Barksdale House Inn
  • Pool
King Charles Inn(Charleston)
Indigo Inn(Charleston)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscarriage housethe main houseb bfree parkinggreat locationking streetgeorge streetwithin walking distancebed and breakfastthird floorfresh fruitcookiessome tlcon site parkingfour poster bedbreakfast was deliciousno elevator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My daughter and I really enjoyed the location of this B&B. That was the best part. As with others, we arrived 2 hours early and were told we had to wait to check in until 3pm. The room was only ok. The beds were fine but the lighting was very poor especially in the bathroom. The breakfast was about the same as you would find in any highway chain motel. Perhaps they have it on the veranda in the nice weather but I didn't expect it in the office or the hallway. I expected a nicer place for the price - or at least a nice breakfast. Breakfast is part of a Bed and Breakfast Inn. Next time - I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 10KarenD
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Barksdale Inn during October and without a doubt had the WORST experience we have EVER had at any B&B we have stayed in. We have been staying in B&B's for the last 15 years so this place has really gone out of it's way to make the WORST list. Things started out on the wrong foot immediately. Our flight was early and we were at the Inn at 12:30 and promptly informed by that check in was not before 3 pm (even though the room was ready). I had to introduce myself before I was greeted, not very welcoming. Room 4 was an adequate room and clean but my wife and I were staying there 6 days and the furniture while beautiful period pieces were totally impractical. No Chest of drawers, only an armoire of which one side was used for TV and pillow storage. We basically had to live out of suitcases on the floor for 6 days. Outside of our windows was a stairway/fire escape that led to a porch on 3rd floor. Anyone using stairs could look directly into our room and see in- even with the bamboo shades drawn. The breakfast was served buffet style in a room that was also their office. Cold buffet on weekdays,..... hot buffet on weekends. We had 2 choices of places to sit. One- in the room with the buffet, the entire time an employee in the room at the computer going over billing and reservations. Not conducive at all to comfort. I felt like the principle was watching my every move. The second choice was on the porch---1/2 of which was covered with re-cycling containers and other packages stored there. The cold buffet was adequate. The fruit was very fresh but frozen Eggo waffles were a bit tacky. The "HOT" breakfast was the same as the cold except the "HOT" part was watery grits, frozen sausage patties and dried out quiche YUCK !!! One positive was at least Lee Ann smiled, something that she could teach others to do. If the rating system were 10, I would give this place a minus 1

Room Tip: Do not get room 4 unless you want people looking in your windows
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

One of my general rules about hotels is: beware of anyplace that makes you pay for your entire stay at check-in, before you've seen the room. So I approached the Barksdale House with trepidation, but on balance this place was not bad at all. (I had Room #7.)

Here's what you get at the Barksdale House: an absolutely stellar location, steps away from King Street shopping and a short walk from the good restaurants on East Bay, and you get it at a good price. You also get old-school Charleston charm, with creaky hardwood floors, a four-poster bed, and a general vibe of tired but warm gentility which will likely come as a relief to anyone used to antiseptic and generic modern hotel accommodations. You also get free wifi—which, like most free hotel wifi, is more reliable during the daytime hours (when your competitors for bandwidth are out shopping on King Street) and less reliable in the evening (when they're back in their rooms watching Netflix—at which point, good luck even loading Facebook). And you get a nice table for a workspace and easy access to multiple electrical outlets (neither of which is dependably the case in most older Charleston hotels), as well as a continental breakfast in the morning, and wine/cheese/crackers in the late afternoon. I really liked the full-size drink glasses in the room (instead of little six-ounce plastic cups), and there's always a tin of home-baked cookies by the stairs after the staff leave in the evening—a very nice touch.

Here's what you don't get: a staff presence in the evening, an elevator, a closet (if your room is like mine, then you get a cramped armoir with lots of drawer space but very little room for hanging clothes), a large-screen TV, or a full-size ironing board (you get a little tabletop one tucked into the armoire, and be very careful taking your clothes down from the hangers because they're liable to pull the ironing board out so that it falls, very painfully, on your toes). You get an ice bucket, but you have to get your ice from a machine in the kitchen on the ground floor, and the kitchen is locked when the staff leave at about 8:00 pm.

Some reviewers have noted the low water pressure in the shower. They're not wrong, but as someone who has stayed in many different Charleston hotels over the years, I can tell you that this is a citywide problem, especially in older properties.

