“always good”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Parkwood / Farmfield
Description: The Glass Onion is one of Charleston’s original home grown, locally focused, all-natural restaurants. Owner and Executive Chef Chris Stewart opened the restaurant in 2008 with fellow culinary colleagues. It was one of the first places in town to support local farmers and purveyors with almost every dish and drink. An eighth generation Alabama native, Stewart’s love and appreciation of southern food shows through his menu. His restaurant boasts comfort food that reflects his time growing up in Alabama, as well as New Orleans and Lowcountry influences. The ever-evolving menu changes daily and features as many local, all natural, hormone-free ingredients as possible. The soulful food draws influence from Stewart’s southern heritage and family recipes, especially from his grandmother Jennie Ruth; and is available for lunch, dinner and Saturday brunch.
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“always good”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was our second visit to this restaurant. Located in West Ashley, this restaurant is an easy drive from downtown. Fresh local fare is served in a casual dinning room. My husband loves the fried quail, and this is one of the few places we've seen it on the menu. I had the meat loaf served on a bed of mashed potatos. This may be the best I've had, but I will have to do a side by side taste comparison with the meat loaf from Jestine's to make a definitive claim. The service was prompt and friendly and the food was terrific. We will be back for 3rds.

Visited April 2014

new england
“LOVED IT!”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

What a great surprise! The food I tried that I never thought I would eat, was awesome. I trieda pig ear and it was good! Farm to table food is great and should be appreciated! I will make a return trip here. I am hoping later this year. The server was very knowledgable. Bread pudding to die for, my husband only gave me one little bite. I tried the eggnog bundt cake!! Yummo!

• Visited December 2013
“Love this place. A great option not downtown”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We live on folly and love to head to the glass onion instead of heading downtown when we want farm to table food with much cheaper prices. Always fresh ingredients using what in season locally. The soup of the day is always excellent and I will say we always get the fries (with bernaise for me, ketchup for the husband) and I think they are the best fries in the US!
We also always get a pimento cheese deviled egg while we peruse the menu. Have never had a bad meal, the pasta ragout are wonderful, fish and beef...now I'm getting hungry! Brunch is well worth it too, love the local honey with biscuit.

Visited December 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Monday Night Special”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Visited on a Monday night when there was live music and half price wine. The place doesn't look like too much, but there was a warm welcome and good service.
Between us we had the lamb pasta and the meatloaf, both were good and finished off promptly!
Wasn't quite as impressed with the desserts, but thats being picky. Would go back.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank BigDraw
San Antonio, Texas
“Unique but not my style”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stopped by this place due ot the rave reviews but it was not what we expected at all. It was a smaller eatery in a small strip center type area with a small parking lot. We were not greeted when we entered and we stood looking around to figure out the set-up. Someone did come over and seated us at a booth. The atmosphere is very casual and homey which is fine by us but then when given the menu it was not what we expected. The food was unique but not our style of eating. First thing, the waitress asked if we had reserved the fried chicken. That must be in high demand or something. We hadn't as we do not eat fried chicken. Then she came by continually to ask if we were ready to order or had questions. We just couldn't find anything appealing to us to order. We debated about walking out but decided not to so one of us ordered the pork chop dish and the other just a side salad. We figured these were safe bets. Well surprise to us the pork chop dish was not what you would expect. The chop was shredding and mixed in a bowl with other stuff. The side salad was pretty much just greens. For the price we were not impressed. The only thing stand out about this was the not usual offerings. I rated this average, even though the food wasn't average but just not to our tastes. Didn't want to give a poor rating because our taste buds are more to the normal style of eating. If you want to try unusual offerings then give them a try.

• Visited April 2014