“Oh my goodness!!!”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Parkwood / Farmfield
Description: The Glass Onion is one of Charleston’s original home grown, locally focused, all-natural restaurants. Owner and Executive Chef Chris Stewart opened the restaurant in 2008 with fellow culinary colleagues. It was one of the first places in town to support local farmers and purveyors with almost every dish and drink. An eighth generation Alabama native, Stewart’s love and appreciation of southern food shows through his menu. His restaurant boasts comfort food that reflects his time growing up in Alabama, as well as New Orleans and Lowcountry influences. The ever-evolving menu changes daily and features as many local, all natural, hormone-free ingredients as possible. The soulful food draws influence from Stewart’s southern heritage and family recipes, especially from his grandmother Jennie Ruth; and is available for lunch, dinner and Saturday brunch.
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely best meal! Our server Caitlin was amazing too! Hubby had beef tenderloin which he said was awesome. I had the catfish which was simply the best! I got the bread pudding to go and enjoyed it a few hours later...wonderful! You must dine here!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We came in during the downpour of a dark night, the staff's warm welcome helped allay our first bad encounter with the weather in Charleston.

The staff was friendly and explained the menu well, which changes daily.

Though it does not have as many choices as I imagined, it does have some interesting dishes, especially in "Soup, Salad and Other Stuff."

I keenly remember the buttermilk fried pig ear dish which is different from what would have been prepared in Taiwan and elsewhere for the Chinese cuisine. However, it was pretty good, and definitely enhances my culinary experience.

The place is small and quite cozy. They don't use tablecloth, rather they use a roll of brown paper, which demonstrates that they really mean to help Mother Earth.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were able to have the fried chicken dinner on a Tuesday night and it was wonderful. We were only in the area for the one evening, so I can't review the other food. But the chicken was so good that I'm sorry we couldn't have come back another night for some of the other food. If you're in the area on a Tuesday, make a reservation and have the chicken! Yum.

1  Thank CathyFitz2451
Reviewed December 30, 2013

OMG luckily our cab driver mentioned this place as we drove by. He said it was on the TV show diners and drive inns. I had the fish dish called sheepshead and my husband had pork chops. They both where awesome. We ordered bread pudding for dessert and it was ok. The atmosphere is very relaxing. The staff are awesome.

1  Thank Sharon N
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband saw this restaurant on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and we went for my birthday.The menu features all local and fresh meats and vegetables, great beer list too. The special my husband ordered that evening was so good as was the Sheepshead fish dish that I ordered. My husband also had the beet salad which he thoroughly enjoyed. The server was as sweet as can be, attentive and friendly. We will be back!

1  Thank EllieJJ