parlor was equally as lovely. From the moment I made our online reservation, I knew I made the right choice. Patti answered each of my many emails promptly and if she didn't have an answer, she at least acknowledged that she received my email and would get back to me. She asked where we had dinner reservations and gave me a discount card for one the restaurants. She also supplied us with discount cards for the requisite carriage ride. The staff, mostly coeds, was attentive and courteous. As others have stated, the Inn is convenient to everything and a real bargain in Charleston. I would highly recommend the Barksdale House Inn to anyone. I can't wait to go back.

1 Thank I-Hawkeyes
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 11, 2005

For all the hype about this place, I figured it'd be a gem. No big bugs, but the room reeked of Glade Plug-Ins. Besides the morning server, who was a doll, the staff was ignorant and unhelpful. The "romantic" fireplace in our $195 room didn't work and the manager on duty had no clue how to fix it. The bathroom is about 3 feet by 3 feet. The armoir rattled when you walked across the room, so we had to prop a towel in it. Everytime a car went by the house, it would hit the loose manhole cover outside the window. If you stay here, don't splurge on the main floor rooms and try to get a room in the back of the house.
The second night we stayed up on the third floor for a less expensive price, which made it a better value. The location in the historic district was super. The breakfast consisted of a slice of a strawberry, a sliver of pineapple and cantaloupe, a roll, and juice. There are hair dryers and irons available in the kitchen if you need to borrow one.

2 Thank Heidi H
Reviewed April 1, 2005

The Barksdale House committed the ultimate hotel sin: they confused my reservation from being for not two but only one day, a problem that they also neglected to detect upon check in - the attendant then tossed a key at me and went back to a ringing telephone without having me 'initial' the days of my stay. I had made the reservation over the phone with a sweet young carolina girl, who also knew nothing of confirm numbers, or the like favored by the modern hotelliers of today. So she put me in their books for one, not two nights. On the busiest hotel weekend of the Charleston year.

The morning after this first evening I was then chastized by the nastiest inn manager ever encountered for having taken "too long" to check out - being that I had no idea they expected me to check out, I was next to shocked, and apologetic, given her force. Rather than gracefully responding to the confusion - because let's face it, mistakes happen - they approached me with all the delicacy of a female penitentiary attendant. Given also that it was the weekend of the Bridge Run, the fifth largest 10K in the world, the chances of finding another hotel room in the historic district were slim to none - and a real innskeeper would have gotten on the phone first thing to try to help anyone stranded, particularly one traveling to charleston for business, maybe even repeat business..

So I went upstairs to pack my things. And to shower. And nestled beside the tub drain, tipped over onto his back, arms waving in the air - was a three-inch long cockroach - or 'palmetto bug' as they refer to them in sc.

I then had put my clothes back on, return to the nasty lady in the lobby and request her overseing of the bug's removal so I could shower, pack, and vacate the room for some bridge runner from Kenya, and to get her out of whatever scrapes she might have gotten into with her manager.

All this is bad enough: lousy, lousy employees - two out of three were sweet, but completely unqualified. Bugs, yes bugs. But also, the place is threadbare, and from the other postings the inn's deterioration can be gradually tracked through the passage of time. It's close to hitting a rock bottom. My room smelled like bug spray (surprise, surprise..), the windows do not open. An ancient smoke detector has mellowed into a yellowest plastic. Inch-wide crumb filled gaps in the wood plank flooring..

Also, locals have not heard of this inn - I asked three work associates who have lived in sc for years- which to me is generally a very bad sign. I've found Charleston a difficult place to gauge which lodging is good and which is to be avoided - ask for help whenever you can. And do not, do NOT! stay at the Barksdale House Inn.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business