“Overrated”

Toast Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 951 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We're not sure if it had to do with the fact that it was packed July 4th weekend in Charleston, but this restaurant did not live up to expectations. When we arrived there was a crowd waiting outside. I was expecting to be told the wait would be at least an hour, but was pleasantly surprised when the hostess said the wait would be 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, I went back to check on our wait time, only to find out that there were still a lot of people ahead of us. The hostess was short with me and told me the 25 minutes was just an estimate. We ended up waiting an hour.

From previous reviews, I knew the food would be worth the wait. Boy was I wrong. I ordered the spinach salmon salad with balsamic vinaigrette. The texture of the salmon was tough, and I'm sure it had been frozen, the spinach was not fresh and the vinaigrette surely came from a bottle. My son's turkey sandwich looked and tasted like something I would have quick whipped up for him at home. To be fair, my wife really enjoyed her shrimp and grits. I'm allergic to shrimp, so I cannot speak to it.

The reason for the second "star" was our server Lashon. Without her, this would have been a one star review. She was very pleasant and attentive and smoothed over our experience with the food and wait, thanks Lashon. Like I said, I'm not sure if the business of the place contributed to the negative experience, but I can only judge the experience we had.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,574)

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We ate here our last day in town, Yoni greeted us at the door and was very pleasant and helpful.

The espresso and Café Americano is done really well. Traditional breakfast fare with a few specialties on the menu as well. A nice way to end our visit to Charleston.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Sharon proved to be an outstanding host in aiding us with a great table and choice in a meal. The atmosphere is the perfect for downtown Charleston. Lashawn, our waitress, was outstanding and helpful! The food is hearty and delicious, sprinkled with a bit of zest of Charleston. Great place to take your family or even washing off a bit of hair of the dog. The staff here really do go above and beyond in serving their customers no matter what the issue is.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Sharon made sure we were well taken cared of. LaShon was a great waitress! One of my favorites is the Bacon Jalepeno Bloody Mary. One of the best bloody mary's ive had.

1  Thank Charles C
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

This is always am amazing place to eat. The deluxe French toast is amazing. Get the apples instead of peaches. The bacon bloody Mary's are the best I've ever had! The manager is so courteous. Tons of southern hospitality. Be prepared to wait for a bit, but it's totally worth it. You can also get drinks while you wait.