Other reviewers have noted this hotel's inexplicable practice of providing very few hangers in its armoires. In my case, I was provided with two—which, given that I had packed four days' worth of business attire, was nowhere near enough. Worse, when I called down to the desk (at 3:00 pm on a weekday) to request some more hangers, I got voicemail. (Voicemail?) But on my way out of the hotel a bit later I saw one of the employees and asked her for some more hangers, and she cheerfully agreed. When I returned from my run less than an hour later, four more hangers had been placed in the armoire.

Here's something a bit more interesting, though: when I turned on the shower after my run, a stream of water sprayed out of the button you depress in order to direct the water up to the shower head and it continued spraying my legs while I showered. This was annoying (and would have been more than annoying if I were shorter), and I mentioned it to that same employee when I left to go to dinner. She didn't exactly seem thrilled to hear about it, and two days later it still hadn't been fixed. So later I mentioned it to another employee, who also didn't seem terribly concerned. Her response was "Oh, so that's why there's a note here that says 'Tub in 7.'" So the takeaway is: if you report an actual problem with your room, don't expect it necessarily to generate a serious sense of urgency among the staff.

Speaking of the bathroom, it was small and inconveniently organized: bath towels were hung on a rack inside the tub, meaning you have to take them out and find a place for them when you shower – but there isn't really anyplace to put them except for a narrow shelf above the toilet, which is already full of other stuff. This wasn't a huge problem, but it was an annoyance.

Some reviewers have complained that you can hear the people above you through the ceiling. My room was on the top floor, so I can't comment on that specifically, but I can say that room 7 was very quiet at night and I had no trouble sleeping. I did notice that I could hear a lot of hall noise when people were there (there's about an inch of space between the floor and the bottom of the door), but people weren't there often, and generally things were nice and quiet.

Speaking of sleep: the mattress was very comfy. The linens were not bad at all. The pillows were not great: cheap foam slabs. The blankets were old-fashioned, 1970s-Holiday-Inn-type blankets rather than the comforter-and-duvet combination that is increasingly prevalent in modern hotels, but they were plenty warm. Overall, I'd rate the bed experience as average-to-good.

The air conditioning was central (not a window or wall unit), effective, and not too loud, and controlled by a thermostat on the wall. I did find that it rattled my door in the frame whenever it came on, so at bedtime I just stuck a sock between the door and the jamb and that worked fine.

All in all, I have to say that the Barksdale House Inn offers a very quirky blend of pros and cons, including the most schizophrenic service orientation I've ever experienced. I mean, they leave homemade cookies for you in case you get hungry at bedtime, but they can't be bothered to fix your malfunctioning shower plumbing? Crazy. On balance, I would definitely recommend the Barksdale House Inn and will probably return here the next time I'm in Charleston, assuming my toenail has grown back.

Room Tip: I was quite happy with room #7; however, it's a a third-floor walkup, so keep that in mind.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rick010
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our experience was not a good one. We arrived a little early, which is a no no there. Even though our room was ready we were not allowed to check in. I asked if we could at least let our cat stay in the room. Receptionist very rudely replied that she would allow us to park in the lot and we could leave our cat in the vehicle. When we were allowed to check in our sheets had not been changed from the previous guest. I know this because of all the HAIR in the bedding. The receptionist did change the sheets and apologized for the over sight. When I asked her about the blanket being changed as well, she asked why. I showed her what looked like make-up and she replied they are just stains. She would not change blanket. We wanted to get a refund at that time and was told no. The bathroom had only 1 towel and no soap. So again we had to ask the receptionist for extra towel, because there are two of us and some soap, she actually rolled her eyes Bottom line when customers are paying $300 a night ( because of pet) change your sheets, put soap in washroom and most importantly put a smile on your FACE !!! Very dirty place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The first item that attracted my attention was the free parking....in Charleston!!!! However the Barksdale House Inn has much, much more than just parking. It is located near all the prime spots in Charleston, it is very old (like Charleston) and it is in very good shape (just like Charleston!). We stayed in Room #3, which is a corner room with ample of light, and a comfortable bed. The owner is gradually improving upon the Inn, so a bit of paint and wallpaper could be touched up, but I suspect that is on the agenda.
The breakfasts are ample, and on the weekends, there is always a hot dish. We stayed for 2 nights and found the inn to be a great "period" place to stay.

Room Tip: The main house is the oldest part of the property, and quieter than the Carriage House.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple