“The worst Room ever”

Barksdale House Inn
Ranked #10 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I stay at B & B's all the time when we travel. This inn was by far the dirtiest place EVER!!! The room, # 12, in the carriage house had dust at least 1/2" thick on the dresser. The walls were scuffed, the rugs stained and the bathroom floor had half the (pink) tiles cracked. The toilet seat was broken, The closet was so disgusting I can't even describe it. The main house was not much better. The "breakfast" room was shared with the inn keeper and her computer. The nice orential rug had some god awful black stain on it. The tables were covered with plastic table clothes, give me a break how tacky....ok so on the only good side the place had free parking and was close enough to walk wherever you need to go..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob K

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I loved this B&B because it's within walking distance to most everything in the historic district and just a few minutes drive to the Citadel where my son is attending. The rooms were very comfortable and all of the furnishings and decor was beautiful and pleasing to look at. If you have things to do early in the morning, the breakfast was served at 7:30am the first morning we were there, and it was a little late coming out. We were able to wait for it, and still get to where we needed to be, but I would just recommend letting them know if you are pressed for time, it was well worth it. We could smell the aroma coming up the stairs as we were getting ready to go out for the day. The staff was very friendly and at one point, one of the girls asked me if I needed any recommendations for restaurants or things to do. She suggested a couple restaurants and was very helpful. I definitely look forward to staying there again. To explain the ratings below for the kids activities and fitness center, there are no fitness facilites or children's activities at this property, it just isn't offered and people shouldn't expect that at a B&B.

Room Tip: I only booked a room for 2 originally, but they were able to accommodate me when I called to say I n...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

beautiful little inn in the heart of charleston. we only stayed one night, but it was fantastic. third floor is quiet and quaint. free parking. friendly staff. walk to everything! highly recommend and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: third floor was quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had read reviews of this property (mostly good but 3 bad), so I e-mailed and got a reply saying there were many more good reviews than bad and that should speak for itself!! And it did!! The location of the inn was great-easy walking distance to many places and very quiet at the same time. The room was well decorated and very clean, as was the bathroom. Also, very nice toiletries were supplied. The breakfast was more than adequate and very nicely displayed. I am very glad we chose this property and would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs in the carriage house/slave quarters and it was quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan P
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location of the Inn, free parking, and Wi-Fi are definite perks. It is located next to the College of Charleston, Marion Square and King Street - all within walking distance of the Inn. Plus, there were some great restaurants and shopping, too.
The housekeeping crew was great. Continental breakfast served daily was even more than I expected. I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit and yogurt.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the pictures of each room (14). Room 9 has two queen size beds while other...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 222Elaine
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We recently stayed in the Carriage House at the Barksdale House Inn and loved it! The bed was very comfortable, the location of the Inn is great - in the center of town, so we were able to walk to everything that we wanted to do. There were wonderful restaurants within walking distance. When you came back at night you had a key to the front door, so it was like returning home after being out for the day. The only thing I didn't like was the Eucalyptus soap, because I can't stand the smell of eucalyptus, but a minor point. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a great room, and staff so friendly and breakfast Great. Close to shopping and dining!

We will definately go back and stay here again in the future. Free parking was a nice plus and they had ample parking spaces for the inn.

Rgarrett77

Room Tip: Rooms good and clean.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends