“very well located, delicious breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
1837 Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2012

good starting point to explore Charleston's historic district. we had the room upstairs (carriage), bathroom very small - but still, we liked it very much. breakfast dish changed each day, each day something delicious. also teatime between 4 and 5 pm.

Room Tip: upstairs small bathroom, but two rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dani1204
There are newer reviews for 1837 Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just stayed in the 1837 for the first time in October. It's a very pretty historic building in an area that seems mostly inhabited by students from the College of Charleston, located only a couple of blocks over from King St. My husband and I stayed in carriage house room 1. It's a very tiny room (but I knew that from reading other reviews), but nicely furnished. The thing I liked least about it was the shower. It's one of the rooms with just a shower (sans bath) and it is TINY with a capital T. You can barely move around in it. The parking situation is tight as well. Beware if you have a large vehicle (we didn't, but the car parked right in front of our door barely left room for us to maneuver to get in and out). Despite these small drawbacks it was an overall nice situation. The staff and owners are very friendly and the inn itself is beautiful. The location puts you in walking distance of everything--a definite plus. Would I stay here again? Maybe, if I were to book one of the bigger rooms with a bath in the main house.

Room Tip: Unless you want to shower in a tiny box, pick a room with a full bath.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I've stayed here several times and loved it each time. The beds are supremely comfortable, the breakfast very social and excellent, and the innkeepers friendly & helpful. It is probably the best value in Charleston while keeping a historic air. It is always my first choice when in town. I would add it is great for couples also but since I must choose one 'sort' I will choose solo since I was made to feel very comfortable even while traveling by myself.

Room Tip: I love the rooms in the front either the 2nd or 3rd floor - both are great.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2012

In Charleston we pass one night at the 1837 it's like walk back in time in 1837. A charming place with kind staff alway's ready to answer your interrogations. A good and beautiful breakfest serve by the cook that is aware of everything in charleston. We had a great stay in the heart of the historic city enjoy it , worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here last weekend to visit our daughter at the College of Charleston (Parents Weekend). The location is perfect. The house is beautiful. We stayed on the third floor of the carriage house. It was perfect for us. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious. They gave us afternoon snack, offered nice tips when asked and the breakfast was delicious. The owners (Rick and his wife) were friendly. We loved everything about this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rwishbone
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed two nights at the 1837, a historic house of great character. The lounge and dining room were very much in keeping with the style of the house. Breakfasts were great in the local style and made breakfast a very pleasant occasion. Our room was very comfortable and furnished appropriately, there was also a table and two chairs on the balcony outside. Being a single house we had windows on both sides of the room. The owners were about and introduced themselves to all guests. The staff were all very helpful both with regard to 1837 and Charleston. A star feature was afternoon tea, the home made lemonade was delicious.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank North-Yorkist
Reviewed September 26, 2012

What a wonderful trip! I had been corresponding with Janie and Amanda about 4 months prior to our arrival. Their tips on tours, restaurants, shopping were spot on! The first night we stayed in room 3-2 and then moved to 3-1 for the remainder of our trip. Both rooms were fantastic - do prefer the 3-1 a little more. The location is within walking distance to almost everything! The breakfast in the mornings, is a full breakfast with frittata's, pastry, coffee, juice, etc. How nice it was to sit with other travelers (Munich, England, North Carolina, Michigan, Australia) and go over the events from the day prior or what we were doing that day. I found the staff (Janie, Amanda, Mrs. Emily and Rick, the owner) to go above and beyond - talk about anticipation of the guests needs!!!! The only downfall was that my husband was sick for a portion of our trip. I was in the hotel business for 25 years and it was amazing how geniune and helpful everyone was. They made us feel like we were part of a family! The location is very close to the College of Charleston and there is always people walking around day or night. We felt very safe! The b&b is also environmentally conscience - do use Green Mountain Taxi (hybrid cars). Thank you all so much and can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: If you have your choice, 3-1 is wonderful! Queen sized rice bed, beautiful fireplace and on the cor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple