“Well Informed Staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
1837 Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were very happy with our stay here. The inn is convenient to downtown Charleston with on-site parking. Our room was fine and the staff were extremely well-informed particularly about culinary opportunities in town. We happened to be there during Charleston Restaurant Week and the staff helped us make a reservation for a Saturday night at a top-end restaurant. Breakfast was a convivial affair with good food and conversation. Accommodation is expensive in Charleston but we would be happy to return to this inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was a cute historical B&B that we stayed at for one night (wedding night). While comfortable, the room was a bit musty, nothing that we couldnt handle for the night though. We stayed in room 3-1 which had a clawfoot tub. It was a bit high and people with grace problems (like me) or who are a bit older may have issues getting out, even with a bath towel mat.
I will say everyone was extremely nice and the food was heavenly!!! We had afternoon tea after we checked in and the breakfast was big and delish! Great food to get us on the road, warm and full.
Word of caution: the parking is incredibly small on the property. Unless you have a real compact car dont even think about parking on site. Beamers, Accords or Camerys are too big.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tanith13
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at this charming bed and breakfast.We stayed in carriage house 1 and although small, we found it fit our needs perfectly.
We loved the exposed brick walls. We appreciated the convenient location as we did not rent a car and were able to walk everywhere we needed to go. The staff was always courteous and professional. They guided us to some of the best restaurants the city has to offer and all within walking distance. Each morning we were treated to a delicious breakfast. I would highly recommend the 1837 Bed and Breakfast. We will stay there next time we visit Charleston.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayne D
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stay at a B&B every year in Charlestown for the last four years and by far the best I have found. Great location, within walking distance to historic downtown. The staff is awesome and very accommodating. The owners greeted everyone every morning at their wonderful breakfast. The carriage house rooms are a little small but very nice and clean.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the entire B&B.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank clsmith335
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here November 16-19. We stayed in carriage house 2. The room was so cozy, clean and I loved the exposed brick. I really appreciated the minor, but important touches like the hair dryer, iron/ironing board, makeup remover wipes, and shampoo/conditioner. The staff was extremely nice and professional. My husband and I didn't eat breakfast here so I can't comment on that, however it smelled very delicious when we went into the dining area. We didn't eat breakfast there because we had some other breakfast places that we wanted to try out each morning. The location is a few blocks from King Street and a short walking distance to the Market and Battery. It is down a side street, however we always felt safe walking, even late at night. We would definitely stay here again. I have no complaints.

I would like to comment on some of the negative reviews. I can't believe people would complain about the parking lot. It CLEARLY states on the website that the parking lot is small and can only accommodate small cars. I drive a Hyundai Elantra and had no problems. About the towels.....they are replaced daily if left on the floor, or if you need them sooner just ask. As for the snail mail deposit, that is also clearly stated on their policies page. I'm not sure why people would complain about things that are clearly stated on the website.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank willk02
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Staying at this bed and breakfast was the best decision my daughter and I made when we planned our Charleston trip. Lynn and Jane were so nice and answered the many questions we had before we arrived. Their recommendations of where to eat and what to see were spot on. The bed and breakfast is very quaint, situated on a quiet street. Our room was beautiful and exceptionally clean. The common areas of the bed and breakfast were faithfully restored, and the owners love of the place shines through. The breakfasts were very good and gave us a great start to the day. We plan to stay with them the next time we are in Charleston, and I would encourage anyone planning a trip to stay at this place. You won't be disappointed. I marked that they have a pool and fitness area. That's a mistake on my part - they don't have pool and fitness area. But you really don't need it. We did a lot of walking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Loved this B& B! Breakfast was delicious as were the brownies and chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon. Staff was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful--would definitely stay here again! Very comfortable rooms and I really appreciated the off the street free parking space in back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends